Tips for snap ring? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina
Default Tips for snap ring?

Was going to put a Z6 trans in I bought since the ITR Expo is coming up. Turns out the trans is crap. Disassembling it and I cannot get the snap ring off for the life of me. Any tips?
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Needlenose pliers in the closed position within the gap in the ring...then open them slightly, while slowly prying the case open

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
bspeed

Buy the Lisle snap ring pliers (with the teeth, kinda like inside-out pliers)at pepboys or whatever is close. They are $20 give or take, and are totally worth every cent, way way way easier than using a fat screwdriver or pushing needlenose pliers the wrong way.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

this is what you need...........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

Yes, you need a tool shaped exactly like that ^^^ needlenose pliers don't work so well because the plier end is still a little too big. And don't get the super cheap snap ring pliers, I did and they didn't work (the kind where you can change the tips out)... sucks!

That tool transzex shows is the way to go...

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
bspeed

That is exactly the one I was talking about, take your pick on who you want to buy it from, Craftsman, Lisle, Snap-on...... They are all the same thing with a different name on them.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
Yes, you need a tool shaped exactly like that ^^^ needlenose pliers don't work so well because the plier end is still a little too big.
They are???

Interesting...I have successfully seperated many of these without the use of any special tools!

Maybe I am just better than you guys

Old 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Already tried needlenose and snap ring pliers. I'll give it another try when I'm not so pissed off at it.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

well, you do have to use a big flathead screwdriver to pry up on the casing while you're trying to open the snapring... try prying from a couple of different sides until it pops

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
bspeed

It also helps quite a bit if you put a block of wood or something under two opposing edges of the case as it lets the mainshaft drop that 1/4 inch more easily.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

mainshaft doesn't drop. It is held in place under tension by the thrust washer at the Input shaft bushing.

The countershaft might "drop" 1/16 - 1/8" when the snap ring is released.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
bspeed

main, counter, elevator all the shafts are the same to me! I still put the things on blocks to work on 'em.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspeed
main, counter, elevator all the shafts are the same to me! I still put the things on blocks to work on 'em.
I agree, it does help

Old 05-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

LOL, 2x4's 12" long is what I use to keep tranny "up" and mainshaft clear.

Similar ideas, same result.............

Quote:
Old 05-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 hondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
LOL, 2x4's 12" long is what I use to keep tranny "up" and mainshaft clear.

Similar ideas, same result.............

gotta love the ingenuity...its one of a kind

1993 Honda Civic EX - D15B7 Goodness
1991 Nissan 240sx - RB20DET Power
hondaboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

just a redneck playing with Hondas.

Sure I'd love a V8, but you ever try to work on a 82-2002 F Body or 79+ Mustang???????

Quote:
Old 05-24-2005, 05:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Have you ever replaced a waterpump on a northstar caddy? Can you say muthaffff

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 02:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

drop the cradle!

When a shop manual mentions that as the first major set, I runaway!

Quote:
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunnamdog244 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default sorry for hijacking

alright i have a pair of snap ring pliers and now im trying to put the transmission back togeather, but the counter shaft drops too low to get the snap ring over the berring(sp) the counter shaft drops like 1/4''. any tips for getting this damn thing togeather?
mdog244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

thanks for digging up a two year old thread, rightfully!

Means you were searching, cannot fault you there.

A) expand snap ring over the CS bearing to drop the case on.
B) install the case bolts (13?) and tighten to 20-22 ft/lbs
C) flip tranny over shoulder to allow the countershaft to drop into place and lock in.

I've been good/lucky enough to install the 30/32mm plug before locking in the countershaft.........but them again I know what to listen for.

BTW, Welcome to D-Series.org

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in