z6 tranny, obx lsd, no diff bearing side clearance? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default z6 tranny, obx lsd, no diff bearing side clearance?

like the title says. i cant even fit the smallest feeler gauge in. the case went together and bolts torqued to 20ft/lbs. I really dont have access to Bseries oil control rings. should I pull the thrust shim and measure the gap and order a smaller shim or will any of them put me in tolerance.
CBEengineering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

What shim is in there now?

Thinnest shim is 1.0mm, I think I have a new one here.

Pull the shim bolt cases back together, only need 3-4 bolts and measure the clearance. if it is less than .040 you'll need an B oil ring or some other work around. I'm finding the B oil rings are too brittle and have cracked in some of my builds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 s_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to s_18

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I'm finding the B oil rings are too brittle and have cracked in some of my builds.
Not happy to read this, but I guess one just have to see if it holds up or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I forget whose tranny I was going back through and found the cracked ring. I believe it was Hugo's IIRC.

The good news is the cracked ring won't cause and damage, it has no where to go as it is trapped by the diff bearing. It's just when you lift the outer case off you might see the oil ring in 3-4 piece laying on top of the diff bearing.

Worst case is you have to use a different oil ring each time the tranny is opened, which shouldn't be very often to begin with.

I could have had custom shims made, but the cost was stupid. Whoever found the B oil ring issue helped a lot.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
What shim is in there now?

Thinnest shim is 1.0mm, I think I have a new one here.

Pull the shim bolt cases back together, only need 3-4 bolts and measure the clearance. if it is less than .040 you'll need an B oil ring or some other work around. I'm finding the B oil rings are too brittle and have cracked in some of my builds.
its a 1.45mm i believe. and i stuck a feeler guage in there with the shim out and it was about .035 maybe a little more cause the axle housing had the feeler guage in a bind. anyone have any b series oil control rings? paypal armed.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

i did a little experiment. I took my straight feeler guage and bent the end of the .95mm so it would clear the diff stub. then i started slidingin smaller feelers to get the total clearance with the shim out. then i subtracted the recommended side clearance to get the final shim thickness. In mm.

.95mm + .381mm = 1.331mm total clearance with out shim

1.331mm - .10mm = 1.231mm

now i can order a OEM shim. but should I order the 1.2mm or 1.3mm. I guess the 1.3 so i can be less than the .10mm side clearance.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

you want MORE than OEM clearance with a LSD. We normally run .004-.008"

I would go with 1.1 or 1.15 shim.

Where are you located? I should have both on hand.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Georgia.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

how ya wanna do this? i can paypal. just tell me how much and when to pull the trigger. ill take the 1.15mm if you have it
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I was wrong, I have 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3 on hand.

paypal works just fine.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

^And if those don't work I've got a 1.4 leftover from my LSD install.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

the above transaction is against the forum rules, I'm only trying to help, it is MY risk.

Understand I, myself, is willing to take that chance.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

thanks bro!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Well, it's not like he has been a member since last month or something...it's cool with me, if that counts for anything! LOL
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
Well, it's not like he has been a member since last month or something...it's cool with me, if that counts for anything! LOL
i lurk
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Plenty of people just like you.....

Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enough

Was going to start my own thread, but this is basically the same issue I'm facing.

L3 (Si) trans, KAAZ diff (transferring diff from one trans to another). took the diff apart, cleaned, and reassembled it.

With NO thrust shim in place, I'm seeing 0.2mm of clearance about 3/4 of the way around, but it gets as tight as 0.08mm.

I never checked the clearance of the diff in the old tranny, so no idea how it looked in there.

I'm pretty certain that the diff bearings are on all the way. Diff seems to be completely seated as well - gave it some good whacks w/ the rubber mallet. Did I screw up putting my kaaz back together?

bopApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Since the diff doesn't use any thrust shims, WTF are you doing?

Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Since the diff doesn't use any thrust shims, WTF are you doing?
I assumed that, since both the OEM open and aftermarket LSD's use a shim, the kaaz would as well... (Not to mention the diff was previously installed w/ a shim)

So, what you're saying is that I don't need to use a shim w/ the kaaz?

bopApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

keyword = thrust.

I never said you didn't need a shim.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in