y8 tranny replacment - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default y8 tranny replacment

i bought my coupe a month or so ago. and 2nd was here and there. well, i just put es bushings on, threw the ebay shifter out and put a b&m dual bend on. 2nd worked for a little then went back to randomly working. i have come to the conclusion that its a bent fork. i have found a y8 tranny local for 300 with a 30day warranty Parting out 98 civic ex 5sp , and also found another guy with a y8 swap for 550 Civic D16Y8 motor and trans~~44k miles!!!!!!!!!!!. does 300 sound like normal price? and i have a xtd stage one clutch and 8lb fly brand new sitting in the box from a few years back. would it be worth installing the fly when i swap the tranny? ive read good and bad about that light of a fly. its basically a bolt on y8 with a skunk2 intake mani
sloenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 repusnam55 is learning the way of the Drepusnam55 is learning the way of the D

id just buy a rebuilt one from aquafina then you know your good costs a little more i think but gives peace of mind

91 crx, Vitaras, a6/y8,16g.
repusnam55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Not a bent fork, more likely CSB walkout.

Describe your second gear issue.......

I'm near Fairfield.

$300 is a fair price esp. if it only has 44k miles on it. Normal yard price is $400, mine normally go for about $250.

IMHO in a heavy 96-00 the 8 lb flywheel is too light, but that is me. I have one in a 1800 lb CRX.

PS: That seller Dave, keeps popping up, the number traces back to Dylan Rouse, a MX rider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

since i put the b&m on and new bushings. about 75% of the time i can down shift from 3rd to 2nd if i muscle it in. but going from 1st to 2nd it feels like its engages and pops in but as soon as you release the pedal you hear a awful grinding. but all the other gears seem fine. have an issue with 1st every now and then, sometimes hard to get it in. but no grinds on 1st. do you have any y8 or z6 trannys right now? im about 25 minutes or so from you. over in dent
Old 05-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Right now I have nothing and won't for some time as I brought a parts car home from storage today.

Classic symptoms of CSB walkout.

DO NOT muscle into second, matter of fact don't even use second gear. If you had 88-95 shift forks you would have ruined them by now. I ruined a new one in 10 miles once.

You are closer that 25 miles, I'm south of Fairfield (barely) in Colerain TWP. 12 miles to Rybolt exit.

Your tranny is an easy fix, getting it down and out is the toughest part. I also suggest ISB and seals while it is apart, I charge $120 parts and labor to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

yea im about 10 minutes from colerain. over there all the time. parents live right next to colerain high. what exactly is csb walkout? and how long would it take you to do it? i would rather a professional do it then me screw something like that up thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

It would take me about 2 hours once tranny is on my workbench assuming nothing is FUBARED inside.

CSB walkout and fixing it.....

tapped back into place

staked in to prevent it again

I, along with Aquafina do this to EVERY D series tranny we work on. When the CSB walks out, it forces the countershaft outward so you are chasing second gear. Also 96-00 are known for weak motor mounts, might wanna check them as well.

Parts are about $60, labor is $60, I don't have access to clean the outer part of the case, wish I did.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 WangLung will become famous soon enoughWangLung will become famous soon enoughWangLung will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

lol, any tips on removing one of those without completely destroying it?

The_Acid_Beaver on electrical work.
WangLung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

$125 Snap On puller

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in