Gear oil mistake quick/cheap fix!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Vantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default Gear oil mistake quick/cheap fix!!!

Ok fellas, i made the mistake, like many others do as well...i put gear oil in my trans the last time i changed it ...started having a lot of trouble changing gear and had grinds while changing (guessing its the synchro spinning when its not suppose to due to the gear oil being so thick)

So....i came up with a quick and cheap fix that WORKS! All you have to do is (of course) drain the gear oil....fill the trans with mineral spirits, diesel fuel, gasoline, etc. (any of the three will work) drive around the block...no further! drain the the trans again...of whatever you choose to use (i just used reg. gasoline) you will notice that its very dirty when you drain it this time. made me feel like it actually worked, lol. now, you just fill the trans with honda mtf, synchromesh or 10w-30 motor oil, whatever it is you choose. Problem Solved!!! very cheaply and quick! The trans shifts soo smooth now! no need to tear the trans apart and rebuild....unless your problems are far more then what mine were of course!
Vantec89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

the gasoline floating around in your mtf might not be great on the plastic bearing cages and seals... ill wait for bones to aprove or disprove this method

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

was no need to flush it with gas, just 2 quarts of 10w30 and repeat in 5 miles.

So you have 2 cycle gas for the chainsaw now????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

$1 bet he was smoking the whole time.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 s_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to alls_18 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to s_18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
the gasoline floating around in your mtf might not be great on the plastic bearing cages and seals... ill wait for bones to aprove or disprove this method
The gasoline should evaporate pretty quickly.

s_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I would never drive my car with petrol in the gear case.

At very worst I would jack the front wheels off the ground and run through the gears at idle then drain it and fill with the correct oil.

I think a cup full of gear oil in the trans fluid will do less harm than a cup full of petrol.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Vantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like Borat

Ok guys.....I did it and it worked. I wasn't stupid about either. I filled it with the gas and only drove arond the block......no smoking at all transzex. The drive around the block would be no differet then jacking it up and runnig through the gears, lol. When you drain the gas out you let the trans dry out for like an hour....the gas evaporates pretty quickly. I plan to change the oil again in about 500-1000 miles just in case there is any gas still in there. Worked amazingly for me.....just thought I'd share with my d-series brothers.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 Aeroflux is da #1 stunnaAeroflux is da #1 stunnaAeroflux is da #1 stunnaAeroflux is da #1 stunnaAeroflux is da #1 stunnaAeroflux is da #1 stunnaAeroflux is da #1 stunna

This would have been good to know years ago, when a Goodyear repair shop put gear oil in my tranny. Didn't even know until my gears started slipping/grinding.
Aeroflux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

Ummm

The load to move a car even slowly is a LOT more than to run with the wheels off the ground.

Around the block is a LOT longer than the 10 seconds it takes to run through the gears.

I am pleased you got away with it.

I strongly suspect you effectivly put a few thousand miles on it with that short trip.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

It won't hurt anything.....if the gears can't withstand some gas in there for a quick drive less then a mile.....I don't want them in my trans anyway, lol!!! Not to mention gasoline evaporates very quickly if you didn't know that....there's probably no gas left in the trans and it wasn't in there long enough to hurt anything. The gas may have been in my trans for a whole 5 minutes. Doing this is cheap and effective and no harm is done unless your a dumbass about it and drive with the gas in there all day. If you don't like the idea, then whatever....no need to flame up my thread.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

You call that a flame.

What you did is just plain stupid and dangerous and posting it here might encourage someone else to and they may not be so lucky.

Now that's a flame.

Fuel and air and heat can explode.

Turning under load on helical cut gears with no lubrication creates heat.

Petrol provides very little lubrication, especially if in vapour form.

How do the fuel vapours escape the box apart from a very small vent when the fuel does evaporate as you claim.

That vent is quite close to the exhaust and catalytic converter.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well, you can believe whatever you want to believe....I did this and it worked wonders for me. My trans feels better then it ever has....2nd-3rd grind is gone and I have no trouble getting into gears anymore. I'm pretty sure the gear oil being in there did more harm then the gas did. I'm not gonna sit and argue with you because you think I'm wrong and your right. I actually did this and had no troubles. That's that.

Edit: the evaporation I'm speaking of is when I drain it and have the drain and fill plugs off and just letting it sit for 30-60 minutes....there shouldn't be any fuel left in the trans at this point. As I said...to be safe I plan to change the oil again in the next 500-1000 miles.

Last edited by Vantec89; 05-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I have done this before in a Toyota when my buddy did the same thing, put heavy gear oil in a manual trans thats supposed to take a much lighter oil.

Except we used diesel, much less chance of combustion. It worked fine. Also just drove around his driveway a few times as he had a looping driveway that was a few hundred feet long.

Then refilled with cheap 10w30, drove for 500 miles then refilled with MTF. That car now is on its 4 clutch with over 400,000kms on it and has had no trans issues, did the diesel flush just after the second clutch at 210,000kms.
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

diesel I could see, but K1 works as well.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

I vouch for K1. I use it in my parts cleaner all the time when we run low on Agitene..

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

In all honesty you could have probibally just idled the car with the tranny a little overfilled with diesel/gasoline and it would have washed the walls just as well since all the speed gears are still spinning then just drained and refilled.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 jollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

well either way guys it worked he didnt hurt himself or anybody. DONE.

it was a decent write up but yes probably driving it around the block wasnt the safest, but anyways. /thread already.

MR 95 ex coupe- CAF!-R.I.P. put into a wall by work..

MR 94 ex coupe- from the effing canigits eh?

Quote:
I'd fuck that like she was the economy and I was obama!
Quote:
Grab her by the throat and fuck that bitch silly. If she tries to fight just whisper in her ear "don't turn this rape into a murder"
jollyroger494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Tell me it worked after the next 100,000 miles.........or it failed.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantec89 View Post
Ok guys.....I did it and it worked. I wasn't stupid about either. I filled it with the gas and only drove arond the block......no smoking at all transzex. The drive around the block would be no differet then jacking it up and runnig through the gears, lol. When you drain the gas out you let the trans dry out for like an hour....the gas evaporates pretty quickly. I plan to change the oil again in about 500-1000 miles just in case there is any gas still in there. Worked amazingly for me.....just thought I'd share with my d-series brothers.
I'm with you if you're using Mineral Spirits or Kerosene but Gas? I know you're only taking it around the block but metal on metal creates friction, which yields heat, which vaporizes gas, see where I'm going with this. Using gas is a bad idea.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in