D-series Axles Swapability - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 funkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default D-series Axles Swapability

I feel like a total noob in asking this but searching has provided mixed answers, and some confusion. So hopefully we can get this cleared up for the last time.....well hopefully lol. Im sure it will come up again soon.

I read the statement that all D axles are the same from 88-00 EXCEPT for the hf/std axles which have different hubs, but some of my confusion comes in the specific application of the axles in regards to different chassis, motor and tranny combinations (well my combo at least ).

I did come across in my search a hilarious thread with Cleft_Asunder. I lol'd at the drama.

Anyways heres my car:

90 Si with a Z6 and a cable tranny - from what I gather I should just use my ED axles with it, which is what I believe I have done this whole time, but will 92-00 axles fit as well with a cable tranny?

I ask because I can get a pair of used 97 CX axles for like $50.

Also from researching that if I convert and use a 92-95 hydro tranny in my ED, that I can ONLY use 92-95 axles (or possibly up to 00??), because one of the axles is longer. Therefore, I cannot use my ED axles in this case. Is that right?

So if one of the axles is longer in EG/EK's because of the tranny, then how can all d axles be the same?

Have I been mislead with something that I've read? They logically clash, so Im confused!

Any help is appreciated on this age old and likely annoying question from my D family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by funkified; 06-05-2010 at 10:19 AM.
funkified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Don't quote me but I think 90-00 are all the same. All you need is to know how many spline you are. IF it's 21 spline then I think any 90-00 will work.

But as I said. Don't quote me I'm not sure

"A turbocharger...exhaust gasses go in and spin the turbine, witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson
Powered by
&
NightCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

D axles are not all the same.

88-91 are different lengths than 92-00........

92-95 Left = 773mm-778mm
92-95 Right = 500mm-505mm

88-91 Left = 775mm-780mm
88-91 Right = 483mm-487mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 funkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
D axles are not all the same.

88-91 are different lengths than 92-00........

92-95 Left = 773mm-778mm
92-95 Right = 500mm-505mm

88-91 Left = 775mm-780mm
88-91 Right = 483mm-487mm
so i guess this answers my questions regarding the z6/tranny/88-91 chassis combo.

If using cable tranny use 88-91 axles.
If using hydro tranny use 92-00 axles.

Last edited by funkified; 06-07-2010 at 06:40 AM.
funkified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I want to say it depends on Chassis not trannies! but that's just my thoughts...
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Bone would you be so kind as to post up spline count both shaft and hub? I would sticky this as I have ran into this question 100 times. Search function blows when it comes to abbreviated words.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkified View Post
so i guess this answers my questions regarding the z6/tranny/88-91 chassis combo.

If using cable tranny use 88-91 axles.
If using hydro tranny use 92-00 axles.
Go-Autoworks he has a hydro tranny in his ED. he can tell you. and let us know what he says!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
Bone would you be so kind as to post up spline count both shaft and hub? I would sticky this as I have ran into this question 100 times. Search function blows when it comes to abbreviated words.
88-91 CRX HF/Civic STD have the smaller outer joints.

IIRC "normal" = 26 spline where as the tiny STD/HF axles are 23 spline.

ALSO IIRC the smaller axles use a 30mm axle nut instead of the typical 32mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

No matter what your prison bitches say, you're still the man Bone.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
ALSO IIRC the smaller axles use a 30mm axle nut instead of the typical 32mm.
Either I wasn't paying attention (definitely possible ), or the smaller axles still use a 32mm nut. (I definitely used a 32mm socket on my HF, which definitely had the original smaller axles.)

bopApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Someone wanna add 96-00 axle info here?

I know they are a different length from 88-91 and 92-95, but Im not sure iof they are shorter or longer.

Id guess, but I dont want someone reading this thread quick and possibly seeing my incorrect answer

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 bigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

are 89-91 ef auto and manual axles the same?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigluelok View Post
are 89-91 ef auto and manual axles the same?
i used auto axles in mine after i did an auto to manual swap but one of the boots ripped right after. put a manual axle in and it was fine. IIRC it was the long axle that ripped a boot right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

I know they are a different length from 88-91 and 92-95, but Im not sure iof they are shorter or longer.

Id guess, but I dont want someone reading this thread quick and possibly seeing my incorrect answer
+1

I have life-time Autozone axles for a '96 DX Civic. They are installed on my '94 EX coupe with ABS, which has never worked. They are working fine from what I can tell, I went through a set already but I think that was due to an improperly staked/torqued hub nut.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 bigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
i used auto axles in mine after i did an auto to manual swap but one of the boots ripped right after. put a manual axle in and it was fine. IIRC it was the long axle that ripped a boot right away.
thanks for the response rep for you
Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 rider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Maybe a little late, but if you put a hydro tranny in a EF you use the axles that would go with the tranny. The axle input on the 92-00 trannys sit 1 inch closer to the center of the vehicle. So the axles are one inch longer and shorter to make up for it. I have a 95 EX tranny in my 91 CRX using the hasport conversions kit.

Old -
rider5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

have a z6/s20 hydro combo going into a 91 hatch. which axles do I use? I have the stock z6 axles off a 94 ex will these work in an ef body?
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Look at transzex's post way above.

the driver side axle is nearly the same, but the passenger side, the Z6 axle is about a centimeter longer.

Might work if the car is at stock ride height. if you lower it, I do recommend the proper axles, as the tranny will be closer to teh hub level, making the longer passenger axle an issue. POSSIBLY.

I havent really tried doing eg axles into an ED (88-91)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

I have a 98 ex driver side axle, and a 91 civic si pass. side axle.

Trans is a 90-91 civic si 5 spd.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

I used a 32mm on my 91 civic std too..
rotciv005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in