dropped socket.... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 tank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default dropped socket....

yeah, like the title says, i dropped a socket in my tranny housing. (i had to pull the starter to break loose the crank pulley) do i have to pull the tranny to get it out? i've been trying to get it out with a magnet but thats not working. i just don't want to pull the tranny just yet but if i have to, i will. btw it's a 97 y7
tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

I did this accidentally once, good thing the motor was sitting on a palette and not in the car.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Integra Project Car:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

i would guess that the tranny would have to come off. it is probably sitting at the bottom of the housing under the clutch, and i dont think a magnet would be able to reach it

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 steve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

wow thats a bitch and a half lol
steve98ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Try a magnet from the side, the filler plug (or the drain plug)

Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

There is a giant magnent at the bottom of the tranny... I am willing to bet its stuck to that.

Probably going to have to pull the tranny!

Check out my civic build here -->

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
bennjamin

get a TV / car antenna ( extendable) or long pole and stick some double sided sticky tape on one end - use a flash light to guide the end in , and push it firmly onto the desired object. IF its not too heavy/stuck it should stick and be able to be pulled back up to saftey.

well , best of luck !
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

have you taken the flywheel cover plate off? if it fell in when you removed the starter, then you might be able to get it out here. it wouldnt be inside the tranny itself jacking up your gears.

btw to get the cover plate off, you have to remove the little brackets holding it on, and maybe 2 of your oilpan bolts.
racerpat94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerpat94
have you taken the flywheel cover plate off? if it fell in when you removed the starter, then you might be able to get it out here. it wouldnt be inside the tranny itself jacking up your gears.

btw to get the cover plate off, you have to remove the little brackets holding it on, and maybe 2 of your oilpan bolts.
Damn, good point!!! PR4U!

Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 tank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to alltank is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

thats cool, but if going to do all that work i might as well go ahead and pull the tranny and slap on the y8 tranny i got in the garage. just didn't want to start another project cause i haven't drove my car since january. that crank pulley had me by the balls for a while, cause i work almost 12hrs everyday and when i get some time off, i need to spend it with my family u know?! but thanks for the info and help guys

alan
tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2005, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

^yeah. the best thing i ever did to my car was put the y8 tranny on. its a big difference from the cx one. for those bastard crank pulleys, i found that a 3/4" impact ratchet works great. 3/8 and 1/2 just dont have the power. a lot of auto shops have a 3/4. the one here told me that for $10 he would break it loose and hand tighten it back so i could go home and take it off. anyway good luck w/ the tranny.
racerpat94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 12:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Bad news, your gonna have to yank the tranny..............

The size of the pressure plate/flywheel is not gonna allow the socket to drop out the bottom.

I just checked this on a S20 tranny in the shop. Starting the engine is a BAD idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in