HELP: 5th gear whines like bad wheel bearing! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 aznboy515 is learning the way of the Daznboy515 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Unhappy HELP: 5th gear whines like bad wheel bearing!

helllo guys, i have problem with my tranny, when i brough it. it whines little bit but now 3000 miles later its getting worest.

when in 5th, when not pushing on gas, its hard to hear but once u push gas pedal little bit, it start to whine, gets louder and louder as i go faster, once i hit around 90mph, it gets so loud my shifter vibrates and it hurts my ears little bit.....

i dont think its the gear, but is there like a bearing in the gear or something? it sounds almost just like bad wheel bearing(i had bad wheel bearings before)

any help would be appreciated. if its not too bad, i might just rebuilt it with fresh gears, and time for new clutch anyway for myboost set up...

thanks in advance for any input!!!
aznboy515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!

i think 5th gear whine means it was ran low on fluid. might wait for boner to chyme in

btw if it was run low it is screwed

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

5th gear is burnt up either low on fluid or blocked oil passages. Plan on replacing 6 bearings, 5th gear, and maybe 4th gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 aznboy515 is learning the way of the Daznboy515 is learning the way of the D

ok alright, im gonna check on the fluid level tomorrow, but im pretty sure gear is shot now, hopefully its just low on fluid and will be better after i added some fluid so it last me a couple more months till i pull motor to get ready for boost.

btw im cruising at 3300 at 65mph(4th gear) so its still getting good gas consider i read on the sticky 2900-3200 is most efficient correct?

thanks for the advice guys!

also u got any link to rebuilt tranny(the b series link one is broken)? i think ill attempt to do so, and how much are gears? my 2nd gear pops out sometimes, and a after market lsd while im at it.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

oh and i get some pretty good discount at honda for my work, so parts would be little cheaper! my boss order some stuff worth about 600, he only paid like 430 for them!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Find you a good spare tranny first, swap it in, then tear this one apart.

Helms manual will give you most everything you need to know, even a sticky to get the file at top of this forum.

TAKE AND POST PICS!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

expect to replace the isb, countershaft bearing, mainshaft end bearing, and all needle bearings on the mainshaft. have fun. thats assuming you can find a 5th gear to swap in for free or cheap.

Last edited by cervan; 06-26-2010 at 02:10 AM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

two countershaft bearings, 4-5 roller bearings.....don't forget to inspect 1st and 2nd friction dampers as well, heat from low oil kills them.

Betting some gears are discolored from heat

Quote:
Old 06-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
two countershaft bearings, 4-5 roller bearings.....don't forget to inspect 1st and 2nd friction dampers as well, heat from low oil kills them.

Betting some gears are discolored from heat
Though, damage on my transmission wasn't that bad(luckily it wasn't run long while low on fluid); both friction dampers disintegrated and I had burnt oil around 5th gear.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

YUP sounds like my top gear are probably toasted haha, old owner said it started whine about a year before i brough it, he never had issue with it then.

i think its probably cheaper just go buy a good trans now and tear it down to replace few seals(rather replace1-3 gears) and add LSD huh?

what kind of lsd would you guys recommend on a budget street car? not looking for some crazy ones just not ebay junk.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboy515 View Post
YUP sounds like my top gear are probably toasted haha, old owner said it started whine about a year before i brough it, he never had issue with it then.

i think its probably cheaper just go buy a good trans now and tear it down to replace few seals(rather replace1-3 gears) and add LSD huh?

what kind of lsd would you guys recommend on a budget street car? not looking for some crazy ones just not ebay junk.
i would reccomend ebay junk.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

have you have personal used one before?

im not gonna be doing crazy stuff with this car, just weekend car, kinda like mostly daily driving, doing auto-x and drag race once a while. nothing too serious
Old 06-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

If you're going to get an LSD, get a MFactory one or at the very least a "good" OBX unit.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

damn the ones i found are around $350?? or am i looking for the wrong stuff? to my understanding, stock type R LSD only cost bout 300.....
Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboy515 View Post
damn the ones i found are around $350?? or am i looking for the wrong stuff? to my understanding, stock type R LSD only cost bout 300.....
stock type r is for b-series... sooo.... why even bring it up? lol. if your going to roll the dice on the ebay obx lsd's hope you can get one thats not all fucked up on the runout.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

alright found a spare dx tranny(122k) for $50 bucks!! guy had rod knocking so he selling me the trans, should be delivered to me by weekend! gonna order a new clutch too, and might well do flywheel resurface, rear main bearing, and drop oil pan to get it tapped and new gasket while im at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in