D16z6 - 400whp - Tranny / Axel Advice / LSD - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 Lyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Lyle_57IAL
Default D16z6 - 400whp - Tranny / Axel Advice / LSD

Hey guys,

After some advice before i start making decisions in the future. I own a D16z6 in a 92 - 95 Civic hatch. Currently in the build stage and will be going for 400whp. I am at the point where i have to make some decisions in regards to my transmission / axels so i hopefully will not be constantly breaking/replaceing parts.

Firstly what would be the best base manual Transmission for the D16z6 ? Any manufactures out there that make Strait cut gears for the d16z6 tranny? if so would they be necessary. What are some good things to have done to ensure your tranny can handel the most power and last a long time ?

Firstly what LSD would be best for my needs. The reading i have been doing is the Mfactory Helical seems to be popular? but is there anything else (expect the OBX) that is strong & reliable ? Generally what is more desirable Clutch or Helical LSD?
MFactory Competition Products - Forged Transmission Components

What will be my best option with driveshafts? I have blown up countless OEM shafts and really need to get a product 'Fit for purpose'. The 2.9 stage drive shaft shop axels for the D16 look good on paper, but is there anything better / stronger on the market? or is this the best / best value
THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP

With the products above are there any hidden problems / catches when dealing with the suppliers etc

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Lyle_57IAL; 06-11-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Lyle_57IAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

you want helical LSD's.

Quaife and mFactory are the best. i use mfactory in mine, with over 75 passes on it, i am not worried about it

as for gears, just use stock they are fine for your power level. (not to mention we dont have other options) at this point your only option would be to go B series transmission, and dole out the cash for some aftermarket gears, which mfactory make as well. expect to pay a minumum of $7000 for your transmission at this point (more than my entire 10 second build cost me)

as for axles, i prefer my axles to be my weak point. if something is going to break, id perfer it be a part that cost me $45 and i can swap out in 15 minutes.

hope that helps you.

also, FYI, i only broke 1 axle all year last year, because i was trying to show off for a camera and did my burnout for what felt like hours... lol just too much tire bite. shattered the inner CV cage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 Lyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like Borat

I can see what your saying. Generally speaking what is the next weakest link to go after shafts? I will be running a ACT ho23x clutch and Fidanza light Fly wheel. Im hopeing that the weakest link would simply be the tyres, but when i run slicks... i can see what your saying that, i would rather blow a drive shaft the rip first gear apart...

Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

the price of the d2b is rather cheap considering the time and money it will save you in the long run. Even if its a ls still better gearing than the ex/si you can buy the b lsd and not buy both th d and the b when you decide to upgrade........ And I'm working on an even easier way to do the conversion with basically no fab work.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 sohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eaglesohc-it07 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sohc-it07

i think D2B is for a track car. if your going to get serious into drag racing then its something to consider.

all i did was replace the gears that were chewed up from the previous owner. then threw in a Mfactory lsd. well worth the money.
thats your best thing to do and like danz said axles are cheap and easy to replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<-UPDATED 9-10-2011

<-UPDATE 9-22-2011

[email protected] on worn street tires & no seat time
& still getting 30mpg

Last edited by sohc-it07; 06-11-2010 at 03:22 PM.
sohc-it07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

stock axles should be more than fine and mfctory lsd ftw affordable and durable can't beat that one bit

Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Is there a D2B conversion kit on the market? or all custom fabrication ? How much will one of these conversions set someone back? are there any sucessful writeups online about people who have done it?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
one grumpy old man

Rep Power: 19 Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!
Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

boosted-eh has a B in his engine bay. right now, there is some custom work involved. hopefully soon there will be kits available

you could also grab the evolution d2b adapter plate.

FARMYARD
10.677 @ 136.54 vitara z6/y8 2013
10.967 @ 129.57 vitara z6/y8 2012
10.437 @ 133.72 vitara a6/y8 2011
10.583 @ 137.00 vitara a6/y8 2010
Darin T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_57IAL View Post
Is there a D2B conversion kit on the market? or all custom fabrication ? How much will one of these conversions set someone back? are there any sucessful writeups online about people who have done it?
Yes me its in the DIY section you will have to wade through some chit chat but the steps I took are there and Comp offers the flywheel I can find you the P/N if you are really interested. Hit up speedfactory his sn on here is JFK78 they can get the rest sorted out....

Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I would like to know the advantage of a Bseries Tranny. Obviously the physically thicker gears is an advantage however i dont think the shorter ratios is benefitical in a high power application... IMO you would want longer gears to be in the high power band longer etc
Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_57IAL View Post
I would like to know the advantage of a Bseries Tranny. Obviously the physically thicker gears is an advantage however i dont think the shorter ratios is benefitical in a high power application... IMO you would want longer gears to be in the high power band longer etc
Not drag racing on top of all the aftermarket support which is basically not much for the D. Stock B trans will hold up pretty well to what the average person can throw at it with a D. There will be a few of us that will be giving the stock trans hell but like I said a few.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

For my 400whp setup I went with a Quaife LSD and Autozone reman axles with a lifetime warranty. If I ever break one, free replacement! Stock Z6 gearing with a stock 4.25 FD.

The reason you are breaking axles is because of your driving/launching styles...read up on "pre-loading" and that'll help you a ton!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Are these price accurate or rich

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=104: $773.99
http://www.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd: $568.54
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

drive shaft shop link doesnt work

price for LSD seems good.

waste of money to go for those axles. u could buy 15 sets of regular axles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 MFactory is starting to learn the ropesMFactory is starting to learn the ropesMFactory is starting to learn the ropesMFactory is starting to learn the ropesMFactory is starting to learn the ropesMFactory is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MFactory Send a message via MSN to MFactory Send a message via Skype™ to MFactory

Where did you find the LSD for $568.54 if you don't mind me asking?
MFactory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory View Post
Where did you find the LSD for $568.54 if you don't mind me asking?
The link never work, but since he is from Australia, maybe the conversion rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 kevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to allkevo1586 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post

as for gears, just use stock they are fine for your power level. (not to mention we dont have other options)
what about the M-factory final drives and close ratio sets?

Disregard Females, Acquire Currency

Quote:
side to side play should be less then 1"
Quote:
only if she is under 30 years old......

wait.........nevermind!
kevo1586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in