input shaft bearing? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 mynameistin  is accepted as part of the communitymynameistin  is accepted as part of the communitymynameistin  is accepted as part of the communitymynameistin  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mynameistin
Default input shaft bearing?

ok well at idle the car has this CHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound coming frm the tranny...if i engage the clutch give it about a second and it goes away. im assuming it doesthe noise while driving but cant hear over exhaust and jsut the engine in general. im assuming its the input shaft bearing. if thats the case. jsut open up the tranny case remove both shafts and just knock the bearing out and just lay a new one in and good to go for replacing that bearing? thanks in advance guys
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

When's the last time you checked your tranny fluid level? Mine wasn't *bad* but it was noisy as heck cuz all my tranny fluid leaked out an axle seal. I ended up replacing it anyways. Didn't feel like having bearing balls floating into something and destroying everything.

It's somewhat more involved than your description, but that's basically it. Don't forget the washers next to the ISB on the mainshaft, the mainshaft seal, and axle seals. The whole reason my ISB died was 'cuz the mechanic didn't replace the seals when he did my clutch.

Remember- if you do it yourself, don't rush it! Be SURE you don't do something stupid, like put the weight of the tranny on the mainshaft, or put in the shift interlock guide bolt in at the wrong time. It could get really expensive!!! It helps to have someone level-headed helping you out, especially when you're trying to lift the tranny out and into the car.

Good DIY instructions:
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14079

For torque specs:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/technical/albums.php

FYI, my ISB removal took me 3 weeks because of other problems. Ordering parts, a bad motor mount, a bad ball joint, and bad axle seals were only some of the problems I ran into. Be prepared for a mess of stuff!
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_hornet_96
or put in the shift interlock guide bolt in at the wrong time.
YES! I agree with him^^

I put the bolt back in incorrectly and I was locked out of 1st, 2nd and 4th for about 1 week before I had a chance to take the tranny off and fix it. I was damn lucky that the guide mechanism was the same from my old DX tranny because when I opened up the EX tranny, that bracket was bent to hell.

BTW, you might need a slide hammer with a bearing puller to get that ISB out. You can "rent" it at Pepboys or most any auto parts store. Just put it on your credit card and bring it back the next day. (that's actually their policy)

Also, make sure you order the correct bearing from the dealership... it's the one closest to the clutch. Not the other end. The dealership guys might make a mistake so be sure to look at the pic on their screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

^^^^ interlock bolt in wrong?????????

Been there done that, 7 years ago!!!!!!! Since then I've known about 5 other people to do the same

By your sig I assume your using a L3 ZC tranny correct?

MAke sure to order the bearing, seal, and 2 washers. ABout $36 + shipping from www.slhonda.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 mynameistin  is accepted as part of the communitymynameistin  is accepted as part of the communitymynameistin  is accepted as part of the communitymynameistin  is accepted as part of the community
Send a message via AIM to mynameistin

yeah dohc zc l3 tranny...i was actually thinking of just buying a bankup zc tranny at the moment and possibly doing the si FD and the majorbearing replacements all in this spare tranny i buy then swap it in...any info bone? i also have complete gearsets from another zc tranny i broke shift forks on if youd be intrested in them so ive heard some people like the 3rd and 4th. thanks a ton guys and especially the diy.