Honda D Series Forum banner

How to take the roll pin for the shift linkage?

2K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  scottdh20 
#1 ·
This is a pain in the ass! Anyone know how to get it out? Finishing up my auto to manual swap and this is the only thing i cant get finished. 8mm punch isnt working even with a sledge hammer.

#4 ·
fuck the bitch pin...just saying...carry on

#6 ·
:werd: hit it like a man

#10 ·
I use a 8mm bolt with the threads ground off, works like a charm. I also would suggest if your having a problem to buy a replacement instead of reusing the "problem" one. Coat the new one with anti-size before installing.

#21 ·
x10000

some of those are in fact a BITCH! Sometimes on jack stands you just can't get a hard enough swing. Run to Autozone/Discount and rent one. Hell buy the cheapo one they are like like 25 bucks. Rat-tat-tat and boom its out.

#15 ·
if the punch fits inside the hole it just wedges the b-pin in there.

use a punch that wont fit inside the b-pin and hammer that fucker from the bottom upwards.

either that, or just drop the linkage from the car and take it out with the tranny...

you can also use a 8mm allen key if you want.

i use an 8mm allen and some extensions and do it from the top when i feel lazy :D

#27 ·
total cost is just about $10.00-$15.00

1 can pb blaster 2.99-3.99
harbor freight punch set - 8.00 to $12.00 ish somewhere in there

pull the trans with the linkage...

once you have it laying in front of you your job just got 1000x easier

spray the shit out of it with pb.....wait 5 min....reapeat....wait 5 min repeat...

then grab the punch that is a bit bigger than the pin and hole, hammer till it starts to move....mine took 5 or 6 full swing man hits before it moved.......once it moved it came out peacfully with the proper size punch....i also supported the tranny and linkages on some 2x4 to support it and stop the hole thing from moving around.

i have attemped this befor while it was in the car. trying to do a clutch change. me and my buddies all spent like 4 hours or so trying different thing to get it to work.......only took like 2 1/2 to 3 hours to drop the tranny put in a new clutch and get it all bolted back up with the linkage attatched......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.