How bad is gear oil on Honda Transmission's? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA
Question How bad is gear oil on Honda Transmission's?

Last year, in a rush for IA, I went to Lube Stop and got a Tranny drain 'n fill. I'm in the process of pulling the motor for a swap. When I pulled the driver axle out I thought it smelled like gear oil, so I went into the shed to smell my Fathers gear oil. Yep they smell the same. My paper work says Honda MTF, but I know better then that to think they use OEM fluids. I just assumed they used 10w30. I have put about 15k miles on it since then and hadn't had a problem(knocking on wood). I'll be draining it and flushing the case out but what kind of damage could I be looking at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

You should be looking at the lube stop to pay for a new transmission if the paperwork specifies Honda MTF. Bone should chime in here soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
You should be looking at the lube stop to pay for a new transmission if the paperwork specifies Honda MTF. Bone should chime in here soon.
This.

When you drain it you should know immediately if it's gear oil or not, that shit is buttery thick.

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

time to go back to that shop and start cursing a manager out!
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 sohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sohc-it07

Yeah I know what ever needs to be replace, wouldn't be coming out of my walet.
Hopefuly they take care of you.

I'm in for this one. GL

<-UPDATED 9-10-2011

<-UPDATE 9-22-2011

[email protected] on worn street tires & no seat time
& still getting 30mpg
sohc-it07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 19 punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!
punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to punkbomb138 Send a message via Yahoo to punkbomb138

im running gear lube in mine no problems so far. the old tranny that was in it was running the same no problems with it either.

punkbomb138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

You start really having issues is under high load high stress situations because the oil is so thick that it can fit in all those tiny places that it needs to. What where you doing with the car? DD track weekend fun does it grind any I say pull the case and take a look for your self.

I have been doing alot of reading up on the effects on different trans oils pretty interesting stuff to be honest.

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted-EH-804 View Post
You start really having issues is under high load high stress situations because the oil is so thick that it can fit in all those tiny places that it needs to. What where you doing with the car? DD track weekend fun does it grind any I say pull the case and take a look for your self.

I have been doing alot of reading up on the effects on different trans oils pretty interesting stuff to be honest.
I just drive, I don't do anything crazy high speed or high load. For the most part I drive like my Grandma is in the car.

I have had no problems(knocking on wood) for 15k miles but I won't be using Lube Stop no more in a pinch if it is in fact gear lube. I know Honda's have plastic bearing cases and some oils(Redline) can attack the plastic. I normally do all the work on my cars but it was a last minute thing so I decided to pay them to do it($15 w/discount and done in 15mins).

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...

Last edited by HondaDNA; 06-12-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The guy doesn't have a problem with it, just wants to know how bad it is for the tranny.

Edit: OP beat me to it lol

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
The guy doesn't have a problem with it, just wants to know how bad it is for the tranny.

Edit: OP beat me to it lol

I got that he does not have an issue now......But if he really wants to know if there is a lurking problem might want to take a look for himself.......People have used the stuff and there is lots of misinformation flying round so if you flushed it and put some fresh MTF in there drive that hoe see what happens report back you never know who you might help in the long run. I think that fact that he does not do any hard diving is why he might not be having any issues.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted-EH-804 View Post
I got that he does not have an issue now......But if he really wants to know if there is a lurking problem might want to take a look for himself.......People have used the stuff and there is lots of misinformation flying round so if you flushed it and put some fresh MTF in there drive that hoe see what happens report back you never know who you might help in the long run. I think that fact that he does not do any hard diving is why he might not be having any issues.
very good point .

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Its way too thick, 85/90 is really really thick even when warm. especially when there should at max be only 50weight in there.

Your starving bearings for oil and causing heat as a by-product. allthough your gears are enjoying the high shear strength of the oil.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
Its way too thick, 85/90 is really really thick even when warm. especially when there should at max be only 50weight in there.

Your starving bearings for oil and causing heat as a by-product. allthough your gears are enjoying the high shear strength of the oil.
Exactly but yet he has no issues yet. Im curious to what happens once said oil is changed

Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I have no endurance data on a Honda tranny run with heavy gear oil but my understanding is that the move to lighter oils was to improve shifting andto save fuel and increase effective power to the wheel.

I doubt that gear oil is going to do serious damage.

I would think it might take a bit longer to fully circulate and the extra drag on the gears will increase wear on the syncros.

I would just drain it and replace it with the correct oil.

I would not flush it as I expect the flushing fluid is more detrimental than a bit of gear oil.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

True gear oil = DEATH to SOHC tranny.

If they used Synchromesh fluid which does smell like gear oil, you'll be fine.

Open pan of Synchromesh in the garage = WHOLE house smells like gear oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well I drained the trans today and it came out real quick, more like oil. With it out I could play with it between my fingers and it isn't as thick as gear oil. I ran a magnet through it and didn't recover any shavings. I also put a coffee filter in my funnel and poured the oil through it, nothing. I think it's Synchromesh, I don't have any to compare it to but will pick up some to.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

How well can you strain that oil????

If it is synchromesh, in a bind you can strain it and reuse it....I have.

Synchromesh is $7 a quart, plain old 10w30 is $2 a quart.....if no LSD, I go cheap!!!!!

OLD Honda MTF STUNK!!!!! MAYBE the lube shop had old stock??? New MTF is runny like water, don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
How well can you strain that oil????

If it is synchromesh, in a bind you can strain it and reuse it....I have.

Synchromesh is $7 a quart, plain old 10w30 is $2 a quart.....if no LSD, I go cheap!!!!!

OLD Honda MTF STUNK!!!!! MAYBE the lube shop had old stock??? New MTF is runny like water, don't use it.
Damn already poured it into an old oil container. I don't have LSD so I'll just be getting some 10w30..

Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Supertech 10w30 9 bcks for a jug that does 2 full fluid changes

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Supertech is fine for the trans but I wouldnt use it in any engine of mine.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in