Transmission Noise? Bad bearing? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115
Default Transmission Noise? Bad bearing?

Ive searched about the whining/ticking noise and most of them come to say that its low on fluids BUT in my case, it isnt. So here it goes.

Im sure most of you guys would recognize the sound of how your car sounds in reverse am i correct? The whining noise.

- For those that might go ahead and say, check the fluid lvls or do a flush. The fluid levels are correct and has been flushed several times and the whining noise still persists.
- Also, New OEM throw out bearing [ clutch release bearing ] and new pilot bearing

Symptoms :
- Whining noise can be heard while going forward and while in gear only.
- Noise goes away if I were to press down the clutch and coast [ still in gear ] BUT once I let off the clutch, noise returns.
- Noise can only be heard once in gear so if I am at a stop and is in neutral, no noise.

Oh. This example of how the noise sounds like is .....Have any of you seen the TV show The Price Is Right?
When at the end the people have to spin a HUGE ass wheel and see who lands on the highest number? Yeah sounds exactly like that but not as loud but still noticeable.

Any ideas? Input?

Thanks in advance
- Sammo

Ninja Edit:

Found some info that it can be the support bearings from either the main or countershaft went out. Possible? Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by Sammo115; 07-26-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!

If it was the countershaft bearing. Which bearing would it be?

If it was the mainshaft bearing. Which bearing would it be?

I would love to try and get this fixed before the big Cali DSO meet. If not...its either I cant make it or Imma hitch a ride with someone.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

input shaft bearing, not pictured above.

#15 and #21 seal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Would #14, #9 Be the same? Just wanting to confirm even though I believe they are the same haha.
This trans came out of a 95 Si
Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Im Having the same problem you are. Stock trans in a 96 ex. Ive been driving like this for a few weeks now, but only to and from work.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamody View Post
Im Having the same problem you are. Stock trans in a 96 ex. Ive been driving like this for a few weeks now, but only to and from work.
Yeah man. that's what I have been doing. This is my DD but I try my best to only drive it when needed. Sucks that im moving this entire week so driving my hatch like it was a pick up truck cause my wifes car is a bitch. Stupid G35...good for nothing.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

It came out of a 93 si ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Im in San Jose as well, We should look for a buy one trans get one free deal, haha. I wonder if this causes other problems? Might not be as easy as just getting a new IS bearing... What ya say Bone?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

different pics, but same parts.

ONLY one way to get me to Cali, Nemo CRX that I get to drive.

If not for local contract I'd be willing to tour the "wrong coast"......

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 kevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

D-series trannies are notorius for ISB. I think I have replaced 3 or 4 to date in the different trannies I have. Every time with OEM bearings and seals but they always get bad.

Disregard Females, Acquire Currency

Quote:
side to side play should be less then 1"
Quote:
only if she is under 30 years old......

wait.........nevermind!
kevo1586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

who installed the new release bearing and pilot bearing? Its possible that your clutch pedal free play is non-exsistant and your release bearing has prematurely worn out. have u checked free play? should be about a half inch
Omnipotent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

So just new ISB's and seals and i dont have to worry about anything else? how bout on tools, do i need anything special?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

you'll need some special tools.......

Quote:
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
who installed the new release bearing and pilot bearing? Its possible that your clutch pedal free play is non-exsistant and your release bearing has prematurely worn out. have u checked free play? should be about a half inch
A member on here installed the bearings for me and I trust his knowledge on inspecting/installing of things.

Oh and not to question you or anything bones but do you think that it might be the "synchro hub bearing" instead? Because this is how I described my issue on another forum and thats what a few has mentioned.

==As long as the clutch is engaged while in any number of gear, it makes that noise.
Once I disengage the clutch[clutch pedal down] and or held down, moving or at a stop, there is no noise.
If I were to put the transmission in neutral, moving or stopped and pedal engaged or disengaged no noise.

SO. like ive tried to explain. The noise only happens while im actually driving which means, I would be in 1st with the clutch engaged [ Pedal would be up ] the noise proceeds.==
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

The ISB only spins when your in gear, and the cluth is let out. When you push the clutch in Sammo, the ISB doesnt move because the gears inside the tranny arent moving/spinning.

I had the issue w/my old tranny in my EK sedan. The second I let off the clutch, it made a horrible knocking/helicopter sound. If I pushed the clutch in, it went away. i opened up the tranny, and all the little ball-bearings from the ISB fell everywhere.

Its caused from engine braking.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Crap, I honestly hope that the issue is just this single bearing and nothing else. I hope the local shop wont charge me much to replace this.

Thanks again fellas.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
Crap, I honestly hope that the issue is just this single bearing and nothing else. I hope the local shop wont charge me much to replace this.

Thanks again fellas.
Where do you plan taking it? I think you are better off replacing it yourself. A local shop would probably charge close to $300.

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

I dont have a press. If I did, I would of done it myself.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

You dont need a press. If the bearing isnt siezed into the casing, it should come right out.

Ive pulled a few trannys apart, to find the outter bearing race siezed to the clutch housing of the tranny. Those housings got junked...

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

AHH okay. Well I found a DIY on how to replace the ISB. Thanks alot fellllllas. Now I shall gather up my balls and head towards doing all this myself hahaha. Kinda nervous cause this is my only trans and this car is my DD >_< Wife is not gonna be happy hahaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in