RT 4WD tranny - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default RT 4WD tranny

Has anyone here ever leaned real hard on a RT 4WD transmission.

Presuming super low gear is not used in anger, how do they stand up compared to other D series transmissions.

Presuming some sense re pre-loading and clutch operation and good road tyres but no slicks and in an 88 CRX chassis, at what power/torque levels are they durable enough for a daily driver. How badly will I need a spare rebuilt box to change over on short notice.

I am aiming for a little over 200hp and a little under 200ftlb in a bored stroked turbocharged 1.8 litre DOHC D series red lined at about 7500rpm.

Will I keep smashing gear boxes.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my intro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

No launches, slicks, or hard shifts and it will be ok. Don't use SL 1st, the MS teeth are tiny, it breaks very easily. I'd have some spare t-cases ready to go. That is the main weakpoint.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

they will handle 350-400 whp if you are easy on the launch and shifts.

Chris, have you read about Jakar's RWD setup? Then there is the AWD Civic the Simmions now owns and us try to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I have access to a 4wd EG at the moment I'm considering purchasing. Wagovan drivetrain.

The D-series lsd fits in the rear end with minor shim work.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Egwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-serious View Post
I have access to a 4wd EG at the moment I'm considering purchasing. Wagovan drivetrain.

The D-series lsd fits in the rear end with minor shim work.
double lsd awd eg? sounds fucking badass sir. how much he want?

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egwhite View Post
single LSD....no LSD for the front that I know of.

I want an OBD-1 Wagon, better known as a Honda Beagle

Quote:
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Can't say; because I may try to flip it, but cheap cheap cheap. I already bought the motor.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Can't say; because I may try to flip it, but cheap cheap cheap. I already bought the motor.
do you need the money for something else? cuz thats a sick project to be flipping

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
do you need the money for something else? cuz thats a sick project to be flipping
I have spare money; it's just whether or not I want to risk investing in a flip. Especially with the winter coming up.

Everything is pretty much already done, drivetrain and rear end mounted. It needs a few misc things and the motor put back in.

It's NICE. Extended wheel studs, braided fuel line w/ AN fittings, custom suspension, custom trailing arms, etc.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I have spare money; it's just whether or not I want to risk investing in a flip. Especially with the winter coming up.

Everything is pretty much already done, drivetrain and rear end mounted. It needs a few misc things and the motor put back in.

It's NICE. Extended wheel studs, braided fuel line w/ AN fittings, custom suspension, custom trailing arms, etc.
Just out of curiosity what would you try to get out of it?
Winter things do slow down, people save and such but regardless its something that will hold its value as long as you can afford to live w/o flipping it right away.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
they will handle 350-400 whp if you are easy on the launch and shifts.

Chris, have you read about Jakar's RWD setup? Then there is the AWD Civic the Simmions now owns and us try to sell.
Jaker on H-T?

Not familiar with Simmions, but I know of a RWD B Prelude using the 4WD CRV trans that can't keep the t-case together.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what would you try to get out of it?
Winter things do slow down, people save and such but regardless its something that will hold its value as long as you can afford to live w/o flipping it right away.
I'd be looking for $2500 sans motor.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Jaker on H-T?

Not familiar with Simmions, but I know of a RWD B Prelude using the 4WD CRV trans that can't keep the t-case together.
Only on Jakar, OG Hybrid fool! Likely same name on HT....

Simmons bought the EPIC AWD hatch and did a few autox's with it, got bored and looking to move on.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

I thought the CRV was a completely different system.

First off they where originally a B series engine.

Second the viscous coupling in the centre or the RT4WD tailshaft is replaced by an auto trans type clutch pack in the rear diff, or at least that's how I understand it.

I also have unconfirmed info that the CRV and RT4WD have very different transfer box ratios thereby needing very different rear axle final drive.

Like I said, mostly unconfirmed.

A former or not very active member here called Joey Davis gave me some info nearly a year ago, including an alleged source for a front axle LSD. I still have some homework to do, including investigating availability and cost of spares.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

So if the RT4WD box handles 350 to 400hp, I think that makes them about as durable as the ZC cable tranny?

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

IIRC OBX LSD works in the rear diff, just flipped around.

On the RWD only setup the weak point it the T-housing, wheel hop will kill it.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Look Ma, no axles:

Oh, wait, here they are:

Quote:
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Any LSD will work in the rearend. Drill out the bolt holes and that's it.

Mark Williams driveshaft Bone?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Nope!

Quote:
Bone,

Anything to do with the Super Low gear is gone. Other than that, the guts of this tranny as far as main and counter shaft are pretty much identical to the FWD transmission. I even went to the extent of grinding the Super Low gear on the countershaft down into a simple spacer.

Quote:
It is in fact an Endyn M62 setup. It is however not 4x4. it's a straight RWD. I opted for the cheap out on the rear diff (OBX), because this whole mess is an experiment at this point. However, the rest is not of the same level. The driveshaft (86" long) is from ACPT in Huntington Beach, the rear axles are stage 2.9s from DSS, the front brakes are Wilwood 6 piston with 10.75" 2 piece rotors, the rears are ITR calipers with Wilwood 10.25" 2 piece rotors.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in