Tranny FAQ's..LSD's, Gears, I.D.'s...ETC... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
bspeed

Default Tranny FAQ's..LSD's, Gears, I.D.'s...ETC...

To all looking for tranny info, here is a collection of posts that may answer some questions that have been commonly asked. Also I have searched for the posts with specs that we use over and over again as well. I will do my best to keep this updated with some frequency.

-The ideal stock tranny's for acceleration are EX and Si from any given gen. of civic/crx also known as y8,z6 and Si

-All 1.6 and 1.5 tranny's will work on 1.5 and 1.6 blocks Zc trannys will work on engines that can support the necessary mid-shaft.

-Zc trannys use different inner axle joints from all the other boxes.

-Y8 (96-00)trannys have steel shift forks, Z6 (92-95) have cast aluminum shift forks, The Ef chassis Civic's&CRX have cast aluminum.

-If you are grinding gears, check your front and rear engine mounts first, mounts and forks typically go out/break before synchros and gears.

-Stock Clutch's are 1988=190mm with 21 splines, 1989= 200mm with 20 splines, 1990-2000=210mm with 20 splines.

-Tranzex is the resident tranny god and can help out with a lot of questions just ask in your post and be patient. He does not answer Pm's so don't bother.

-Rexinre and builthatch are the moderators of this forum, need help ask them, piss them off and you will get shut down.

Transmissions don't have to be expensive repairs or "tricky" to work on, they require patience and mostly the experience of actually working on them to fix them well. Buy the Honda manual for your car from your local dealer parts dept., it will hands down be the best $80 you will ever spend on your car, period. Last and equally important use the search function; use google or yahoo etc.. and link answers you find to our board and make it even stronger.
Regards,
The Fat Chick Wrangler.

ZC and Si ratios and building a hybrid info
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19701

tranny id's

y8 gear swapping

obx lsd

obx lsd 2

y8 trans in CRX

synthetic tranny fluid

D gear compatibility

more tranny ID

Bones Gear Ratio Page

more sohc tranny specs

hybrid gear combo

synchro swapping (link was bad, if anyone knows the right link, let builthatch know)

Ultimate final drive

http://racegearbox.com <gear calculator.

Last edited by builthatch; 08-02-2006 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added misc. info, updated links
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

excellent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slebidia

Slight correction.

89 transmissions used 200 mm clutch disks while 1990+ use the 210mm disks.

The 89 flywheels use the same PP pattern as the 88s though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slebidia is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series WTF?!?!

Rep Power: 21 MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MiloReaper87 Send a message via Yahoo to MiloReaper87

Woah! that REAL good INFO TO KNOW THANK Thank u Sir Bspeed
Check my photography

CAUTION: Remoer and myself may
on a verbal war
MiloReaper87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 rkcarguySI will become famous soon enoughrkcarguySI will become famous soon enoughrkcarguySI will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

bspeed can you add this?

http://www.geocities.com/bing_bong916/trannyspecs1.html

All the USDM ratios in one place-EF thru EK.
rkcarguySI is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
there is a party in my pants and Lindsay Lohan is on the guest list

Rep Power: 16 stmotorsports will become famous soon enoughstmotorsports will become famous soon enoughstmotorsports will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

nice faq

"synchro swapping" link goes to an incorrect thread tho

stmotorsports is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/gears/

Another gear ratio calculator found on another site

Honda4VW is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 mwsol96 is starting to learn the ropesmwsol96 is starting to learn the ropesmwsol96 is starting to learn the ropesmwsol96 is starting to learn the ropesmwsol96 is starting to learn the ropesmwsol96 is starting to learn the ropes

From my knowledge and doing a clutch swap on my car, 96-00 dx used the 190 mm clutch.

mwsol96 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

not all the 96-00, just some of the HB's.

I think Honda was using up old stock again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

something to and to the FAQ's

92-95 Tranny specs and rebuild sections from Helms. Only 5 MB instead of the 1258 page/90 MB whole manual

http://www.bonespec.com/Honda/D%20Se...c%20Tranny.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspeed
is it me or is this link useless?? it comes out to a 3 post thread with a dyno video?? nothing about synchro swapping??
stackz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspeed
-If you are grinding gears, check your front and rear engine mounts first, mounts and forks typically go out/break before synchros and gears.
I have a 93dx that I swapped a z6 & si tranny into. It has always been really hard to shift, but usually no real grinding. I just chalked it up to bent/worn forks, but it would be a lot easier fix if it is only motor mounts.

What should I look for, and how in the world would motor mounts affect shifting anyhow(curiosity, not doubt)? The motor mounts that are in there now are not torn or deformed in any visable way. However the passenger side bottom mount (the on that goes on the side of the tranny) was absent for about a week. (long story involving an auto-manual conversion without doing enough research :cussing: )

Thank you very much in advance.

I cant belive I didn't find this place sooner. I'm all about the Ds
bvukich is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
mnasrxc

Default need info on tranny swap....

i have a 96 civic dx d16 and iam swaping a 94 vx d15 tranny in.. will my stock axles line up with that tranny??? pretty sure they will but just curious. any info would be cool.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via AIM to theyoungone Send a message via MSN to theyoungone
Thumbs down

Your synchro swapping link dosent have anything about synchro swapping.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 samuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to samuraiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungone
Your synchro swapping link dosent have anything about synchro swapping.
Thanks for pointing it out, but it's already been brought up several times. Nobody seems to know where the correct link is.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
93sicoupe

how true is this? cause im grinding 4th and the tranny is making a big rackett, i know my drivers side front lower tourque mount is shot to shit so would that really be the cause? It will go into 4th but when i try to release the clutch it grinds like a mofo. anny suggestions?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

very uber good.
the only reason i posted so when i need to find this all i do is look back on my old post...lol

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
93sicoupe

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
something to and to the FAQ's

92-95 Tranny specs and rebuild sections from Helms. Only 5 MB instead of the 1258 page/90 MB whole manual

http://www.bonespec.com/Honda/D%20Se...c%20Tranny.pdf
this link is dead
Old 08-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropesbense is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

zc hybrid axle writeup:
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37593

tired of having to search for this thing to show other people
bense is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

way cool thread! i found lots of the information usefull. thanks alot.
kruel.t is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in