cable vs cable to hydro - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default cable vs cable to hydro

my 89 STD hatch has had some work done. Running a B7 stage 2 cam, multipoints, intake etc..(long list) -it's alot faster then stock. I swapped in a 5sp from a 90 CRX with a eclutchmaster stage2 clutch, PP and lightweight flywheel. The PP barely clears the BH, but we muscled it all the way in and I guess it fits. Been driving it.

This trany is going out. It was weak from the start. Noisy, I started a thread on the clutch noise a while back but we found out the clutch is fine. Its this tranny. I need a new one. eclutchmaster rocks! They got back to me every time I had a question. It isn't the clutch at all.

Should I get another cable tranny from another 90-91 CRX Si? or do a cable to hydro conversion with a 92-96 CRX Si tranny? If so what do I need from Hasport?

Do I need
EFDHC?

and the mount kit??

EFSTK?

Will another cable tranny hold?? what'ss the best gear ratio if I can save $$ and pick up another cable tranny 88-91

Last edited by driftapex; 07-18-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: I have a Dell keyborddd
driftapex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

EDIT nevermind

Look for a cable tranny from a crx or civic si 89-91

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

Last edited by mattliston; 07-18-2010 at 06:49 PM.
mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

IMO the hydro trans are much better, but you may end up fighting the cable to hydro actuator setup. They always seem to be a pain. BTW, The Hasport is probably the best quality on the market, but on a budget, the Innovative kit seems pretty good too http://www.hamotorsports.com/49151mounts.html
egb19c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

HASport kit maintains the clutch cable, definitely the best conversion. Most kits make a pedal bracket with a slave dont they?

The HASport unit bolts under the hood somewhere, and uses a lever with the cable

sadly, its more expensive alone then even one way overpriced cable SI tranny

Build what you have!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

you can easily mount a clutch master on a bracket under the dash and actuate it with the stock pedal.

thats what i would do if i was in a pinch.

or just go cable. i almost prefer cable over hydro... hard to say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 94EXa2

if i had a cable trans car id just get an si cable trans, hydro car, id just get an ex/si hydro trans...just seems alot easier to me
Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
just go cable. i almost prefer cable over hydro...
agreed.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
HASport kit maintains the clutch cable, definitely the best conversion. Most kits make a pedal bracket with a slave dont they?

The HASport unit bolts under the hood somewhere, and uses a lever with the cable
It's definitely not the best conversion! The only real benefit of a hydro trans is when you are using a heavier than stock pressure plate. A cable won't hold up to the abuse of some of the really heavy clutches. Hasport's solution is half assed at best IMHO. If I were to do a hydro conversion, I would want to do it right and use a new pedal assemble, master, and slave set up. There is a new peddle assemble available. After that, I would use Innovative mounts.

Suja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
i almost prefer cable over hydro... hard to say...
I do. I think you get more feel from them. (although stretched cables are a bitch )

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
It's definitely not the best conversion! The only real benefit of a hydro trans is when you are using a heavier than stock pressure plate. A cable won't hold up to the abuse of some of the really heavy clutches. Hasport's solution is half assed at best IMHO. If I were to do a hydro conversion, I would want to do it right and use a new pedal assemble, master, and slave set up. There is a new peddle assemble available. After that, I would use Innovative mounts.

Suja1

I do. I think you get more feel from them. (although stretched cables are a bitch )

The HASport kit im talking about has a boix that mounts in the enginebay

inside the box is a clutch master. you maintain cable clutch pedal assembly, but gain benefit of running a hydro trans without having to modify or add anything to the trans itself

Build what you have!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Build what you have!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

wtf is all that mess^^^^^ lol man i have always luved the fell of a cable trans

sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

the cable is run llke that since the radiator sits right behind it.

I think its a clean way of adding a hydro. No pedal bracket assembly to replace. just a different tranny mount, and any braided clutch line to top it off.

Build what you have!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....

Actually, the part you show in your picture Matt is the part that Innovative sells.

B/D/H/K Series Cable to Hydraulic Conversion

Hasport uses a cable conversion that puts an arm on the hydro tranny, so it really becomes a cable trans.

88-91 Civic/CRX D-Series Hydraulic Transmission Conversion Kit

I would personally still prefer to replace my peddle assembly and eliminate the cable entirely if I was going hydro.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

You've all given me some good ideas, thanks. I'm in the N. Cali, Mendo/Lake area. I'll probably drive to Sac at the end of the week and try to get a 91 Si cable trans. Of course I cant take my hatch since Sac. is a bunch of zero tolerance sell outs!!! CARB is a never ending collective of bureaucrats trying to keep them self's employed...

(Breathe deep)

I'm OK now.

Yes, a new cable Si tranny is what I'm getting.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Actually, the part you show in your picture Matt is the part that Innovative sells.
I see that Hasport has introduced a similar cable to hydro set up as well. I guess the original set up didn't work all that well It's got to be better than just attaching an arm and cable to your hydro trans.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

I got a 90 CRX Si cable trans from Specialized Parts Planet in Sac, Cali. Great folks! Fast shipping. The trans is tight, looks like low miles. The gear ratio is way closer then my old 5sp. The noise went away, however I STILL have a high speed front end vibration. I am at the end of my ropes here!!! The whole front end is new; poly bushings, new rack. everything is new. I'm thinking a bad axle, but it is new!!(From Kragen) which is why it might be bad... I dunno. I'm about to start yet another thread..
Old 07-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

all ill say is cable ratios are way way shorter my ej1 is slow compared to my zc pwrd 90 fodo

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in