92-95 d16z6 tranny onto 96-00 d16y8 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
jdmej8

Default 92-95 d16z6 tranny onto 96-00 d16y8

Hey guys I need to swap out my tranny in my 98 civic ex coupe d16y8 motor wondering if the 92-95 d16z6 tranny is a direct bolt on. I have an opportunity to pick up a mint 93 tranny just wondering if i'll have any big issues doing that.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 steve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

i'm in the same spot as you, my 98 ex tranny is going too, what's wrong with yours?
steve98ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
jdmej8

Mine is making a loud winding/whirring sound when in 1st,2nd,3rd...goes away when i press the clutch. I've been reading up about it and it may just be a bearing. So while that's getting fixed I can use the z6 tranny....

What's up with yours steve?

and I think I may have an answer to my question i got from h-t... can anyone confirm this?

chowmien 'Straight bolt on affair. I did my tranny swap (z6 tranny on y7 block) 2 weeks ago.'

Old 04-29-2005, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 steve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eaglesteve98ex is fly like an eagle

wow same thing with me, i took it to a transmission shop and they say $600 to fix it for now, $1000 to do it right
Old 04-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
jdmej8

Wow must be some plagued issue for our motors or something....I read up about it on honda-tech they say 'main shaft bearing' is going....thats why I rushed to pick up this z6 tranny for the meantime I can run that...
cuz i know it could be costly to fix.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah i think they said input shaft bearing for me, but prob same thing, it sucks.

how hard is it to swap transmissions out?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

$35 in parts to fix ISB..........

Yes 92-95 and 96-00 trannys are interchangeable. 1-2 bolts for the flywheel cover won't line up, but the stiffener will do the job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
jdmej8

Apparently not very hard....i'm picking up the tranny for $160 tomorrow and i've been quoted $100 to install. But I might just do it myself with the help of a buddy who works at a acura dealership. Might even do clutch/flywheel at the sametime if not both then prolly at least the clutch....
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

thats it? how hard is it to do? i'm mechanically inclined but transmissions freak me out a little
Old 04-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
jdmej8

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
$35 in parts to fix ISB..........

Yes 92-95 and 96-00 trannys are interchangeable. 1-2 bolts for the flywheel cover won't line up, but the stiffener will do the job!
Thanks transzex....hmm so the bolts for the flywheel cover won't matter? and what is the stiffener..sorry I don't know much about trannys
Old 04-29-2005, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
jdmej8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve98ex
thats it? how hard is it to do? i'm mechanically inclined but transmissions freak me out a little
that makes two of us
Old 04-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

i always think gears and springs and shit will fall out if i take it apart lol
Old 04-30-2005, 08:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmej8
Thanks transzex....hmm so the bolts for the flywheel cover won't matter? and what is the stiffener..sorry I don't know much about trannys
Then engine to tranny stiffener will hold the flywheel cover in place. You'll have to remove the exhaust to get it out of the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
jdmej8

This is what I got as a response from someon on honda-tech...anyone confirm this?

"yes it's a direct bolt on. Except the middle bolt on the top tranny mount is different between z6 and y8 (the studs are the same). And you will need to transfer your hydrolic clutch line mount (my name for it) from your y8 to z6 because it's routed differently."

Not sure if I follow what he means the middle bolt is different on the top tranny mount...but the studs being the same...

Will i still be able to attach the z6 tranny to the top y8 tranny mount? considering what was said above?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

taking apart the transmission is not that bad.

The hardest part is taking it off the car.

Next hardest is getting that snap ring to come off the shaft so you can take the transmission housing off. However, if you have the right snap ring pliers (GOOD quality ones)... it'll come off without too much fuss.

As far as changing the bearings, you don't have to take much of the tranny apart to get it out. Only 4-5 little bolts to keep track of from the inside... that's it.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in