Leaking drive axle seal - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Leaking drive axle seal

Hey every one im new to site and this is my first post. any way i have 97 civic it originally had a D16y8 that i blew and after a few motor i now recently have a 95 d15 non vtec. my tranny is still the original that came with the car. i recently had to replace the input shaft bearing. my tranny has been working fine but now i have a leak from the driver side drive axle seal. i have replaced this seal once before and when i saw the leak i replace it again but it is still leaking it seems to me the leak is coming from over top of the seal. im thing maybe the seal is the wrong size. i fit it over the axle it self and it seemed to fit it was tight and it was loose enough to rotate easily. i don't know if thats normal or not. also my axle seems to not be going in all the way i have hammered and banged it in. it clicks in but these still seems to be a space between the tranny and the axle. i took the lil c ring off of the end to see if that was the problem but it when in the same way theres a rod going through the diff and the axle is hitting it. i don't know if i need a new axle or maybe im putting in the seal too deep can anyone help?

Last edited by 97honsolo; 09-10-2010 at 05:36 PM.
97honsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

did you get the seal for a s40 trans or 96-00 ex manual tranny? and the rod is the pin for your open diff. the seal is suppose to be even with the case and i think here is a little gap.
D2ZBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 hicomp.d15 is learning the way of the Dhicomp.d15 is learning the way of the D
Send a message via Yahoo to hicomp.d15

did you replace the shaft seal with a honda seal? and when you install it make sure its flush with tha case if its to deep it will leak..
hicomp.d15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

im not sure i had the guys at advance look it up and he wasnt too sure if it was the right one either. ive been looking up the part number and im starting to think that ive been use the seal the hole time. theres an arrow on the seal that tells you the way it turns and the arrow on the one i have is going in reverse as if it is for the passenger side.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

sounds to me you could have fucked up the splines in the tranny....
hodge413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

hey guys just got back from working on the car with my mechanic buddy. i ran the part number and it turns out i did have the right seal. i was just pushing it in too far in the housing. im about to go to work so ill see if it leaks again and get back to you guys in the morning. thanks for your input.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

The hard, outer lip of the seal should be near flush to the trans case/housing
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

the sea has like 2 lips there an iner one that should be flush to the axle wish leaves the outter sticking so that it touches the boot on the axle sealing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
leaks, seals, transaxle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in