D15b7 - Which transmission? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 TheSaint is learning the way of the DTheSaint is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D15b7 - Which transmission?

hey all

i have a D15b7 with 300k kms on the clock, it has a D16a6 cam and basic bolt ons ... always looked after, serviced well, fussed over etc

after having a bumpy ride for a while, i checked my shocks and they were dead, so i replaced them ... but the bumpy ride was still there ggrrr

after driving normally for 5mins (didnt even get to put my foot down) i was pulling out onto a highway in 1st gear and the car just started free revving ...
the transmission feels fine, the clutch still has spring, and the engine still runs ... but when i release the clutch while in gear it just revs with no drive to the wheels

i got towed back to my mechanics house and he pulled it apart again to have a look at it ... he said that the input shaft could be dead but he will have to investigate further, this could account for the bumpy ride i was getting

either way he told me to start pricing up transmissions from the local wreckers (im in australia lol)

whats the best transmission i can get for this engine? what will fit?
i tried a quick search but my search-fu is weak

if someone could point me in the right direction i would be greatful =)
TheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 TheSaint is learning the way of the DTheSaint is learning the way of the D

my build thread for more info ...

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-ausdm-yo.html
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

personaly i prefer the trans off of the si sol. a little closer gearing, eventually however im going to order a set of custom 5ths from ssr for better fuel mileage and run a mfactory lsd in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

OEM .702 5th is all you need for mileage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

I have a CX trans and in 5th gear Im doing 65mph at 2k rpm.

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 jollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

well you could pretty much match up any Dseries hydro tranny. if that b7 is the stock motor then stock replacement would be the dx tranny. but if your going to replace it you should just buy an ex/si tranny and call it a day. shorter gearing but wont loose much mpg's. hell of a lot more fun tho to drive. cant remember the actual tranny code for the dx but ex/si is B000 s20.

MR 95 ex coupe- CAF!-R.I.P. put into a wall by work..

MR 94 ex coupe- from the effing canigits eh?

Quote:
I'd fuck that like she was the economy and I was obama!
Quote:
Grab her by the throat and fuck that bitch silly. If she tries to fight just whisper in her ear "don't turn this rape into a murder"
jollyroger494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

please tell me engines ... not car models

i live in australia and the only thing thats the same is the engine

its a 1.5ltr ... i dont car much about fuel economy ... its always still gona be better than my WRX lol

i just want a stronger box with better performance

so what engine is in the ex/si?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 leemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcano
leemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

ex /si...should b the same...trans.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

ok so im thinking D16y8 box with exedy clutch kit and fidanza light flywheel ... will this work?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

From what i hear yes, but you might have to be more specific on the trans code. Like s20 or s40.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 DemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
ok so im thinking D16y8 box with exedy clutch kit and fidanza light flywheel ... will this work?
Of course it will. Just buy the correct fitting parts.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

just got a quote from local wrecker ... $770AUD for D16y8 gearbox =/

i was expecting more along the lines of $300 =/
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

$250 USD is a fair price, shipping wouldn't be cheap

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

yeah i guess ill have a look around on ozhonda.com ... or just get my original box fixed and wear the cost =/
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

still looking for a gearbox - mine is pretty well dead now
not too bad for 310 000 kms

still trying to suss out what to do

there are some JDM SOHC D15B VTEC 5spd manuals on ebay - will these bolt up?

EDIT - trans code: S20-2032459

Last edited by TheSaint; 09-19-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

ok so im going to pick up a S40 gearbox tomorow

its from a 96-00 EK VTI which in australia have D16y5 ( afaik same as D16y8 )

is there anything i should know before i drop it off at the mechanic for the swap?

also should i do clutch and flywheel now while its all off?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Y5 USDM tranny will be slow. Y5/Y8 USDM tranny's are the same case, one has crappy 3.72 FD and long gears, other (Y has the desired 4.25 FD and normal spaced gears.

Know what you are buying!

Quote:
Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

hrm ... how can i tell the difference?

so if i get the Y5 it will be worse than my stock one?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
hrm ... how can i tell the difference?

so if i get the Y5 it will be worse than my stock one?
A) split it open and count teeth

B) yes.

This opinion based on USDM info.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

thanks so much for this info - i hate being a noob

A) is it hard to split it open?
B) how many teeth should the better gearbox have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in