HARD down shifts "thud" - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default HARD down shifts "thud"

I have a CTR tranny in my ek coupe. I installed the tranny maybe 5000 miles ago and its been great until recently. Now when normal everyday driving (not agressive) like slowing to turn while downshifting its like i just dump the clutch no matter how easy i let out on the clutch. The only way around it is by rev matching on the downshift. Also I have a deep rattling sound at idle that will go away when I push in the clutch.... I'm assuming its the throw out bearing. Like a fool, I reused the old one. it only had ~5000 miles on it as well. Could it also be "hanging" or binding on the input shaft and causing the sudden engagement of the clutch? Or is this a sign of a deeper issue?
13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

complete stab in the dark,,, but check the rear engine mount, grab the engine n give it a good rockin back n forth, see it if moves, (from front of car to back)

was drivin an ctr a while ago, n on every downshift the engine would knock against the mount unless i revmatched,

Last edited by jj05y; 06-11-2010 at 08:29 AM.
jj05y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Could be, but I think if the mounts where that bad i'd be feeling the shifter moving. I'll check it though.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Worn bearings, ISB and other(s) the "clunk" is your input and counter shafts trying to "run away from eachother" under load. Tear down and inspect, then replace.

Wait for bone's confirmation of course
You guys should all just get Miatas.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.
tronsteezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

i would suspect the rear mount, because with a B you lose the front two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ISB and shitty EK mounts...........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
ISB and shitty EK mounts...........
I'm gonna start searching now on the ins and outs of replacing the isb. Any links or advise would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first transmission adventure.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

its simple but easy to fuck up if you are new.

just mark the upward face of everything so you dont put it in upside down.

dont force anything

keep a how-to open on your screen. haha
Quote:
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I have to rev-match when downshifting on my Comp STG V clutch...otherwise I get a good amount of chatter. But I don't get any odd noises like you do. I would also suggest looking over your motor mounts.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I filled the oem mounts with window weld when I put the ctr tranny in. I've been driving the car for a couple months now with no problems. Its just started all of the sudden. I looked at the sticky about replacing the isb..... I'm nervous lol. What else do I need to look for while this thing is apart? What would be involved if I wanted to swap in a ls 5th gear while its apart?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

replace the ISB seal as well

and any other parts that show excessive wear.

its usually a good idea to disassemble the shafts and clear them out with compressed air and brake clean. or any other way you can manage to get the debris out.
Quote:
Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Back from the dead.... Anybody have the ISB P/N for a ctr tranny? Searching now but all I'm finding is d-series.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Same as any other hydro B trans.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself with a Helms I'm not far from KY.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in