very wierd cable trans issue's ? maybe multiple cause's ? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default very wierd cable trans issue's ? maybe multiple cause's ?

Well I just got a new 91 civic 4 door, originally a dx auto car, When I bought it it was already converted to a 5 speed, SO i dunno if it a si tranny, or what I believe it is but not 100%. anyways since I've bought the car when you start it and let the clutch out it make a wierd chattery noise and then when you push the clutch in it goes away, well today I was driving to work to get my check and the clutch jus stops engage'n or something and the car stalls going up a hill, the car was STUCK in third gear, let off the clutch pushed it back in tried pulling it to neutral, wouldnt budge out of third, so I unhooked the clutch cable from the trans, I then wiggled the metal shifter piece on the trans and hooked the cable back up and it drove 2 walmart pretty good except had 2 do the cable thing 1 more time on the side of the road and then get to walmart and put fluid in the trans, drives home 5 miles just fine then try to test drive it gas station and fucks with me again, this time I get it unstuck from 2nd gear by unhooking the cable again and I put the car in neutral and start it, and the car rolls forward like its in first, The clutch seems like it holds fine just sometimes get stuck in between gears or takes off in neutral, only sometimes, bad throw out bearing ?? trans taking a shit ? I just filled it and she was pretty low
ososlohatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

clutch and might have melted some bearings.

If the roller bearings under the gears get messed up they will act like a sprag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
clutch and might have melted some bearings.

If the roller bearings under the gears get messed up they will act like a sprag.
the disk itself ?? it supposedly has a stage 1 or 2 centerforce clutch, I kno my info sux but I just got the car, last week and it was fine untill today, you sayn its the actual disk possibly ? or pressure plate ? also you said "bearings under the gears", I duno much about transmissions but in the box of extra stuff I got with the car it has ( ihave no idea honestly) one thing looks like a gear maybe and the other a long shaft, maybe f.d. i duno ??? it supposedly has lsd and some sort of different gearing for autocross, but like I said I was driving the car with no issue's, adjusted the clutch when I first got it and it had been driving fine, Im hoping adjusting the clutch and filling the trans with trans oil helps helps, def a bummer though

also after doing some searching, It is a final drive ring gear and the othe long piece Im not sure what its called but ive been searching and I think that is part of the fd as well, Another question would be to find out what f.d. is in this box, if its a dx f.d. or a si one. also if it helps the clutch will chatter a little when you first let it out but once your driving even go up hills getting on it a little it holds fine, Im just going to have to tare it apart and see what the deal, could be loose pressure plate bolts or maybe when they put the clutch in used a cheapo throw out bearing.

well I did some investigating and my battery is larger than stock and it looked like the bat tipped over on the clutch cable, im go back outside now to strap the battery down and fill up the trans the rest of the way, also it seems like the clutch cable has to be as tight as it can go for there to be no slack, i have it screwed a little past 3/4 of the threads, is that normal ? It's not super tight just finger snug

Last edited by krychek57; 08-03-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Shadow is learning the way of the DShadow is learning the way of the D

my clutch is the same way, have to actually pull up on the cable as I tighten the adjuster to get it tight enough. Was the same way with my last cable honda too... I've been running aftermarket clutches a while now and they all seem to be that way. so yea I'm gonna say thats normal. By the sound of it you didnt have the cable tight enough so the clutch wouldnt ever completely disengage making shifting difficult, probably the reason you could shift sometimes is because you were close to rev matching anyway. If its not a standard clutch disk, and is like a 4 puck or 6 puck, especially if its unsprung, it will chatter when you let the clutch out, just the nature of the beast. Anyway if your car is otherwise mostly stock (as in just bolt ons, no big turbo or anything) and some ricer kid put way too strong of a clutch in it (this is common) what I would do is just buy an Exedy for like $100 if it continues to bother you and put that in and call it a day.

If when ur in neutral you let the clutch out and the car makes noise its your input shaft bearing.

Quote:
man your car is so low you need to cup your balls as you drive to prevent your nuts from scraping.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-24-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help, ya i was reading about the input shaft bearing, that def mus be bad, I duno shit about tranny's so it looks like ill be on the hunt for a si trans and a good clutch, ya its just the gay d15b2 or whatever in there right now but I plan on boosting something in the near future
Old 07-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

well swapp my trans out for a dx one my trans is a dx with some sort of gear and a lsd ,, but the input shaft has in out play as suspected..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in