Help Tranny Axle play? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA
Default Help Tranny Axle play?

So I have a vtranny oil leak.

I suspect its coming from where the axle connects to the tranny because there is oil around that area and when I put my finger closer to the hole its oily.

My question is: should the passanger side axle have play?

Also I notice when looking there is a pretty big gap between the axle and the tranny. I cant recall the gap being this big before.. The axle is in all the way. I pushed it in via the hub and heard it pop in. But I can wiggle it a little..

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

I'm sorta in the same boat. It's not a bad leak... but after a while it kinda runs down the casing. I'm in for ideas.

Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky

looking at the manual it looks to be either the oil seal or snap ring out of spec.

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Had the same problem with mine when i did the tranny swap. Turns out the first time somehow my tranny seal/axle seal got cocked sideways and wasn't making a good seal so i just bought a new one ($7) and replaced it.. Last time i checked it should only be about a 16th of an inch of play. MAYBE an 1/8th

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well there seems to be a big gap from the tranny case and the axle.

Like.. I can see part of the axle that goes into the tranny (if that makes sense)

Could it be cause I'm using SI axles and a DX tranny? Possibly? I think all the axles are the same though

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 leemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcano
leemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

sounds like axle seal to me had that problem in old tranny switchd seal out n was all good...as far si n dx axles they should b the same....
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

sounds like axle seal. all the axles from 92-00 are the same length

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

same axles.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
sounds like axle seal. all the axles from 92-00 are the same length
5g and 6g axles are slightly different length.

Build what you have!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
5g and 6g axles are slightly different length.
thats odd as I have used them between both generations without a single issue whatsoever countless times.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
thats odd as I have used them between both generations without a single issue whatsoever countless times.
who said the length difference caused problems?
I simply said the difference exists

Build what you have!

Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ah ok.
And to change the axle seal I dont have to take the tranny out do I?

I can just pop it out from the tranny case and push the new one in right? (Being lazy)

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

nope.

hardest part will be popping the balljoint out, and undoing the axle nut.

you gotta remove the wheel and pop the joint so you can remove the axle. there isnt aenough play to just turn the wheels and pop the axle.

itb should take an hour or so if everything goes butter smooth.

set aside a couple more hours if you dont have the proper tools or know-how.

hondas usually have a deathgrip on both (balljoints and axlenuts)

Build what you have!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
nope.

hardest part will be popping the balljoint out, and undoing the axle nut.

you gotta remove the wheel and pop the joint so you can remove the axle. there isnt aenough play to just turn the wheels and pop the axle.

itb should take an hour or so if everything goes butter smooth.

set aside a couple more hours if you dont have the proper tools or know-how.

hondas usually have a deathgrip on both (balljoints and axlenuts)
not really,don't pop the lower ball joint just the top which is much easier.
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well I pulled the axle out last night so I just have to wait to get the seal

It'll probably take a while cause Im low on funds atm. But I'll keep this thread updated as I get the problem fixed!

Thanks guys

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosA View Post
Well I pulled the axle out last night so I just have to wait to get the seal

It'll probably take a while cause Im low on funds atm. But I'll keep this thread updated as I get the problem fixed!

Thanks guys
The seal should be lik $7 lol. If you don't have one by saturday i'll drop one by when i get in your area lol

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
The seal should be lik $7 lol. If you don't have one by saturday i'll drop one by when i get in your area lol
New?

Ill trade ya for the wastegate banjo

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Quote:
New?

Ill trade ya for the wastegate banjo
DUH! lol, naw i'm gonna pull one off my old tranny .

For sure, i'll pick one up on my way to the bay and shoot you a call when i'm down there

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
DUH! lol, naw i'm gonna pull one off my old tranny .

For sure, i'll pick one up on my way to the bay and shoot you a call when i'm down there
SWEET!

That'd be awesome! Cause then I could slap that bish in and not have to fill the tranny after every drive >.<

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Quote:
SWEET!

That'd be awesome! Cause then I could slap that bish in and not have to fill the tranny after every drive >.<
Most definately

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in