Tighter shifter linkage - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default Tighter shifter linkage

How to stiffen up your shifter linkage for less play? I know i need to replace the shifter bushing and the other two bushings are poly. Cant afford rcautoworks shifter linkage upgrade yet.
D2ZBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2ZBOY View Post
How to stiffen up your shifter linkage for less play? I know i need to replace the shifter bushing and the other two bushings are poly. Cant afford rcautoworks shifter linkage upgrade yet.
As much as I love RC's stuff. If you can't afford it, just get the energy suspension kit.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna

Is the shifter rubber in the energy suspension kit?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The ES bushings are only for the shift stabilizer rod, not the actual shift rod. If you have serious slop in the shifter you need these parts:

1x 12
2x 4
2x 5
4x 24

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enoughbopApocalypse will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

as sentry kind of pointed out, there's a number of places you could have slop in the system.

The ES bushings replace 15/20, and the bushing that bolts into 18, 10, etc. Don't know for sure, but I don't think that those are a big cause of play.

#8 can wear out as well.

The whole system of bits at the bottom of the shifter (part #'s sentry pointed out) definitely can get loose - my old CRX was that way.

From what I know and have read, the looseness for 80% of people is the U-joint in #13. IIRC you may be able to get a new shift linkage from Honda for ~$50. Or, have somebody weld a new joint in there...

One other thing to look at, and cheap to do, is the spring pin, #28 - it still may be a pain to get out, but not as tight against all the surfaces as it needs to be - installing a brand new pin in my crx made a big difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bopApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2ZBOY View Post
Is the shifter rubber in the energy suspension kit?
its not rubber, its polyurethane. and yes they come in the kit.

also, you'll want to get the bushing kit for the bottom portion of the shifter.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 drewmob will become famous soon enoughdrewmob will become famous soon enoughdrewmob will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

i used the ES kit with a short-throw on my old hatch and wasn't that impressed. it will clean up a lot of slop but not 100% of it. i think the issue on a fwd is that you're running linkage a long way to the trans instead of having the shifter come out the top or have much shorter linkage like you'd find on a rwd... compared to my stock s2k shifter the hatch felt like runny poop.
drewmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

pinch the brackets in a vice.

it will be tight as shit after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series Champ

Rep Power: 15 4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to 4drturboD Send a message via Yahoo to 4drturboD

i run the es kit with one of the ebay shifters with the bearings in it instead of bushings. that thing pretty much clicks into gear. it's extremely smooth and crisp.
4drturboD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Thanks guys
Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

If you're going to weld the linkage, the No-Slop steering joint mod looks like it would work nicely.
The Kakabox Build - Red Pepper Racing
hisnibs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Having a shop do my no slop steering joint mod.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

can you post where you got the materials?

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

EG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 33 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisnibs View Post
If you're going to weld the linkage, the No-Slop steering joint mod looks like it would work nicely.
The Kakabox Build - Red Pepper Racing
what page? there is 123 pages!!

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!
EG6-Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

12ozwrecker It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

jus rock the bushings. i just did em a few weeks ago. no slop anymore. good shifter feel..do it cheapo

Quote:
A true hot rodder is a hot rodder plain and simple Brand age etc is not that important....We are here because we hot rod Hondas, not because we ONLY hot rod Hondas.
word.
12ozwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well I got the no slop steering linkage from summit.
Summit Racing SUM-770650 - Summit Racing® Military Specification U-Joints - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!

shifter bushings dont do shit you need to find shift linkage were the u joint has no play

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano

thats kinda expensive for a piece so small

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

12ozwrecker It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
shifter bushings dont do shit you need to find shift linkage were the u joint has no play

It did quite a bit in the left to right play of the shifter while in gear, and it helped overall shift security, feels like its actually connected to tranny.
But then again my bushings were pretty junk.

Quote:
A true hot rodder is a hot rodder plain and simple Brand age etc is not that important....We are here because we hot rod Hondas, not because we ONLY hot rod Hondas.
word.
12ozwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

yeah, those bushings dont do shit... the problem is the stupid joint thats moves all sorts of ways for no reason.... i dont see why honda made it like that

best time so far

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in