lsd dragger clutch slipping? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default lsd dragger clutch slipping?

i've got a lsd dragger 6 puck sprung clutch kit on my boosted z6 motor and have about 2,000 miles on it now. the clutch has held fine up until about a week ago when it started to slip. when i put the clutch in i resurfaced the flywheel at my work on a lathe. i had to take alot of material off it to get it flat again it was very warped. i put a new rear main seal in with the clutch so i pretty sure there's not oil on the clutch anywhere. does anyone think it's possible that i could have taking to much material off the flywheel when resurfacing it? my buddy has brand new comp. clutch 6 puck unsprung disk i can have. do you think i could get a away with reusing the dragger pressure plate with the new comp. disk and a brand new flywheel that i can get off ebay for $68.
b16crx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16crx000 View Post
i've got a lsd dragger 6 puck sprung clutch kit on my boosted z6 motor and have about 2,000 miles on it now. the clutch has held fine up until about a week ago when it started to slip. when i put the clutch in i resurfaced the flywheel at my work on a lathe. i had to take alot of material off it to get it flat again it was very warped. i put a new rear main seal in with the clutch so i pretty sure there's not oil on the clutch anywhere. does anyone think it's possible that i could have taking to much material off the flywheel when resurfacing it? my buddy has brand new comp. clutch 6 puck unsprung disk i can have. do you think i could get a away with reusing the dragger pressure plate with the new comp. disk and a brand new flywheel that i can get off ebay for $68.
Well considering we have NO clue what kind of power you are making it is hard to Judge what is happening. Drop the trans pull the clutch and get us pictures. If it is slipping now it's not going to fix itself. Also what type tranny? Hydro or Cable? I really wouldnt get a new flywheel off of ebay, If it comes down to it go scoop one out of the pick N pull and get it resurfaced.
from here on out all will be healed due to the honda holy water (jb weld)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
302hp/262TQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crxlifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

im prolly making around 225whp or so the clutch kit should be able to handle anything i have to throw at it. i didn't want to pull it down yet because it's my daily the car is still drivable by all means. what i really wanted to know was when i resurfaced the flywheel if i took to much material off it, that definitly would cause alot less bite right. if i start off with a 100% fresh flywheel that hasn't been resurfaced the thickness would be as thick as possible for the clutch to bite. also im wondering if i can reuse the pressure plate? it's a hydro tranny by the was in a 95 ej1 coupe z6 motor

Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

how did u resurface the flywheel on a lathe? did you maintain the correct spacing between the mounting surface of the flywheel (where the pressure plate bolts up) and the friction surface?

some how i doubt it happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie

Like I said bro Pull the trans and shoot some pictures for us to look at.I know it's you daily driver but it needs to be fixed right? It dont take that long to pull a trans anyway.

302hp/262TQ

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 vtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

To answer your question. Yes, you can mix match clutches if you want to but I'm making a lot more power and my lsd dragger have yet slip on me once.

vtec_bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
how did u resurface the flywheel on a lathe? did you maintain the correct spacing between the mounting surface of the flywheel (where the pressure plate bolts up) and the friction surface?

some how i doubt it happened.

hey danz i understand exactly what your saying. ok basically when i resurfaced it i put it on the lathe and only resurfaced the friction part that the disk clamps to i did not resurface the part where the pressure plate bolts up to. which now makes perfect since to me why this thing is slipping now. are you not suppose to resurface flywheels on a lathe because now that i think about it the dowel pins would hit the lathes teeth eventually once it get's towards the outside of the flywheel. im assuming you have to do this a special way. but anyway's im pretty sure my problem is this flywheel i took off a shit ton of material on the friction surface and none on the pressure plate mounting surface makes perfect sense now. i guess my question is now do you think i ruined the pressure plate it might have some hot spots from slipping some right? do you think i might be able to reuse the pressure plate i already have new 6 puck unsprung disk so if i get the new flywheel you think the used pressure plate might be ok i hope so cuz im low on cash at the moment
Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Start by removing those pins in the FW and mill the secondary surface. Then deglaze the PP surface with some sandpaper. GL!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16crx000 View Post
hey danz i understand exactly what your saying. ok basically when i resurfaced it i put it on the lathe and only resurfaced the friction part that the disk clamps to i did not resurface the part where the pressure plate bolts up to. which now makes perfect since to me why this thing is slipping now. are you not suppose to resurface flywheels on a lathe because now that i think about it the dowel pins would hit the lathes teeth eventually once it get's towards the outside of the flywheel. im assuming you have to do this a special way. but anyway's im pretty sure my problem is this flywheel i took off a shit ton of material on the friction surface and none on the pressure plate mounting surface makes perfect sense now. i guess my question is now do you think i ruined the pressure plate it might have some hot spots from slipping some right? do you think i might be able to reuse the pressure plate i already have new 6 puck unsprung disk so if i get the new flywheel you think the used pressure plate might be ok i hope so cuz im low on cash at the moment
first off because you didnt machine the surface that the pp bolts on to, you decreased the clamping pressure on the clutch disk alot. secondly if the flywheel was warped alot because of heat damage it still may not be completely flat heat treated spots are very very hard on flywheels and may not even out all the way. Might be best to start off with a new flywheel.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle96EKdowork is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
first off because you didnt machine the surface that the pp bolts on to, you decreased the clamping pressure on the clutch disk alot. secondly if the flywheel was warped alot because of heat damage it still may not be completely flat heat treated spots are very very hard on flywheels and may not even out all the way. Might be best to start off with a new flywheel.

yeah why go through all that trouble to have to tear it apart and do it again... do it once, do it right! those things can be had for cheap on here man just ask around for one. i used to have like 5 of em at one point... they are long gone now but they are all over the place! just grab yourself a fresh stock one or a good lightweight one

Bone stock f20b turbo 330hp/240tq - sold
Bone stock 97 civic dx hatch - sold
Fully built lsvtec crx 594hp/420tq 110 octane - current
96EKdowork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

ok thanks guys im gonna buy a new oem replacment flywheel from advance auto tomorrow for $61 and sand the friction surface of pressure plate down a little ill let you guys know how everything is working tomorrow
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

get a new flywheel off ebay. $68 aint too bad.

edit; or do that.

you should be able to just sand the friction surfaces on the clutch and the pressure plate and it will work fine and not slip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

LSD has quality control issues I see these threads more and more and have seen plenty in the past where they started slipping for no real reason at all. Suck it up and buy another clutch sucks yes but thats the gamble with "good n cheap" aftermarket parts hell even the pricey crap breaks.

But I do have a few question for you did you break it in? and how much power are you making and what kind of driving do you do? This could be a user error with someone that likes to ride the clutch.......The world may never know

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

i put a new flywheel on the other day and everything seems to be doing fine clutch is grabbing great now thanks for they the help guys
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Good to hear

302hp/262TQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in