Honda D Series Forum banner

Wheel started vibrating today! Opinions?

1K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  fade2blk500 
#1 ·
I have a 94 Del SOl and on the way to work today the right tire seemed to start vibrating and the car began pulling to the right. It started as a slight rumble/vibration when I would let out of the accelerator, but quickly became a consistent vibration noticable at any speed and it is pulling the steering wheel to the right. There is also clicking noise when turning the car that is with rotations of the tire. I checked the lug nuts and they are tight and the tire does not seem to rock in and out (top to bottom and left to right).

Has any one seen this behavior before? It feels like it may be the CV joint, but I am not a mechanic. Can this bee a tie rod end or ball joint creating this issue. I am taking it into the shop today, but just wanted to get any ones opinion that may have had this happen to them before I get jacked by a shop.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a 94 Del SOl and on the way to work today the right tire seemed to start vibrating and the car began pulling to the right. It started as a slight rumble/vibration when I would let out of the accelerator, but quickly became a consistent vibration noticable at any speed and it is pulling the steering wheel to the right. There is also clicking noise when turning the car that is with rotations of the tire. I checked the lug nuts and they are tight and the tire does not seem to rock in and out (top to bottom and left to right).

Has any one seen this behavior before? It feels like it may be the CV joint, but I am not a mechanic. Can this bee a tie rod end or ball joint creating this issue. I am taking it into the shop today, but just wanted to get any ones opinion that may have had this happen to them before I get jacked by a shop.

Thanks.
Could be a couple things?? Wheel bearing, shock is bad, maybe its just time for an alignment, and a bad cv joint could be your problem.

I think your first guess is probably the best guess.

#5 ·
A split boot may let the grease sling onto the inside of the rim, possibly causing the vibration. There may be some grease/dirt compound that made it's way onto the brake caliper, restricting the sliding part of the caliper, thus brake drag.

Tie rod ends and ball joints generally wear/fail gradually, not all of a sudden.

Tell us what you find.

#6 ·
I gotta strongly say that it has to be a Ball joint either is damage or not torque in rite cause i notice dat im missing the castle nut and when i jack up the car in the air i notice when i pull on the wheel dat it jiggles so take ur wheel off and inspected them try pulling on the control arms and see what might be lose or broke (KEEP US UPDATED)

#7 ·
inner cv joint.. that goes into trans.. or axle nut.. my friend had a ls vtec into his crx by hookups.. they left the axle nut loose it fell off and his car was vibrating bad... we had to tow it home.. he got lucky and his tire didnt fall off

#9 ·
Here's one more for ya. I don't think this is your problem, but it does cause wheel vibration. On rare occasion the screws holding in the rotor come loose. If one of them works itself out the whole wheel goes wonky since your rims aren't sitting flush.

#12 ·
same prob

i had the same problem in my 88 crx i just repaced the a arms and all the ball joints and everything was fine the first tire to start was the left side so i pulled the tire and it was the rotor bolt problem tightened them up and it was fine, fine for about 200 miles then the right tire statred vibrating it was a wheel bearing becouse when you held the tire and shook it backand forth there was a little bit of play in the wheel thats how i new it was the bearing so give that a try if you dont no.

#13 ·
Try jacking the car up and shaking the wheel down for any kind of movements. If there is none, I'd lean towards the cv axle..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.