Tranny swap problem! need help fast! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 braxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Default Tranny swap problem! need help fast!

on my old tranny (s40 b000) my isb started going out so i swapped in a new s40 b000. i bought it off a guy for $100. anyways we finally got the swap done, and i went to go for a test drive. i put it in reverse and it move like 2 feet then just stopped moving. NO GEARS will catch at all. when i put it in reverse it has a grinding noise and then every other hear starts grinding but will never catch. i need this fixed by monday any suggestions?
braxtonsag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 braxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to all

EDIT: i just had a hunch and thought that maybe the axles were too short because i had to tug them to get them into the hub, sure enough i went out there and one of the axles had came out. so the question now, is what size axles do i need? i thought the s40 b000s had the same axles?!?!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 joey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

check you shift linkage....it could be off or not tight enough

OR

one of you axles arent in properly and your tranny is sending all the power to the side not in right resulting in you not moving

OR

you have a bum tranny....did you put oil in it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joey tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 joey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxtonsag View Post
EDIT: i just had a hunch and thought that maybe the axles were too short because i had to tug them to get them into the hub, sure enough i went out there and one of the axles had came out. so the question now, is what size axles do i need? i thought the s40 b000s had the same axles?!?!
If its the same type tranny you had in there before there shouldnt be a difference.....try putting the axle in the tranny first then into the hub and just leave enough of the axle sticking through the hub to put the axle bolt on and then tighten so youre not pulling the axle out of the tranny again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

well the thing is, i did have the axle in the tranny first.. but it came out. is there some sort of secret to locking them into the tranny?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

you really gotta smash them into the tranny...like they slide in but then you gotta like grab the shaft and knock it in there hard and it will click in....there shouldnt be any gap between the cv joint and the tranny should be practically flush

Old 09-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

lol... i have probably an inch gap...... i just put the car on jack stand.. started it and put it in first and let it idle in first. the driver side tire will not stop spinning and the passenger side tire you can stop with ease. i honestly dont even think the axle is inside the transmision.. ill post pictures...
Old 09-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

yeah loosen the axle bolts and smash those fuckers in there till there isnt a gap on the tranny sides then your good....lol

and then of course tighten up the axle bolts again!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 K5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i just put axles in my car, you should have a bout 1/16 of an inch gap between the tranny and cv cup. also did you make sure the c-clip was still on the end of the cv shaft?? that's what holds it into the tranny. if mine was still appart i'd take a pic. i'm finding the passenger side difficult to click in so tomorrow i'll be looking for somewhere to put a punch so i can drive the axle the rest of the way in. after you get the cv in all the way you shouldn't have any other problems with it, but ya put the cv in the tranny first then the hub if you can't get it to click.
good luck, just make sure you get it all the way in first

XBOX Live = K5trailrunner76
K5trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

alright i got it. i think somehow in the boot closest to the tranny i had the joint twisted up.. fits perfect now! nowthe only problem is my speedometer. its flipping the fck out. iv tried removing and unhooking and putting back in the VSS but its STILL flipping out. the speedometer is jumping around even at idle..
Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
alright i got it. i think somehow in the boot closest to the tranny i had the joint twisted up.. fits perfect now! nowthe only problem is my speedometer. its flipping the fck out. iv tried removing and unhooking and putting back in the VSS but its STILL flipping out. the speedometer is jumping around even at idle..
Good that you got that figured out, and for the speedo check all your grounds really good, thats what it sounds like to me

Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey tits View Post
you really gotta smash them into the tranny...like they slide in but then you gotta like grab the shaft and knock it in there hard and it will click in....there shouldnt be any gap between the cv joint and the tranny should be practically flush
wrong,there should be 1cm gap and yes u gotta slam that fucker in.

immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

alright gotcha.. i fixed my pass. side axle and slammed that bitch in but today the driver side axle came out cause i didnt slam it in. gotta go fix that now.. ill check the ground. the only ground i messed with was the tranny-to-body ground. its probably getting a shitty connection..
Old 09-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iv also heard people talking about an axle snap ring.. i didnt see one on my axle when i put it in.. if i go to autozone what one do i get? that or are axle snap rings the same throught the d series axles?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by immajackuup View Post
wrong,there should be 1cm gap and yes u gotta slam that fucker in.
I did say practically flush.....so I wasnt actually wrong, the gap is virtually non existent lol but I think he understood what I meant

Last edited by joey tits; 09-04-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

okay theyr back in.. i sanded the end of my tranny-body ground and im still getting a jumpy speedo. i didnt touch any of the other grounds on the car so idk why its flipping out! its really really annoying...
Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

try a different vss...

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
okay theyr back in.. i sanded the end of my tranny-body ground and im still getting a jumpy speedo. i didnt touch any of the other grounds on the car so idk why its flipping out! its really really annoying...
mine doesnt even work till the tranny is warm, I think the VSS or whatever is going bad. There was another thread about it and its either the cluster or the VSS and since you are put in a new tranny its probably the VSS.

Did it click completely into place cause when I tried putting mine in after my swap I have two of the white sleeves in there and it wouldnt fully connect

Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

the thing is though, when i bought the tranny off the guy, it came with a VSS with the connector cut off so i just took it out and put my VSS back in from my old tranny. it worked fine before but now its flipping the hell out. i think i might try a new one from autozone and see if it fixes it.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

did what click into place? the connector is fully connected yes.. and the VSS is tightened to shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in