difference in vtec and vtec-e transmission? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 joey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default difference in vtec and vtec-e transmission?

So my tranny finally blew and I have been calling around for another one, and cant find a vtec-e for my 97 Y8 motor. But I found a vtec tranny from a 2000 civic, and my question is will it fit ok? and will I be losing out on anything because its not vtec-e?

The dealer said it should be fine to fit but the junkyard said it might be different because of the -e....

Any help is appreciated, just dont want to buy it and have issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joey tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Y8 is not VTEC-E. The 96-00 VTEC trans is a Y8 trans, so yes it is the correct trans.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

12ozwrecker It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

they are all the same. its whats inside that counts.
you could put a y5 tranny on the y8. but thats what we like to call counter productive.

Quote:
A true hot rodder is a hot rodder plain and simple Brand age etc is not that important....We are here because we hot rod Hondas, not because we ONLY hot rod Hondas.
word.
12ozwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 shanX will become famous soon enoughshanX will become famous soon enoughshanX will become famous soon enough

If your talking about JDM Vtec-E. it has the same tranny as USDM VX afaik, long ass gears. I had one of those with my JDM D15B Vtec, was a one stupid ex-tranny, but ya it could be used to catch topspeeds lol
shanX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 joey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enoughjoey tits will become famous soon enough

thanks for the info, when they asked vtec-e i was like uhhhh, i know theres an s40 and s20 and I want the s40 lol

I am glad I am getting the one I need

BTW I just broke a valve cover bolt.......big deal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

yes. get it out and replace. i think they are really only torqued to like 9 lbs. check yer specs.

Quote:
A true hot rodder is a hot rodder plain and simple Brand age etc is not that important....We are here because we hot rod Hondas, not because we ONLY hot rod Hondas.
word.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Wait so you have a D16Y8(Ex) and you want to put a D16Y5(Hx) long geared transmission on it? You do know the VTEC-e Hx tranny is not good for acceleration?

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Hey! dont let my car hear you say that. otherwise it will take me forever to get to work.
no, really though, its not that bad.

Quote:
word.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
Wait so you have a D16Y8(Ex) and you want to put a D16Y5(Hx) long geared transmission on it? You do know the VTEC-e Hx tranny is not good for acceleration?

no thats what the junkyard said i was supposed to have....i am glad i didnt buy into that

Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

you should know better ythan to listen to a chevy gearhead at a junkyard(no offense to the chevy crowd) when it comes to hondas. get the better tranny cuz you will have better performance overall.

Last edited by the hoove; 08-15-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: dont wanna offend the chevys lol
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in