how much power can a 97 EX auto tranny hold? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 red4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to red4
Default how much power can a 97 EX auto tranny hold?

i started a topic before the update, so here it is again.

How much power can my 97 EX automatic tranny hold? I'm looking into the JRSC and Greddy turbo kit for my car, and I want to keep the auto tranny for now. I hear things about upgrading torque converters and Level 10 rebuild kits, but are these things necessary to keep my car running well?

with the JRSC on the car, they dynoed it at 140 whp. i hear a tranny oil cooler is a definite must, but is it worth my time and money to get a new TC for the car when its just my daily driver in need of a little extra power?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
red4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 little white crx is learning the way of the Dlittle white crx is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

high stall torque converter dosent add power it just puts you closer to your power band at launch., you will notice the car is not as comfortable on the street with an aftermarket converter. plus i dont think there is one on the market for a honda that is worth the money
little white crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I dont know of an exact hp number the tranny could hold but over time the extra hp would definately take its toll on the tranny. You may want to look into swapping out the tranny especially if you are going turbo or supercharged. It probably seems like a lot more money now, but in the end the money you spent on the tranny swap would be well worth it.

How many miles are on the auto tranny too? as that may factor in to how much hp it can take also
1quicky7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 red4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to red4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quicky7
I dont know of an exact hp number the tranny could hold but over time the extra hp would definately take its toll on the tranny. You may want to look into swapping out the tranny especially if you are going turbo or supercharged. It probably seems like a lot more money now, but in the end the money you spent on the tranny swap would be well worth it.

How many miles are on the auto tranny too? as that may factor in to how much hp it can take also
almost 100K on the car. as far as swapping goes, i'm just not going to do it right now. i have this car as my daily driver, and need to keep it reliable until i get out of school and can get another car to drive. maybe then i will think about swapping trannies, or just buying another 5-speed honda to modify.

so, swapping trannies is not an option for me right now. i've heard a couple people with JRSC on an auto, and not having many problems, but i want to make sure i have all my bases covered before i make my decision.

as for torque converters, i know they don't add power, but i was under the impression that they beef it up somewhat. if i can't put the charger on and keep my car reliable, or have my tranny wimp out on me, then i'll just stick to a few bolt-ons and wait until i can pick up a 5-speed project car.

i guess i could just bite the bullet and buy it, hook it up, and be my own experiment as far as a S/C auto goes. if the tranny blows up, others will know what its limits are because of me. however, i don't have the cash to invest in the JRSC right now, so we'll see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
red4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master

Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

if you're concerned, then dont do the sc/turbo. Since its your daily driver, and not a weekend racer...save your money. Get some bolt ons and call it a day

f00ker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in