Pressure plate not clearing bell housing - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Pressure plate not clearing bell housing

I don't know if this is a common problem or my casee is unique, but I tried searching and found nothing...my friend had a similar problem except his was a b series and he ended up cracking his tranny open on bell housing...

I have an act pressure plate on a fidanza flywheel and for some reason its not clearing my bell housing, the motor is an 90 d15b2 and tranny is an 90 si...when I started it up I head a thudding noise, my question is did I install wrong or do I have to modify the bell housing?

Ps I've installed clutches and PP before just not aftermarket stuff...or act for that matter...

Pps ill take pics if you guys are unclear of what I'm talking about...

Last edited by unknowncrx; 07-15-2010 at 12:22 PM.
unknowncrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

did you get the wrong PP from ACT? mine clears just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Red face

That's wat I'm thinking but I bought the thing like over 2 years ago never used it till now...don't even have the original packaging no more...

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknowncrx View Post
I don't know if this is a common problem or my casee is unique, but I tried searching and found nothing...my friend had a similar problem except his was a b series and he ended up cracking his tranny open on bell housing...

I have an act pressure plate on a fidanza flywheel and for some reason its not clearing my bell housing, the motor is an 90 d15b2 and tranny is an 90 si...when I started it up I head a thudding noise, my question is did I install wrong or do I have to modify the bell housing?

Ps I've installed clutches and PP before just not aftermarket stuff...or act for that matter...

Pps ill take pics if you guys are unclear of what I'm talking about...
im assuming since you started the motor, that you have it all bolted back together... that would most likely mean the PP clears. as long as you bought the right one. when i did my auto to manual swap i got a clunking noise... turns out the flywheel bolts werent torqued even. i would tear it apart and double check to make sure you got everything bolted up right.
T@inted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Hmm fly wheel ill check that...but its not clunking its a uniform thudding noise the first time I had it on It did start up yet I tore it apart and noticed the back of the PP was hitting something the paint was missing and the bell housing had a mark on it...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

that might be to a flywheel not fully aligned. everything bolts to the flywheel if its crooked or slanted then the PP could be hitting the bellhousing. doesnt hurt to tear it apart and redo it just to make sure you got it all in right before something breaks.
T@inted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Besides the fact the the flywheel is misaligned, checked and re checked it, my real question now is, has anyone ever installed an act clutch from a 92-95 or newer PP into a 88-91? because in the past I've used oem or stock PP from a 98 civic and PP from a 92 civic and had no problems...any input will be appreciated..
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

how much runout on the crankshaft????

Worn/missing thrust washers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Ill have to measure that out tomarrow, but the thrust washers are new I just rebuilt the bottom end...this same situation haapened with my other set up too tho it never ran, when I dissasembled to use the clutch PP and flywheel for this build the transmisson had the same markings where the PP is hitting the bellhousing....
Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

kinda blurry but pictures show weld and where the PP is hitting the bell housing.

CLICK FOR BETTER VIEW
Click image for larger version

Name:	ber (4).jpg
Views:	693
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	24971

Name:	ber.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	24972

Name:	ber (1).jpg
Views:	533
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	24973

Name:	ber (2).jpg
Views:	269
Size:	807.3 KB
ID:	24974

Name:	ber (2)doo.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	24975

should i just dremel the weld a little bit to clear the bell housing? It doesn't look like anything else is hitting the bell housing. i dont think the weld is structural to the PP. Can anyone tell me what the PP is hitting on the bell housing?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

shitty PP, welded on weight is not clearing.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

should I dremel it?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
should I dremel it?
if you wanna risk ruining a tranny case, go for it.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

i meant the welds...but i already did...it doesnt look lik much is hitting so i shaved a little off...
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

I had a similar issue with my D15b7, running a 90crx tranny. I'm using the eclutchmaster stage 2 w/lightweight flywwheel. The pressure plate clears the BH by like three sheets of paper. Mine works. I dunno, try re aligning everything, torque everything down to manual specs. Make sure it seats all the way in, muscle it. Sounds like a common issue with these 88-91 cable tranny's and high performance clutch kits, I dunno. I have other issues with this tranny and am going to start a new thread.
driftapex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
i meant the welds...but i already did...it doesnt look lik much is hitting so i shaved a little off...
You gonna have it rebalanced?

Quote:
Old 07-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Ok so after I trimmed the PP a little, and re-assembled everything back noise is gone...now I just drive and hopefully no long term effects...
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

well, I would hold the motor at about 4500 rpms and see if its wbbling at all. That will let you know if your "mod" didnt unbalance the clutch assembly too much.

Now is a time for complaining to whoever you bought the clutch from

a fucking WELD should not have done that.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in