Can't diagnose tranny/front end noise... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default Can't diagnose tranny/front end noise... *SOLVED*

Ok, so I'm having this grinding/clunking noise coming from my front end and I can't figure out what it is. I thought it might be my axles but those have been replaced and the noise is still there. I knew my clutch needed replaced so I went ahead and replaced it hoping it would fix the noise but no luck. The noise I'm hearing is while the car is moving. It's a rotational noise but it's not related to the engine RPM, it's related to the vehicle speed. At slower speeds it goes ck ck....... ck ck........ ck ck......... as the car speeds up the sounds get more frequent. The sound does not go away until the car is at a complete stop no matter what. The sound is still there with the clutch in/out and in/out of gear. Now the thing that is really throwing me off is when I jack the car up and spin the wheels there is no noise even if I start the car and put it in gear to get the wheels spinning. The only time I hear the noise is with the weight of the car on the wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did notice that with my axles out, when I put my fingers in the trans I could feel some movement... Is that normal?

Thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by 94hatchSI; 07-27-2010 at 06:28 AM.
94hatchSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

ISB maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

check your brakes and rotors, or if the sound gets worse when you are turning in a certain direction it could be your wheel bearings.
T@inted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
it could be your wheel bearings.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat

^^^ Kind of what I was thinking. I didn't notice the sound until about a week after replacing a wheel stud and to replace that I had to pull the hub with a slide hammer. I thought I got it back in there good. I also greased the bearing before I put the hub back in.

Tainted: Thats another thing I think it might be. I've heard of the brake dust shield causing this noise I'm talking about, if it's bent and making contact with the rotor.

This noise is weird for me. After replacing my clutch the noise was gone for a day. Then, yesterday I had to slam on my brakes for a guy talking on is cell phone and pulling out in front of me in his HUGE F-350 dually and the noise came back. So, I'm leaning towards brakes or wheel bearing. Also, today on my lunch break I was backing into a shaded parking spot so I could eat my lunch and stay cool and I noticed a bad grinding noise from the passenger side of the car. The noise only happens when I'm reversing uphill, whether it be slightly uphill or a steeper grade. I'm wondering if this is connected with my noise I'm hearing on the driver side of the car.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

check your suspension out carefully all bushings and its probably a wheel bearing like others have said i had mine doing this and it turned out to be a going bad balljoint
solo_one87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Also, as far as the ISB goes, when I had the trans out I tried to wiggle the input shaft side to side, up/down and in/out and there was no more play in it than the shaft on a brand new turbo. So, I assumed that was still good. The only part that I felt any play in was inside where the axles go. When I reached my fingers in there I could move something around in there. Like up/down and side to side.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_one87 View Post
check your suspension out carefully all bushings and its probably a wheel bearing like others have said i had mine doing this and it turned out to be a going bad balljoint
That's another thing I'm going to check. I heard it could be lower ball joints. Which ball joint went bad on yours? Upper or lower?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Mine was making the same noise. turned out to be the tranny.

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
Mine was making the same noise. turned out to be the tranny.
What part of the tranny? Or what did you do/replace/repair to fix the noise?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Could the output shaft bearing(s) make this noise I'm describing? I do have a little bit of play in my axles where they go into the trans. The axles are brand new though.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well, I played in a golf tournament today after work and after I played and drove home the noise was gone. I drove it for almost 17miles and no noise. I'm completely stumped on this noise.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 BoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like Borat

If you ripped on your hub with a slide hammer you can almost guarantee the wheel bearing is fucked..
BoostedCouped16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

It was just a twig stuck in the control arm rubbing on the rotor lol. If its gone it sounds like it may have just been the dust shield. Bad bearing noise doesn't just fix itself.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
It was just a twig stuck in the control arm rubbing on the rotor lol. If its gone it sounds like it may have just been the dust shield. Bad bearing noise doesn't just fix itself.
That's what I was thinking as well. The noise came back this morning on my way to work but, only intermittently. I really need to just stop being lazy, jack the car up and take a look under there. I've just been busy as hell at work lately. I'll have an update for sure tonight. I just hope that it's one that says its fixed... lol Thanks again for all the replies everyone!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Could the ISB make a noise intermittently? I'm hoping some of the tranny guru's will chime in here and let me know. Today while on lunch the noise was there initially but, as I got closer to my apartment the noise went away. Then, it came back for a little while on my way back to work and shortly after went away again.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

Ok just turn your radio up until:

a) transmission shoots parts out
b) clutch takes a crap
c) wheel falls off
d) brakes quit working
e) engine blows up

Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

^^^ x2 thats what i do lol. if it dont drive weird or make any alarming grinding noises like the transmission is about to fall out then i wouldnt worry bout it. mine makes grinding noises.... bent back the dust shield to make sure its clear and it still does it. meh. thank god for radios.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
^^^ x2 thats what i do lol. if it dont drive weird or make any alarming grinding noises like the transmission is about to fall out then i wouldnt worry bout it. mine makes grinding noises.... bent back the dust shield to make sure its clear and it still does it. meh. thank god for radios.
I would, but this noise is very alarming to me. I've never had a noise like this on any of my cars. It's hard to describe too. I always think I can feel it in the steering wheel but it's just my suspension when going over bumps or little cracks in the road. It sounds like if you were to have a sealed bearing that has barely any clearance in there and toss a tiny bit of sand in there and it starts to clunk/grind but then goes away. I'm wondering if my grease that I greased my wheel bearing with was contaminated...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

first if the wheel bearing is starting to go, the noise wouldnt just stop and then start whenever it felt like annoying you. second, you can test this by taking turns. if you turn either direction/wobble the steering wheel back and forth the noise will get louder/softer or maybe even dissapear all together. if you do this test next time your out you can probably eliminate the bearing... its not your transmission because the noises would change pace based on clutch and gear changes, since it does not i would rule out the transmission. only because its based on the speed of the car itself i would say its something to do with your axles, rotors, bearings, brakes. thats just my 2 cents. i do not claim to be an expert whatsoever but ive had problems like this before and it usually turns out to be something simple. sounds to me like you really need to jack it up and get a closer look at everything and run some tests instead of gestimating what it could be. =D cheers. GL finding the source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in