Competition Clutch stg4 low engagement height. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Default Competition Clutch stg4 low engagement height.

This one is kind of weird to me. The engagement height is super low, as in maybe an inch from the floor. I have gravity bled the hydraulic system and also done it the way the manual recommends. Neither one seems to bring the engagement height any higher. The first part of pedal travel feels as if there is almost no resistance, so it makes me think there is still air in the system.

There is another odd symptom as well. When the clutch pedal is pushed all the way to the floor while the engine is running, I can hear a noise that doesn't sound right. It is almost like something is dragging.

Here is the rundown:
Used CC stage 4 clutch.
Brand new Sachs release bearing form Worldpac for 96-00 Civic.
Brand new Daikin flywheel with pilot bearing from Worldpac for 96-00 Civic.
Freshly rebuilt 92-95 EX/Si transmission.

The engagement is about what I would expect for a 6 puck clutch, but is is super low, and makes the car kind of difficult to drive.

I hate hyrdo clutches.

lol.

Cliffs:
Low engagement height. Is this a common theme with CC clutches?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Pedal height is pretty normal.

Your noise is probably a throwout bearing if you tossed in a used one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 stiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stiffdogg06

Adjust your clutch pedal?

434whp/332ftlbs D16Y8 GT3076R 27psi Meth Fed - 2010

2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL
stiffdogg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
Pedal height is pretty normal.

Your noise is probably a throwout bearing if you tossed in a used one.
I put in a brand new throwout bearing when I installed the clutch and transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffdogg06 View Post
Adjust your clutch pedal?
I don't really want to start adjusting crap that isn't normally adjusted unless I have to.

Like I said, the first part of clutch travel feels like there is almost nothing there.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Engagement height is fixed. For whatever reason, I never noticed the large amount of pedal freeplay with the stock clutch.

Adjusting the pedal pushrod worked.

Still have a noise, but that very well could be the TOB.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

or crankwalk.

I had a CC stage 4 clutch, killed a Z6 bottom end with it...but I could chirp 3-4 shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Engagement height is fixed. For whatever reason, I never noticed the large amount of pedal freeplay with the stock clutch.

Adjusting the pedal pushrod worked.

Still have a noise, but that very well could be the TOB.
Or it is the sound of the discs meeting the flywheel, My 5 stage made this same sound when it was brand new. Hell I can still make it if I release the clutch really slow.
from here on out all will be healed due to the honda holy water (jb weld)

302hp/262TQ

crxlifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
or crankwalk.

I had a CC stage 4 clutch, killed a Z6 bottom end with it...but I could chirp 3-4 shifts.
Was this a freshly built bottom end or an old assed one with worn thrust washers?

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

i had to adjust my pedal/rod a little to raise up my engagement point on my CC stage 5 on a hydro setup.

its really nice and about perfect in the middle now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 motoxman will become famous soon enoughmotoxman will become famous soon enoughmotoxman will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Crankwalk... Yikes... I thought I got away from that when I left the DSM world!!... Second gen 4g63t's have a horrible time with crankwalk... Didnt know that Honda's are having the same problem... I will also be installing a competition stage 4 clutch on my Fresh built Vitara'd Z6... I hope I dont have any issues with Crankwalk...
motoxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxman View Post
Crankwalk... Yikes... I thought I got away from that when I left the DSM world!!... Second gen 4g63t's have a horrible time with crankwalk... Didnt know that Honda's are having the same problem... I will also be installing a competition stage 4 clutch on my Fresh built Vitara'd Z6... I hope I dont have any issues with Crankwalk...
dont sit at red lights with the clutch pedal in, and you should be ok.
Quote:
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxlifer21 View Post
Or it is the sound of the discs meeting the flywheel, My 5 stage made this same sound when it was brand new. Hell I can still make it if I release the clutch really slow.
It sounds more like that than a bad release bearing to me. Never really been around a puck style clutch other than big trucks, and they sound totally different with the engine running and the clutch disengaged.

I kind of doubt it is crankwalk as the pedal pressure really isn't that high to begin with. Who knows though.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

When I went from my OEM clutch straight to my Comp STG 5 I didn't need to adjust anything. Now, when I replaced my clutch master cyl and the slave I had to adjust everything and bleed...but that was to be expected.

Yes, riding the clutch can help decrease your clutch setups useful life and that of the TOB. Learn to drop it into N at stop lights and not ride it cowboy.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

^ not to mention the thrust washers like bone stated.
Quote:
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 stiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stiffdogg06

Maybe its me or something, but with my CC stg 4, I never wanted to sit for any length of time holding that clutch pedal down.

434whp/332ftlbs D16Y8 GT3076R 27psi Meth Fed - 2010

2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL
stiffdogg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

This clutch it probably absolutely awesome for racing, but for driving in a smallish town, it sucks ass.

Kind of wish I would have stuck with the stock clutch for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in