What type of gear to choose? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smile What type of gear to choose?

Hey all, this is my first post and am wondering, i have a d16y8 with the stock trans and my third gear crunchs at high rpm but fine as a D.D. My question is what other types of MTF(besides Honda) is good for my trans....i was looking at royal purples synchro mesh but was just wondering on other options....Thanks and mahalos
808_Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

10w30 motor oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

would differenet brands like castrol syntec or royal purple make a difference? i had 10w30 before and was okay but was just wondering....any thoughts?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

12ozwrecker It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

nah. just good ol 10w30.
Welcome! 808 reppin!

Quote:
A true hot rodder is a hot rodder plain and simple Brand age etc is not that important....We are here because we hot rod Hondas, not because we ONLY hot rod Hondas.
word.
12ozwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
10w30 motor oil.
hmmmmmm i was told and always believed that 10w30 was a bandaid and only to be used for a short time till you can get honda mtf or syncromesh?!?

but if the trans guru says its ok, i may not have to spend $20 on 2 quarts of syncromesh next time to change out the tranny fluid

How to hook up turbo coolant lines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

where do u find synchromesh? is that royal rurple? i was looking at royal purples synchromesh and said that u can add that to manual transmissions that require autamatic trans fluid,that kinda threw me off.....
Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 lilryanadamse is learning the way of the Dlilryanadamse is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lilryanadamse Send a message via MSN to lilryanadamse

i just use penzoil syncromesh. you can get that at most parts stores.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

yeah, definitely do not use motor oil as a long term solution. Maybe first try Honda MTF ($7.01 per quart at my dealership) and then if that doesn't work get the syncromesh. Or maybe the other way around? I have read that syncromesh is great put can sometimes be hard to get out of gear.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

12ozwrecker It's a JDM Star Bitches....

im sure bone will chime in as we just went over this here recently regaurding Gear oil in a tranny.
Old school Honda MTF was ok...the new mtf is thick and doesnt work as well...

Quote:
A true hot rodder is a hot rodder plain and simple Brand age etc is not that important....We are here because we hot rod Hondas, not because we ONLY hot rod Hondas.
word.
12ozwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 racer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebody

10w30 from Wallmart.FTW.
racer76j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

gm syncromesh friction modified all ways worked good for me

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens4 View Post
yeah, definitely do not use motor oil as a long term solution. Maybe first try Honda MTF ($7.01 per quart at my dealership) and then if that doesn't work get the syncromesh. Or maybe the other way around? I have read that syncromesh is great put can sometimes be hard to get out of gear.
Really now, how do you base you point????

10w30 is the recommended fluid by Honda for 88-95 transmission and able to be used in 96-00 as well.

Honda no longer sells the MTF that they suggested for 96-00 transmissions. The only reason for the thinner fluid, better gas mileage.

Current MTF from Honda is pisswater thin.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Bones... since we're on the topic... As you know, I am a racer head. I have been using Redline MTL and Redline Lightweight shockproof in a 3:1 ratio for sometime now. Any advice if that's any better or worse than a good 10w30 motor oil for racing applications? or even when for street use?

martyr1391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Redline MTL likes to dissolve plastic bearing cages in Honda Bearings.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Hence all that yellow brown paste and easy glide-> loose glide bearing action... thanks

martyr1391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

thank you for that point, I've never mentioned this.

The brown bearing cages with "lighten" in color after running Redline MTL. I have a SCCA HS tranny I did not long ago and kept the bearings from it because of this.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Gears are categorized into several types. They are used in a wide era of industries including automotive, milling, paper industry etc. According to different applications in industries and different materials used they are categorized separately. Different types of gears are also custom design and are fabricated by gear manufacturing services as par the specifications.

Crown Wheel and Pinion
Differential Gears
Fine Pitch Gears
Girth Gears
Hardened and Ground Gears
Helical Bevel Gears

|
|
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in