Clutch replacement cost @ garages - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
thetruth

Default Clutch replacement cost @ garages

Okay my clutch is shot and needs replacement. i have never encountered something like this before. ive read up on DIY clutch installments but my garage lacks tools so i have no other choice. my question is how much would i be looking at for an oem replacement + installation? just doing my research before a shop tries to screw with my pockets. thanks

Last edited by thetruth; 07-06-2005 at 04:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
RangerMike

I was in your situation when I first purchased my CRX, and most shops quoted about $400-$500 for installation and the OEM replacement. A local guy here just paid something crazy like $600 or $650 for an OEM clutch install in his 93 (I think) civic DX. My advice is to search, and ask around for locals who may have the know how to do it cheaply.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 16 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

I'd expect somewhere between $300-$350. It should only take a competent shop 3-4hrs to do the install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

around here they charge 400-450

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
thetruth

i think ive already been lied to by a shop.. one shop quoted me around 550-600 and told me it would take approx. 6hrs, 2nd shop quoted me for 600-700. ill look in the phonebook and give other places a call. thanks for looking out guys.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 G-rat will become famous soon enoughG-rat will become famous soon enoughG-rat will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to G-rat

$500 forthe local shop here in napa cali. they say it will take a full day. im just gonna do it my self seeing as how i got friend that has done it plenty of times. if you can do it your self with some help then go that way cause it will save u so mych money in the long run
G-rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Buy one of these and take it to a shop to install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33730
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 necro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Imo if u dont need the car for everyday purpose then try to do it yourself. I started doing it last summer in the heat and w/o a garage. Your best bet is to start buying tools to do the swap. U mostly need a 17" socket, 19", 32" (axle nut), an misc sockets. Of course jack stands i got mines for $15 a pair. A shop told me 1 time it would cost $350-$400. I told him then i'll do it my damn self.

And while your at it...get a better clutch instead of oem. It'll be worth it in the long run. I learn quick by watching & helping friends work on their cars. So that's how i learned plus i bought the book on my car.
necro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
thetruth

the thing is i would love to do it myself but i dont have the tools and i dont have enough money to start buying them now. i have another question that just came to mind. if i replace the clutch is it necessary to replace the flywheel??? ill probably end up buying my own parts and having a shop install them.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 necro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

No u dont need to replace the flywheel. Do u have a socket set? If not honestly u should buy 1. Not only for tranny work, but any work u need to do w/ your car.
necro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth
i think ive already been lied to by a shop.. one shop quoted me around 550-600 and told me it would take approx. 6hrs, 2nd shop quoted me for 600-700. ill look in the phonebook and give other places a call. thanks for looking out guys.
6-6.5 hours is the book labor for a tranny/clutch swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
6-6.5 hours is the book labor for a tranny/clutch swap.
the two times ive had mine done, i paid 200-250 for the labor, and provided the parts myself
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

it's always a good idea to resurface the flywheel while you have the clutch off.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
RangerMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth
the thing is i would love to do it myself but i dont have the tools and i dont have enough money to start buying them now.
If you're gonna spend like 4 or 500 hundred for an install, you could definently buy some nice tools with that! But, as you said- you'd be better off at least buying the clutch yourself. Two years ago (when I had no idea how to do it myself), I bought my Exedy clutch for $125 off ebay, then had the local shop install it for $150.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 boostREX is learning the way of the DboostREX is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

From my experiences.. I bought a Haynes manual for general reference and changed the clutch myself on my CRX. You dont really need that many tools on earlier Hondas. Oh I got an exedy clutch and resurfaced the flywheel with an emery cloth cause the flywheel was good (was driven by an old lady its whole life)
boostREX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
calboi510

it's not that hard to do a clutch change.

if you work on cars, might as well invest in some good tools. i bought a set from sears, for 2 bills, lifetime warranty, can't beat that. it has just about every part i needed.

2 bills versus 5 bills for clutch install, you figure the math. and you wont use the tools only once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in