Noise In trans after clutch install - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Perkul8r is learning the way of the DPerkul8r is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Noise In trans after clutch install

So when i was putting the motor back into the car, I installed a new clutch kit consisting of a new clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing. So I got everything together and when i start it i hear a sound that sounds like a bad throw out bearing.

So i replaced the new throw out bearing with the old one. Still the same noise. So i check and than replace the trans fluid with new. And still the same.

Any ideas what else it could be? I have read and seen that it can possibly be the Input shaft bearing. I am really hoping that its not that. I am trying to sell the EJ and nobody wants it with that noise.

Thanks for any help.
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Perkul8r is learning the way of the DPerkul8r is learning the way of the D

Forgot to say that the sound only happens when you have the clutch pedal released. When you have it pushed in the sound goes away. But i think i can hear it while driving too. Its hard to tell with the exhaust that bangs around and hits the car.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

likely ISB.

Then again Spam.... that I sold a tranny to is having same issue, both with old tranny and the one I built.

It has me stumped.....and thats not so easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've had that same problem before and when I changed out the transmission for a different one it went away so it might very well be the input shaft bearing and also did you grease up the throw out bearing recently I was told I should think about doing that cause usually I just throw em in and let it ride.
PopKorn689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well, i read a couple places that said you dont need to grease the throw out bearing cause they are internally greased. But i might try that with the new that i have out now. Any recommendations on what type of grease to use? i have no idea on that part.

I just really dont want to throw a different trans in the car just to sell it. They are hard to come by around here. And the only other one i know of is an si trans that i was gonna buy for my my auto to man swap in the four door.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

TB needs a little grease on the contact points with the clutch arm, a little grease on the tranny snout so TB slides smoothly.

I use high temp wheel bearing grease.

The TB itself is already greased internally. DO NOT try to clean it other than just a simple wipe down when reusing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ya it's really only the shaft where the bearing actually slides on that it said to grease not the bearing itself if that makes sense and I can't remember what kind of grease they recommended but I wanna say it was a marine grade quality cause it's supposed to last longer or something or the sort. Don't hold me to it though I don't wanna give you wrong info this is just what i know of the top of my head from reading threw others experiences online.
PopKorn689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

i didn't try to clean it with anything but my shop towel. I read about that. I was thinking about ordering a different throw out bearing, the clutch kit i got from a friend, and i think it was a cheapy no name brand one. It had never been used and was only sitting for a couple weeks, but still.

And i honestly cant recall if the trans made the noise before the motor swap. I only moved it like twice before pulling the motor.

Is there any way to check to see if the ISB is bad besides pulling the trans apart?

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Urea (sp?) grease I think is what Honda suggests....I've never needed nor used it.

ISB is easy to check. Grab your shaft and wiggle. It shouldn't wiggle.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thank you sir. I will have to get the trans back out in a couple days. Hopefully the weather holds out for me. I dont have a nice garage to work in. lol. Just my back alley driveway.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

OEM TOBs are pricey might I add! LOL
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Mine has the same issue. All gears shift great but you can hear the noise when the clutch is released. It's a brand new tranny from attarco in sacramento =(
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ya the trans shifts great. I can drive it and not have any problems. But that noise is just annoying. Well, the weather is getting shitty, so it looks like i wont be able to get to work on it till this weekend.

Another question. I have a cable trans laying around from the D15B2 i bought out of a 88-91 civic. Is there anyway i could convert that over to work? I know that trans is good.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Only way of converting is switching it all over to cable.
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

pilot bearing? maybe?

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
Only way of converting is switching it all over to cable.
Dam, dont want to do that. lol.

And i replaced the pilot bearing with a new one. Could that make that noise at that time? I have never seen that. Not saying it couldn't happen though.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

I will probably just man up and pull the trans again and more than likely replace the ISB.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 Demon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

i am going through the same problem. got a brand new clutch kit with everything(pp, disc, to bearing, pilot bearing). everything was aligned correctly and installed correctly. we greased the bearings on their contact points too. and i get the same noise that you get.

im with you though, the weather is gettin shitty and i dont have the time to replace a ISB. if that is what it would be.

Demon_12-21-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Not having a big enough garage totally sucks. I mean i have access to a garage thats my neighbors. BUt they want to be able to use it if we get snow. Which we shouldn't anytime soon, but this is North Dakota and it could snow tonight. lol. I can pull the trans and leave the car outside, no problem there.

I have just never worked on a trans before, minus the one in my quad. lol. I really dont wanna fuck it up. BUt there is a great DIY on here, so that should help.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

This makes three trannys doing the same thing.

What clutch kits are everyone using?

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in