Big let down!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Big let down!!

ok so i just build a fresh jdm d15bvtec, high compression, eagle rods, stage 2 cams and put my time into this one, anyway i broke it in just running it for a few hours yesterday and it runs great. got a mild tune on it just timing and gaping the plugs, just enough till i get to drive it. so finally after all this work i get to drive it. it gets out of the driveway fine but when i start to accelerate it makes a horrible clicking noise like the axles are broken but way louder. the thing is the are new axles. this noise only happens when i accelerate i only got it into second because i just went straight back home but it does it in first and second don't know about the other gears but by the way it sounded it would probably happen in any gear. the clutch is brand new as well. but i was wondering if it was chattering or slipping would it make a noise like that.

symptoms: rapid (loud) clicking like an axle is broken but axles are new. only on acceleration.

anyone ever have this problem or something like it. any help is good help.

thanks guys,
mschoaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

loose clutch bolt or flywheel bolt maybe

gonna have to take out the trans to see for sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

yeah i was going to drop my tanny today so i could see if it is that, i was actually hoping that's all that it is. but any ideas are great so keep them coming so i check all possibilities

Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

did the noise continue when you hit the clutch to shift? was it a really frequent noise? like multiple times a second? or like once every tire rotation? just trying to sort things out let us know what the tranny looks like

Build thread and FS Thread soon to come

Should you buy a kit or piece one together???--->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98dxNooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

the noise goes away every time i take my foot off the gas so yeah i guess it stops when my foot is on the clutch.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

and it is frequent i am like 90% sure its not my axles but i don't know i have never had a clutch chatter or slip so i wasn't sure it it was that.

Last edited by mschoaff; 06-16-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gus
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Gus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like Borat

So it goes away when the trans is disengaged? Do you push the clutch in when you take your foot off the gas pedal?
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

only when coming to a stop like i said my drive was really short i got into second then coasted into back into my driveway
Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna

if it stops when your off the gas then it for sure isn't your axels
are you sure your engine was properly put together? Does the noise go away after a certain rpm? or sound like its coming from a certain place? i dont wanna be the bearer of bad news buuuuuttt rod knock might be a possibility

Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gus
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Gus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like Borat

So no noise when the car is stopped/engine running?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gus
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98dxNooby View Post
if it stops when your off the gas then it for sure isn't your axels
Wrong
Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

no it runs smooth and fine at idle or stopped. if i had to say i think its coning from the clutch but its hard to tell when im in the car.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Wrong
Well It isn't the classic clicking axels that I hear about all the time atleast, what else could it be on the axels? unless the spindles were set wrong or something...I figured anything like that would make a noise during acceleration or deceleration

Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Does it change with steering.

Does it feel clicky if you jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand.

Does the clutch pedal feel normal

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Are the wheel nuts and stub axle nuts done up real tight.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

it kinda sounds to high and tingy to be rod knock. and wouldn't rod knock be constant. not just accelerating?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I gotta think that its something with your clutch..
You used an alignment tool right? What brand of clutch?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

yes my axle nuts and everything is good and tight. no it does not change with steering. no nothing feels weird when i jack the car up.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoaff View Post
it kinda sounds to high and tingy to be rod knock. and wouldn't rod knock be constant. not just accelerating?
Yeah it most likely would be constant, mine was atleast...
did you have anything re-balanced? Like crank or a pulley or somethin? Or are you running aftermarket pulleys?

If its something thats unbalanced then it will most likely get worse the higher you go rpm wise, but it could be unnoticeable at idle

Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

yes i used and alignment tool and its a clutch masters clutch with a fully stainless clutch line to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in