clutch wont disengage - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default clutch wont disengage

pedal works fine and feels normal.

car has had a slight whine while releasing the clutch. no whine while the clutch is fully in or out.

the other day the clutch engagement point started moving around. some times the clutch would start engaging as soon as i started letting up on the pedal. then at the next lite the clutch engagement would be at the normal height.

now the clutch will not release at all. had to drive home by starting in first gear off the starter and rev matching the rest on the way.

i have no idea about trans and clutches, but i'm pretty good with tools and found a nice set of directions. i'm at the point of dropping the trans in the morning. but i have no idea what part could be broken. do these symptoms point to anything in particular?
rangerone766 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Typically the clutch disc has a loose spring.

Normally a B series issue every 60k miles on OEM parts but D's have the same issue, just at higher mileage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post

Normally a B series issue every 60k miles on OEM parts but D's have the same issue, just at higher mileage.
thanks for the quick reply. i guess i'll find out in the morning. only thing left to do is pull the trans mount bolts and crack it open. i went through and cracked every bolt loose tonight. so i hope the hard part is finished.

i was hoping for a throwout bearing instead of a whole clutch kit though. any idea who stocks the best brand of clutch kits in the cincy area?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I've never had to buy a clutch for a Honda!

Say no on the Autozone crap. I'd go NAPA or maybe O'Reilys.......

BTW what car you working on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

O'riely's has a oem Sachs kit for $115 but is that brand any good?

i hate autozone with a passion, try to avoid them at all costs.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Dakien/Sachs/Luk/Valeo are all good OEM replacements.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 aznboy515 is learning the way of the Daznboy515 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

if u have a week downtime, i personally like exedy oem replacement clutch kit alot, its about same price.

oh ya dont forget to resurface flywheel(if needed do it anyway) and locktit the flywheel bolts if u took it off.
aznboy515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:

thats exactly what was wrong!!!! one of the springs popped free from the clutch disk. started to eat into the flywheel bolts, but i was able to get them out.

new clutch kit and flywheel got the car moving again. couldnt find anyone open to resurface the flywheel so had to buy a new one. got a Sachs kit and Sachs flywheel, hopefully they hold up.

my clutch pedal is alot easier to push in now, i'm going to try and bleed it tomarrow and see if it helps firm up the pedal.

how long do i baby the clutch to break it in?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

about 5 feet......

Just drive it normally for a tank of gas......

Quote:
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Dakien/Sachs/Luk/Valeo are all good OEM replacements.
overall, or specifically honda sohc?

curious, my bro has a celica clutch going bad (early 90s 5sfe)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
overall, or specifically honda sohc?

curious, my bro has a celica clutch going bad (early 90s 5sfe)
Overall......Some even think that some Luk clutches show up in Sachs boxes.

I was gonna try a Luk Gold before I got the free Centerforce Dual Friction from Fowee.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in