noise in 1st gear only- bearing? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
elamigo77

Default noise in 1st gear only- bearing?

Hey i'm about to pull my crx si tranny out and replace the bearings. The input shaft bearing are certainly going out, but it has a growling noise in 1st gear only. could that be mainshaft bearings? anyone heard that before?

Also, when replacing the bearings do i have to change the selective washer for the mainshaft? Thanks so much guys,

-Robb
(newbie)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2005, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Lule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I only heard mine in first gear.
Lule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 SillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropes
Send a message via AIM to SillyImportRacer Send a message via Yahoo to SillyImportRacer

I have the same 1st gear only noise. Is that the main shaft bearing? How difficult is this repair?
SillyImportRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2005, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 boostREX is learning the way of the DboostREX is learning the way of the D

Same exact problem here.. is my tranny gonna poop on me if I dont change it before I go turbo.
boostREX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 SillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropes
Send a message via AIM to SillyImportRacer Send a message via Yahoo to SillyImportRacer

So, are we the only ones w/ this problem?
Dose anyone know the best real fix?

can we get a little help here?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

the best real fix is to obviously replace it. And when you replace it you'll notice if anything else is broken inside the gearbox. If this is your only car, I'd recommend having a spare tranny to swap with because your first time inside the tranny might take a little while just to make sure you don't miss anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 04:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

By "it" you ment the main shaft bearing or Input shaft bearing?
Thanks

I can get a good used tranny w/ warenty for $350. I think I'll be swaping tranies w/ the engine. I might hang on to the old tranny & do the bearing latter.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
bennjamin

my car makes the same audible "whine " in first gear ( like when in reverse ) - and , if you slow down in 2nd or 3rd and cruise along slowly you can still hear the same noise.

What is it ? I replaced my ISB about 4 months ago and this noise is still there...Mmmm
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

main shaft and input shaft are the same thing. I think maybe the input shaft bearing refers to the bearing closest to the clutch though... not the other end of the shaft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 03:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I see. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most dificult, how difficult is it to replace both bearings?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

depends on your level.

Me it equals about 1.1, you it could be 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I was a noob with trannies, and once i got the tranny open it was about a 3, on 1-10. ISB was a lot easier than i thought it was gonna be. I've yet to tackle the other bearing.

But all the stuff to get the tranny out of the car, and making sure you put it all together in the right order, like putting in the shift interlock guide bolt LAST, is where the real effort and time is. Took me 3 weeks of evenings in the garage, but that included motor mount stuff, axle seals, ball joints, and a bunch of other worn-out parts.
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in