I want a killer 1-4, with a cruising 5th... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
onefasazn

Default I want a killer 1-4, with a cruising 5th...

I will have my motor setup ready to go in a month and I am now lookling at tranny options. I've done some researching in the tranny FAQ's and want a killer trans. I'll be using a Y8 trans, and may have a hook for a ZC trans or two...

The setup that Bone mentioned intrigued me, I believe it was:

Y8 1st
Y8 2nd
ZC 3rd
ZC 4th

Now would a HF fifth fit? Or can I use another 5th out of a gas-saver hydro trans?

I want the highest possible final drive I can put in there. Fast88 has that ZXi FD that is pretty hard to find, so what is the next best option?

any help is appreciated.

thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Out of a honda i'd say the ex/si 4.25 FD.
grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

your 5th gear, .702 is so close to a HF 5th, .694, it is not worth changing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 26 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to builthatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefasazn
I will have my motor setup ready to go in a month and I am now lookling at tranny options. I've done some researching in the tranny FAQ's and want a killer trans. I'll be using a Y8 trans, and may have a hook for a ZC trans or two...

The setup that Bone mentioned intrigued me, I believe it was:

Y8 1st
Y8 2nd
ZC 3rd
ZC 4th

Now would a HF fifth fit? Or can I use another 5th out of a gas-saver hydro trans?

I want the highest possible final drive I can put in there. Fast88 has that ZXi FD that is pretty hard to find, so what is the next best option?

any help is appreciated.

thanks
SRR final drive with the combo you listed might be killer. I have yet to know anyone who can report the difference when installing one of their FD's, however, i can only imagine since the difference between a LS trans and a Type R trans, if the engine stays the same, is night and day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
EisaDseriesMan

hey wat where are you buing your gears from.i would like to know. cuz i looking to do a tranny to i need a stroung tranny that would hold like 400 hp.. let me know if you find one
Old 05-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
onefasazn

so Zex, should I just use the ZC 3rd & 4th? But with what final drive? and will the .771 5th fit?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 BlackMoon  is accepted as part of the communityBlackMoon  is accepted as part of the communityBlackMoon  is accepted as part of the communityBlackMoon  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i have a friend looking to sell his toda gearbox with toda gearing . selling for US$1k + shipping . close 1234 let me know if u want
BlackMoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

whats the gearing in the toda box?
grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
SRR sells 4.7 & 4.9 for both hydro and cable transmissions for about 5 bills.
OPM or houseman has 4.73 gears for cable's only for a cool grand.
I sell hybrid tranmissions with the 4.43 in them.

Quote:
whats the gearing in the toda box?
probably same AS si/ex with a 4.7 or 4.9 FD
fast88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2005, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

ZC dohc L3 transmission 2-3-4 gear with 1-5 and final drive from an SI one, should kick ass for quarter mile acceleration for less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast88
I sell hybrid tranmissions with the 4.43 in them.
how much are you asking for this thing?
mcleod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2005, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

leave the Si 1-2-5 alone, just swap 3-4.......

Z6 on slicks with that tranny vs. a stock EX = no difference in the 1/4 mile.

BUT oh so fun on the street!

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
onefasazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
BUT oh so fun on the street!
Thats what im looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST88
I sell hybrid transmissions with the 4.43 in them.
I can get the ZC tranny, but will the cable gears swap into my Y8 case? If so, I need one built. I have another spare Y8 trans to use, and a ZC for the donor 3-4. I want it with the 4.43 FD as well. fast88 where you located? and how much for the trans setup?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

ZC is not a direct fit, 4th needs grinding.

Never seen a 4.437 Hydro FD set, the cable FD doesn't swap in.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
onefasazn

but would I be able to run a 3rd gear out of a HF trans in place of 4th in my y8 trans?

so it would be like this:

Y8 - 1st
Y8 - 2nd
ZC - 3rd
HF/DX/STD 4g 3rd - 4th
Y8 - 5th
FD - ? or SRR 4.7

and would the OPM LSD fit my trans?

Thanks again...

Last edited by onefasazn; 05-22-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

finding the ZC 3rd by itself is the hard part. There are no more in the JDM parts bins either.

What tranny is the OPM LSD out of??????

Quote:
Old 05-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 26 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
What tranny is the OPM LSD out of??????
let me preface this if have never seen one in use, however, supposedly OPM can convert any sohc diff; it is sorta like a phantom grip, however, they incorporate clutch packs and a spring and block instead of just the spring&block of the PG.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

they also change the weak diff pin for a better one.

I talked with Tom years ago about it. Myself I could not justify the $650 for a OPM when a Kaaz could be had for $750.

Phantom SLIP copied the CRE/OPM design, without the clutch pack. I'll have pics shortly of ruined pinion gear washers from Phantom Slip useage.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2005, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
they also change the weak diff pin for a better one.

I talked with Tom years ago about it. Myself I could not justify the $650 for a OPM when a Kaaz could be had for $750.

Phantom SLIP copied the CRE/OPM design, without the clutch pack. I'll have pics shortly of ruined pinion gear washers from Phantom Slip useage.
it's weird tho because i had a PG for 4 years with no issues, however, i am thinking it might have been because i really didn't jump on the car all that much and/or use slicks every weekend.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

what year tranny though..........collecting more info as always........

Quote:
Old 05-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
what year tranny though..........collecting more info as always........

a z6 then a y8; 2 trannies...

like i said tho, i am one of those people who really baby the damn thing; ive always been like that...so i can imagine that might have something to do with it giving me no trouble.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in