shifter play. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default shifter play.

my car came with the urethan shifter bushings but i was wonderign what stabalizes the pivot ball on the shifter lever? my shifter seems liek its wobbly due to play in the pivot ball.

i was also wonderign if a ebay shifter woudl have a shorter throw than teh hurst shifter that my crx came with?

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 07-11-2010 at 05:48 AM.
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Spadedek is learning the way of the DSpadedek is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

check all the bushings? mine ate up a bushing and the play was huge. Replaced bushings with metal, no more problems
Spadedek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all

the ones i can see are new they are urethan. im talkign about the ball where the shiter lever pivots. i assume there is a bushing in there?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

yes there is a bushing in there. might have to go to a junk yard or the dealer to get a new one if its worn out. it expands when you go to remove the old shifter. i recommend cleaning and repacking it with new grease first. bearing grease works just fine.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

My car has the same issue. It's kind of annoying.

Not sure what can be done.

There's an energy suspension bushing that goes near the base of the shifter itself, but it's not where the ball pivots. That might help...

As far as I know, there's not an after market bushing that replaces it. Might see if honda can get one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

This has been a source of discussion among my group of friends for a while.

One of them thinks that it's the shaft coming out of the transmission that contains to much slop. He's talked about welding on a universal joint to both ends of the shifting mechanism to alleviate the play. Haven't seen it come to fruition yet but if it ever does I'll be sure to post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enough

the ball of the shifter sits in a little plastic cage/bushing - part # 54110-SH3-003 from the dealer.

that may help, but the usual suspects in shifter play are two things:

1) the u-joint that's part of the shift linkage itself. both rc autoworks and wicked innovation do a mod where they take your shift linkage, cut out the old joint, and weld a much nicer u-joint in it's place. spendy though. a brand new shift linkage may help (and is much cheaper at only $40-$60), but I think the stock linkage still has more play than the modded u-joints.

2) the bitch pin itself can cause a fair amount of play at the shifter - I just replaced mine with a brand new one from the dealer, and it improved things significantly.

bopApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i can feel the lever moving up and down if i grip the knob and tug upwards a bit. the pivot ball definately isnt in there solid. other than that i think my shifter would feel a lot more solid.

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 07-12-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

part # 54110-SH3-003 from the dealer

make an order bro, you will be glad you did.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

Anyone know how hard this is to replace?... does the linkage have to be dropped? Or can you do it from inside the car?

Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano_Redline View Post
Anyone know how hard this is to replace?... does the linkage have to be dropped? Or can you do it from inside the car?
it's the exact same difficulty as replacing the shift lever itself. 99% certain you'll have to wrench under the car at least, not sure that you have to drop the linkage - chances are you can just unbolt the linkage in the back and swing it down.

it's certainly easiest if you're able to pull the 'torque arm' (part of the linkage that the shifter actually sits in) out from under the car.

bopApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

its the u joint on the linkage just replace with linkage with less play in the joint or i heard you can squeeze the u joint in a vice and it fixes the problem.

the bushings should not ever go bad

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

its not the u joint theres ply in the lever itself. the lever moves up and down, not as in up and down shift motion.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 s_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to s_18

Get under there and move the shifter up/down while looking at it. The culprint should be fairly easy to spot.
From the sound of it I would look at the bushings and check if the bolts are in properly.
If in good condition and properly mounted they should hold the shifter in place.

s_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownsamcv View Post
its not the u joint theres ply in the lever itself. the lever moves up and down, not as in up and down shift motion.
remove shifter, properly install shifter, reinstall shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

98% of all shifter sloop is with these bushing right here.

Order new parts here, or just use the p/n's at your local dealer...

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

except for the up and down movement, someone didn't tighten the two bolts down correctly as they get rusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in