Gear lockout at higher RPM: Causes? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Default Gear lockout at higher RPM: Causes?

D16Z6 transmission
Competition Clutch Stage 4.
1996 Civic CX.

For some reason I experience lockout in between gears at higher revs(above about 6000 RPM).

I swapped the transmission and clutch in at the same time, so Unfortunately I cannot eliminate one or the other.

I cracked the transmission open to check it over:
-Cleaned it all up.
-MS and CS bearings seemed to be in good working order.
-Replaced the CS lower and ISB with newer used bearings. I was in a major time crunch.
-Checked the synchro assemblies over.
-Dog teeth looked good
-Synchro springs were in good shape, not chewed up.
-Replaced the diff due to rust.
-Shimmed the diff bearings to a clearance of about 0.008" IIRC.
-Fork thickness was in spec for all three.

The only thing I did not double check by measurement was the MS beainrg clearance.

I think it is the clutch, but I bought it slightly used off of another DSO member.

Suggestions, experiences?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I used a brand new OEM style flywheel, so step height should not be an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snm95ls; 09-18-2010 at 05:09 PM.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....

Wow! nobody has experienced this on here or cares to share their experiences?

I find that hard to believe. lol.

I seems like quite a few people have had similar issues with Competition Clutches, and the common theme seems to be CC telling people that they need to use their flywheel.

Sounds like a step height issue, and if so ought to be disclosed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 xsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Motor mounts! The rocking of the motor changes the angle and length of the shift linkage.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I guess that is possible since the mounts are pretty flexy, but i did not have any issues with the original transmission and clutch.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I just put that clutch in recently ... I have had no issues yet. I beat the hell out of it at an autoX event yesterday and it performed flawlessly. I also have a lightened OEM flywheel. I'll go do some running around today and see if I experience the same issue and report back. I'm also running an EX transmission ... so at least it's sort of a similar setup.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

that is what is frustrating. I have a friend with a CC stage 4, although it is a B series, and he says he has no problems shifting even at 8500 RPM.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

No issues here either, just got back from my test run. No issues shifting at ~6.5 - 7k.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

clutch overcentering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 18 EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

how much play do u have in your shifter? Had quite a bit of play in mine and the same problem;high rev shifting, works going through high-low but low-high, u have to rev match it/throttle blip to get it to go, then put in ES bushings, makes shifting crisp, plus sort of minimized the problem, that part in the link where it has like 2 different pivot joints is most probable for the play

<- Deuce MKIa

<- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
clutch overcentering?
Possible I guess. i did have to adjust the free play at the pedal just to make it drivable after the clutch and transmission install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9 View Post
how much play do u have in your shifter? Had quite a bit of play in mine and the same problem;high rev shifting, works going through high-low but low-high, u have to rev match it/throttle blip to get it to go, then put in ES bushings, makes shifting crisp, plus sort of minimized the problem, that part in the link where it has like 2 different pivot joints is most probable for the play
It's not a shifter problem.

I guess I need to get a way to see just how far the fingers are being depressed. I don't have a good flashlight and a mirror down here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in