Is a lightweight flywheel nessassary - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 andrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default Is a lightweight flywheel nessassary

for an after market clutch such as stage 3 or 4 i know on there websites they always say to use with lightweight flywheel but why
andrewknoll523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

i dont like lightweight flywheels, love the stock ones. but other people like the rpm's to go quick for quick shifting.
Quote:
I want your whale penis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Because they want you to buy their flywheels.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

If you want good gas mileage i hear heavier is better (more inertia cuz of more mass). I like the lightweight ones for performance, quicker revs, less rotating mass, feels like its accelerating faster cuz it revs quicker. Our D's are stroker motors in a way so id imagine the heavier flywheel is a better combo to help torque. But on a B series engine id want a light flywheel cuz it'd help in the high revs where its meant to make power spinning its azz off.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

For gas mileage I don't see how heavier would help. The CXs have lighter flywheels; about 3lbs lighter, than the other D-series(not sure about the VX though). A heavier flywheel would soak up more energy to spin at the same rpm as a lighter flywheel.

From my experience, the benefits of a heavier flywheel is driveability and launching.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

Stock flywheel will help with mpg cuz it stores more momentum at cruising speed. So at steady speeds you'd save more gas.

And you'd probably see better mpg with a lightweight flywheel where you do lots of stop and go driving.

A lightweight one is more fun. On a D engine id just get one thats not super light. Somewhere around 8.5-11 lbs
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty d View Post
Stock flywheel will help with mpg cuz it stores more momentum at cruising speed. So at steady speeds you'd save more gas.
Where does that momentum come from? Hint: the gas.

Read My Stuff:

ddd4114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

If you're cruising, momentum and energy to store that momentum still comes from "the gas". An instance where a heavy flywheel would help would be in maintaining a set cruise speed; like driving through slightly hilly areas.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 35 Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

I'd go with a D15B8 (92-95 CX) flywheel if I had to do it over again. It's really light for OEM.

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

it is all application dependent, I've always said that.

I've have/had flywheels from 8lbs to 18 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 andrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Borat

Well I have a clutch masterr lf n my car but on my buddies vitura build we wanted a bigger clutch and all sites tel u to use with lf and I didn't know if it was needed but thanks guys for the help
Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewknoll523 View Post
Well I have a clutch masterr lf n my car but on my buddies vitura build we wanted a bigger clutch and all sites tel u to use with lf and I didn't know if it was needed but thanks guys for the help
translator please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2e2vin View Post
From my experience, the benefits of a heavier flywheel is driveability and launching.
this...
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Sory I'm n tractor and on blackbery I wil fix it after work mr. Bone
Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 24 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mightyjoecivic

hell, i got a 6.7Lb. flywheel now. I have zero problems with launching, driveability or mpg's...weird? And i have had the same clutch with this flywheel for the better part of 4+ years now. Still holds strong.

Its all on what the car will be built for, whether its a n/a build or turbo, auto-x or drag or even a DD.

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 jollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

well ive drivin my stock 18lb flywheel on my 95 civic and then drivin an 89 si crx with a 7lb fidanza. both grabbed really well for me. of course the 7lb was on a built motor with a stage 3 6puck sprung clutch and so it grabbed like crazy but either way i would say buy a light OEM flywheel like the z1 which is 13lbs. right in the middle, so it would more than likely be very versatile and be good with any kind of build, NA, boosted etc etc.

also, i wouldnt get an aluminum one, fuck that. high heat + aluminum = warpage! STEEL FTW

MR 95 ex coupe- CAF!-R.I.P. put into a wall by work..

MR 94 ex coupe- from the effing canigits eh?

Quote:
I'd fuck that like she was the economy and I was obama!
Quote:
Grab her by the throat and fuck that bitch silly. If she tries to fight just whisper in her ear "don't turn this rape into a murder"

Last edited by jollyroger494; 05-28-2010 at 07:47 AM.
jollyroger494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I have a 7lb flywheel too(I'm actually looking into purchasing a twin-disc clutch that should help reduce rotational inertia also)! I can tell you, it's not as forgiving as a 18lb flywheel. My brother can drive it just fine, but the room for error is much less(much easier to bog), and it's harder to start as smooth as a heavier flywheel setup. Though, when I had a 7lb flywheel on my Accord...it didn't make much of a difference.

As for launching, this has been discussed before so I won't go into that.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 slusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagleslusherk is fly like an eagle

heavy flywheel=revs lil slower but more torque
lighter flywheel=revs quicker but less torque (not by too much tho)
slusherk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoecivic View Post
hell, i got a 6.7Lb. flywheel now. I have zero problems with launching, driveability or mpg's...weird? And i have had the same clutch with this flywheel for the better part of 4+ years now. Still holds strong.
This. I got used to my 11lb flywheel quick, don't even notice it anymore.

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Lighter flywheel = less rotating inertia
Which means that you will accelerate faster.

Lightening the driveline at any point (Flywheel, driveshaft, axles, wheels, etc.) has a much bigger improvement in the acceleration characteristics of the car than it would if you took that weight off of the chassis.

Its supposed to be roughly a simulated gain of 2 hp for every pound taken off of the driveline at engine speed (i.e. the flywheel, clutch, crankshaft, crank pulley) and a simulated gain of 0.5 hp per pound at axle speed (i.e. axles, wheels, tires, lug nuts).
As opposed to a simulated gain of 0.15 hp gained for every pound taken off the chassis.

That being said, there could be some situations where a heavier flywheel is needed, like in drag racing. Or possibly helping staying in boost while shifting with a really big turbo.
Im not a drag racer so I dont know.

But on a track car, the lighter the better.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in