CRX trans on D16Y7 issues - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default CRX trans on D16Y7 issues

So I thought I was close to solving the last issues with the D16Y7 swap in my CRX.. Oh boy was I dumb... So i had everything put back together but the clutch pedal just goes right to the floor and has zero resistance. I pulled the trans off but the throwout bearing seems to work fine. What I then discovered is the flywheel seems to sit closer to the block than when it was on the D16A6. The flywheel/clutch/PP is from the D16A6 since the PP doesn't bolt up to the D16Y7 flywheel. When I put the D16Y7 flywheel on the A6 block, it sits further out (half centimeter or so) than the A6 flywheel on the Y7 block. It seems this is why the throwout bearing doesn't contact the PP.

So now my question is wtf do I do about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

check out specs on google and shit
honda_zman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Odd...I had a Y7 in my 91 with A6 flywheel and clutch no problems.

Only thing I can think of is the 89 flywheels are different that 90-00. Maybe the 89 flywheels sit differently? But I doubt it.

Do you have any pictures?
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Might have to wait until tomorrow for pictures. I guess one way I could go is use a pressure plate from a d16y7 and then just use the d16y7 flywheel. I used the a6 flywheel since the PP doesn't fit it.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

so you didnt use teh crx plate/wheel setup?

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I used the CRX trans/clutch/flywheel/PP. The Y7 when I bought it was just the block and head (with flywheel but the CRX pressure plate doesn't bolt to it)
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

then you should have no trouble man, the crankshafts of the d15s and d16s all share boltpatterns and thread pitches. worst case, you might use different bolts for different lengths.

sounds like something jsut needs a little wd-40 and tlc to fit right lol

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Nono, the problem is the throwout bearing doesn't seem to reach the pressure plate... the flywheel sits closer to the block than it should be. Yeah the whole thing fit back together but it doesn't actually work.

I've pretty much decided to use the Y7 flywheel, gonna hunt down a pressure plate to match it.

edit: regarding the A6 PP not fitting the Y7 flywheel it isn't a matter of bolts not fitting, the bolt holes aren't even close to lining up
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

PIC TIME!!!

A6 flywheel on the Y7 block:

Y7 flywheel on the A6 block:

The reason why I can't use the A6 pressure plate on the Y7 flywheel:
Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Ok so I picked up a 1990 pressure plate which fits the Y7 flywheel. I noticed by the wear on the flywheel that a 1989 size clutch was used on this engine since the 1990 clutch I also got obviously is larger. I find that pretty weird since the engine was a 98... I may end up using my 89 clutch as it is newer than the spare 1990 one I picked up with the pressure plate.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

see my posts about 96-00 base models using 200mm discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

OK I need some advice here. I put the original Y7 flywheel back on, slapped on a 1990 pressure plate, and mounted the trans back to the engine. The result? Same problem. The throwout bearing lever has no resistance and I can hear it touching the pressure plate right at the end of its travel. Do I have to swap the throwout bearing with one from a 1990+? The trans is an 89.

I've got a jerry can and lighter on the floor next to the car. I'm running out of options here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in