Clutch issues? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 12 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to spoonsol
Default Clutch issues?

so this is the first time ive put a new clutch in...ive swapped over a clutch. just never done a new one. so i picked up an exedy clutch/pressure plate/carquest flywheel. but at first i had a guy resurface my flywheel on his lathe...it seemed unbalanced to me but he said it was warped...it had worked earlier but the clutch was slippy as fuck...like anything over 15% throttle and BRUUUMMM. so ANYWAY...i put the resurfaced fly in with the other parts...it cranked up and had a funny idle *prolly a switched connector or hose* but when id bring it to a higher idle and hold it you could feel a shaking. note...the whole time the car was on stands and the clutch pedal was engaged. what worries me is that in neutral when id pull the clutch you could hear a quite loud clicking. idk wtf could cause this. i replaced the throwout and pilot bearings even tho the throwout only had 6k miles on it. ill take any suggestions. tomorrow morn im gonna finish hooking the motor up. thanks d fam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

vaguely sounding like ISB.

Did you grab your shaft and wiggle it?????

NOT THAT SHAFT, the input shaft!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 12 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness

it seemed pretty sturdy. i didnt TRY and wiggle it but i played with the throw out some today and it the input didnt move. i actually turned it some when putting the "grease" on it

Old 07-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

greasing your shaft.......at least you know better than to put it in dry!

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

yeah....a lil spit never hurt *waits for d fam to see post*

Old 07-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

but in all seriousness...when me and mom went to drop the trans onto the motor....it didnt seem to have any side to side give as tho the "I.S" was moving.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I was gonna ask if your mom checked your shaft........but damn!!!!

OK kidding aside.....do any of the springs in the PP have wear marks, even on a new unit?

unit.....LOL!

Quote:
Old 07-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I was gonna ask if your mom checked your shaft........but damn!!!!

OK kidding aside.....do any of the springs in the PP have wear marks, even on a new unit?

unit.....LOL!
not on the new one...but the old one was starting to get shiny on the tips of the springs...bout 1/8th inch wide on each tip. seemed like the throw out coulda dont it to me. the old ones springs still looked great tho...nothing bent

Old 07-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonsol View Post
not on the new one...but the old one was starting to get shiny on the tips of the springs...bout 1/8th inch wide on each tip. seemed like the throw out coulda dont it to me. the old ones springs still looked great tho...nothing bent
Those springs might be weak and moving around. With clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) it shouldn't vibrate.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Those springs might be weak and moving around. With clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) it shouldn't vibrate.
im hoping it was the flywheel....cause it was making the noise with the NEW pp

Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

what clutch? was that changed with the new PP?

new PP......sorry, not intended.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

exedy clutch and pp. and it STARTED when i put the "new" shit in. could it be that the clutch was gripping an "unbalanced" surface..i.e effed up flywheel and causing that?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Once pedal was release the clutch wouldn't cause any vibration issues UNLESS the PP wasn't balanced.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

well if the fly is unbalanced and the pp bolts into fly...doesnt it become unbal?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Yes, but takes a lot to unbalanced a flywheel.

If it was cut down to say 13 lbs it needs rebalanced. If only cut the friction surface it won't need balanced.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

while on the lather you could see AND hear that the surface being cut was unlevel somehow....if you cut down a flywheel without it mounted to the lathe flush...could it do it then?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonsol View Post
while on the lather you could see AND hear that the surface being cut was unlevel somehow....if you cut down a flywheel without it mounted to the lathe flush...could it do it then?
same as getting a piece of grit behind a brake rotor when slapping it back on.

But the lathe operator should have picked it up on first pass.

1/3 of the flywheel would be cut and the other 2/3's not, pie style. At that point you measure run out on the outer portion of the flywheel. If the run out is wacked you dismount and remount the flywheel.

Or you would check the run out before firing the lathe up.

Need Acid Beaver's help on this.

calling it a night, hope I've help somewhat.....

Quote:

Last edited by transzex; 07-04-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

turns out....it was the flywheel! all is good and the beast is back

Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

sounds good!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in