Attempting Clutch Replacement - What Else To Replace - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Khnemu
Default Attempting Clutch Replacement - What Else To Replace

My 2000 Si is in need of a clutch, it has 124,000 miles. I'm going to order an Exedy replacement clutch, resurface the flywheel, axle seals, RMS.

Is there anything else I should be checking / replacing while I'm in there? Do I need a torque wrench? Any special tools I need? RTV?

Thanks for the help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Khnemu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Well of course your going to be needing a tq wrench. How else are you gonna tq everything to spec?

As for things you might need? I wouldnt think so. Besides new MTF fluids since the clutch kit should come with the needed bearings. Not sure if it comes with a pilot bearing though but you'll need that as well. Other then that, you seem to have all the things to you need.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Nah, Just impact the bell housing bolts, the clutch hold down bolts are light torque like 18-24lbs or something like that. Dont quote me on it, but its not much. If your doing the axle seals while your there good, form sir. Other wise it should be pretty straight forward.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
Well of course your going to be needing a tq wrench. How else are you gonna tq everything to spec?

As for things you might need? I wouldnt think so. Besides new MTF fluids since the clutch kit should come with the needed bearings. Not sure if it comes with a pilot bearing though but you'll need that as well. Other then that, you seem to have all the things to you need.
Most new clutch kits come with a pilot bearing. And yes DO torque the clutch hold down bolt to spec, but the bell housing bolts make them PFT!!

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

always use a torque wrench. always.

make sure to apply lube to the throw out bearing too.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

The clutch kit will come with everything...and like Levi said, lube up the TOB, the trans housing shaft, and the pivot release arm.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

might as well do the rear main seal and get the flywheel resurfaced. this is just me though

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

Yes grease up the throw out bearing

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey89 View Post
might as well do the rear main seal and get the flywheel resurfaced. this is just me though

I said that in my first post Jose, lol.

Alright so I need lube, is white lithium grease okay? I'll buy / borrow a torque wrench. Lube TOB and pivot arm. Anything else?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

Lithuim grease is fine. Thats what I used.

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khnemu View Post

I said that in my first post Jose, lol.

Alright so I need lube, is white lithium grease okay? I'll buy / borrow a torque wrench. Lube TOB and pivot arm. Anything else?
oh my bad reading owns me carry on

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Torquing to spec is a good idea on things that are going to be spinning several thousand rpm.

Tranny bolts? Mount bolts? Don't bother.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khnemu View Post
Lube TOB and pivot arm. Anything else?
dont forget to lube the shaft. ....
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
dont forget to lube the shaft. ....
That's a given.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 BoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I would definatly do the rear main while you got the trans dropped, seems like every honda ive worked on has a leaking rear main. Lube anything that moves, you will need a 12mm 12 point for the pressure plate bolts and a 17mm 12 point to remove the flywheel to put the new pilot bearing in. Those are also the only 2 parts you NEED to tourque to spec. Make sure you use the clutch disk allignment tool.
BoostedCouped16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

<<<<< Doesn't torque anything to do with clutch/flywheel/transmission.

Impact set on 3 for flywheel, set on 1.5 for PP bolts.

I know my impact very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Just because a rear main seal is leaking and you replace it doesn't mean that the leak will stop. I've seen bad rear main seals wear a good groove into the crank that even a new seal couldn't 100% seal up. Out comes a speedi-sleeve.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 aznboy515 is learning the way of the Daznboy515 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

to be on safe side, i would recommend using loctite on flywheel bolts, they are only like 4 bucks for small tube,

MEDIUM STRENGTH will do it,

unless u gonna swap flywheel in and out every few thousand miles u dont need it haha, but sounds like just one time replacement thing. extra insurance wont hurt and factory bolts have loctite in them i believe...
aznboy515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 allmotorcoupe24 is worse than Satan's assholeallmotorcoupe24 is worse than Satan's asshole

always used a brand new oem throwout bearing, the first couple clutchs i did i used the one suppplied with the clutch and started making noise.
allmotorcoupe24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

always resurface the flywheel or it will chatter like a bitch. replace the rear seal. and might as well do the oilpan gasket while you're at it. do it now and it will save you a massive headache later. clean everything and lube the T.O.B and fork assembley. will keep things smooth. i didn't resurface the flywheel and it chattered so bad that it was almost undriveable. caused the throwout bearing to go out in 6 months. had to drop the tranny again. was a total bitch.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in