Trans For Highway Racing? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: cleveland ohio, land of snow, salt, turbo deisel dualies, and lip-spoiler destroying potholes
Rep Power: 16 YakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to YakuzaKirby Send a message via MSN to YakuzaKirby Send a message via Yahoo to YakuzaKirby
Question Trans For Highway Racing?

alright... maybe this is an odd and somewhat unconventional question... but uhh...
ok im trying to gather money for my 5speed swap- figured while im building a new block might as well build a tranny too...

im looking for something that'll have decent pickup in first and second- but not a whole lot, cause uhh, sitting there slipping is no fun-
and i want 3rd 4th and 5th to be for highway racing... with as high as possible of top speed in 5th...

so uhh- the tranny im lookin to buy is a CX trans, with Si final drive (4.25)
i've been searchin around... would the 0.702 fifth gear in the CX trans be the best for top speed? or is there anything better?

any help is highly appreciated-

current car=
'87 Supra 5-speed Turbo Targa-
LIPP Boss series T04E-61mm, LIPP AFM housing, Lexus AFM, BIC DDP, 3.5" downpipe-back, K&N intake, HKS SSQV, GReddy Profec B boost controller, Apex'i AFC NEO, HKS 1.2mm mhg, wideband with AEM AFR gauge. Walboro 255lph pump, RC820cc injectors stock suspension. Block Bored .020 and decked by Webber Racing, Head milled .010 and 5-angle valve job by Webber Racing
ARP rod bolts, ARP headstuds... Clevite 77 bearings
483rwhp @22psi
putting it back together...

oh yeah. and i have a turbo del sol. almost forgot. lolz.

BTW. COD4. XBOX Live gamertag = AM6 Zero

I will newb-tube the fuck out of you. lol
YakuzaKirby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

the HX might have a better gearing ratio for what you are looking for...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 k1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcano
k1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

i dont know much about trannys but i thought y7/y8 trannys had the better 5th gear?

*Mia*
2000 Honda EJ8 D16Y8
EJ8 Squad #269
k1dfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

^^to be quick yes...but kirby is looking for top end speed, not so much the quickness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

if you want some top speed I love my y8 tranny..
great long final gear
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 k1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcano
k1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcanok1dfreeze is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

i was thinking like rotory...cus i know with b series trannys, the vtec tranncys are yes shorter for quickness, but their 5th and final is a lot longer for higher top speed...so i deduced this was the same with vtec d series trannys

*Mia*
2000 Honda EJ8 D16Y8
EJ8 Squad #269
k1dfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 civicsi94  is slowly gaining respectcivicsi94  is slowly gaining respectcivicsi94  is slowly gaining respectcivicsi94  is slowly gaining respectcivicsi94  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to civicsi94

yeah prolly the hx. the gears are very long. i believe thats what i had. made 85mph in 2nd gear and 3rd is the rest. lol no need for 4th and 5th. seriously but i recently snapped the throwout bearing so i am back to the ex trans
civicsi94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

a stock 92-95 Si will be perfect, 4.25 FD and .750 5th..........

Good for 150 mph......

But unless you spend a good $1200 into the suspension your gonna wreck the car.

Then well talk about tires.......

Haven't even got to who your gonna list on your death clause..........I mean your insurance policy.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Last edited by transzex; 06-29-2005 at 01:19 PM.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Can I have your turbo stuff when you die?
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2005, 06:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 16 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

aerodynamics start to become an issue as well... my car became much more stable at speeds > 70mph after adding a front air dam.

|
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2005, 06:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hondaphile

Rep Power: 17 ottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ottomaticjack Send a message via MSN to ottomaticjack Send a message via Yahoo to ottomaticjack

Well providing it's not a shitty road, mine is pretty stable above 80, hell I've had it up to 120 or so for about an hour and never had a problem....but Bone, is there a significant gearing difference between the 92-95 si and 92-95 ex trannys?

Good sellers and stuff....NastyhabitzCRX, Icarusdown, Infamousz6, fast88, drew95eg, cuong-nutz, Sonny7730

"We have a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she ordered the lobster...."
ottomaticjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

yes, I listed it above.

But at 120mph a bridge gap will ruin your day...........

Ever had your car jump a lane at 120+ mph because the suspension bottomed out?????

You lift, steer, or brake, your gonna die or wish you had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: cleveland ohio, land of snow, salt, turbo deisel dualies, and lip-spoiler destroying potholes
Rep Power: 16 YakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to YakuzaKirby Send a message via MSN to YakuzaKirby Send a message via Yahoo to YakuzaKirby

lolol- dont worry guys, though i wanna do the swap (and probably am going to) i dont plan on taking it anywhere past 100 for a while- not untill i get some nice adjustable shocks, coilovers, polyurethane bushings for everything, do a bit of reinforcement to the chassis, and get some nice new tires...

in other words, i just want the capable tranny for now, wont even try it till the rest is up to par,
my chassis and suspension have 150k miles on them... and i had that thing up to 115mph before, when it was N/A- and every little tiny bump scared the shit out of me... lol- fun as hell though...

current car=
'87 Supra 5-speed Turbo Targa-
LIPP Boss series T04E-61mm, LIPP AFM housing, Lexus AFM, BIC DDP, 3.5" downpipe-back, K&N intake, HKS SSQV, GReddy Profec B boost controller, Apex'i AFC NEO, HKS 1.2mm mhg, wideband with AEM AFR gauge. Walboro 255lph pump, RC820cc injectors stock suspension. Block Bored .020 and decked by Webber Racing, Head milled .010 and 5-angle valve job by Webber Racing
ARP rod bolts, ARP headstuds... Clevite 77 bearings
483rwhp @22psi
putting it back together...

oh yeah. and i have a turbo del sol. almost forgot. lolz.

BTW. COD4. XBOX Live gamertag = AM6 Zero

I will newb-tube the fuck out of you. lol
YakuzaKirby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in