Clutch And Tranny Help... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 SleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enoughSleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enoughSleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SleepingCRX88
Default Clutch And Tranny Help...

I have a 88 Si tranny and a 90 DX tranny....and which eva one i decide to use im gonna have to buy a new clutch....im plan on goin turbo and making some good amount power so im gonna need sumthin to withhold it...so which would be the best choice tranny for goin turbo and some good clutchs and places i can get them...Thanks in advance for any help and advice....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<<< Share the rep
SleepingCRX88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 SleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enoughSleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enoughSleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enough

Bump Bump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<<< Share the rep
Old 06-15-2005, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

depends on what you are looking for, good gas mileage, or a VERY wuick car...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

quick car

<<< Share the rep
Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
fast1.6

go with the si trans. Your clutch is going to be strictly for the 88 trans its a 200 mm clutch. I got an exedy stage 1 and its real nice but for boost im not sure we will find out when i get there if it holds.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

^^what he said with a stage 2 clutch

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I'd go with a 212mm clutch, 21 spline, 90-91 flywheel, like a Streetlite XACT.......esp. with the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
calboi510

the 88 had a smaller flywheel contact area with the clutch.

and the 88 tranny is a fucken bastard as well.

go with the dx since you are not going N/A it wont hurt to go with the dx.

what year is your flywheel? or are you planning to get a new one?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
I'd go with a 212mm clutch, 21 spline, 90-91 flywheel, like a Streetlite XACT.......esp. with the turbo.
^^^What he said, because so far everyone else is incorrect the 88 disc is 190mm 21 spline.

Use the 212mm disc from a 90 prelude 2.0 with a 91 pressure plate and flywheel. Oh and keep the Si tranny. Being turbo or not has no effect on your gearing.
fast88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2005, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

u sure its a 90 prelude? i thought it was a older year prelude that u had to use the clutch disc from? and will the stock clutch disc from a prelude be able to hold the power with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate for a 90 crx? And i have a 7lb flywheel...should i go with a heavier one? or will a 7lb be ok with that setup?

<<< Share the rep

Last edited by SleepingCRX88; 06-18-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

use the dx tranny if ur going turbo.
Nikkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingCRX88
u sure its a 90 prelude? i thought it was a older year prelude that u had to use the clutch disc from?
Oops sorry my bad....It's the one from the 84-87 2.0L prelude Si. I had my disc and pressure plates mixed up!

Quote:
and will the stock clutch disc from a prelude be able to hold the power with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate for a 90 crx?
Depends on the amount of torque your making. I would go with a stage 1 or 2 CM or ACT typr clutch unless your going to make gobs of torque. All of the aftermarket clutch sellers have discs from 84-87 preludes. They also have specific kits with the prelude disc and the 90 pressure plate.

Quote:
And i have a 7lb flywheel...should i go with a heavier one? or will a 7lb be ok with that setup?
That's personal preference I like the lighter flywheels. Some people say they get better launches from a heavier wheel. I don't know if that's true or not. I don't have any problems. I would think with a turbo it would not matter.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkon
use the dx tranny if ur going turbo.
Why?! Based on what? That's like saying use the HF engine if your going turbo... It doesn't make sense and you've provided no basis for the statement nor have you substantiated your claims.

Si is better
Old 06-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

based on the larger diameter,more clutch and flywheel options that will better suite a turbos needs.
Nikkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

same options with the 88 tranny, only slower with the DX tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in