1992 Civic Shuttle RT4WD - what are the most up to date coilovers? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 1992 Civic Shuttle RT4WD - what are the most up to date coilovers?

Good day guys,

So currently I own shuttle wagon, and there is nothing specific for them. Now I have 5th gen civic weitec spring/shock kit with larger front forks to make them work.

I am deliberating of buying these:BR Series Coilover : Type RS

Front : Rubber Top Mount
Rear : Rubber Top Mount or No Top Mount

6/4Kg/mm EF9/ED Civic CRX 88-91

From my understanding 6/4kg should be super smooth riding. Also, the shock itself would be much larger and stronger.

If you think there is something newer on the market that rides better for a daily let me know. Or some super tested combination.

Cheers.
TadasB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I don't have any great recommendation, but i know that my Teins were soft in the rear (I think they're 8/4kg front/rear) and they're far too soft. Problem is, they're designed for hatches/CRX's and not only are the wagons heavier in the rear because of their styling, but due to the RT driveline. My Teins hit the bump stops way too quickly, so you don't get the comfort of a softly sprung coilover. I plan on replacing them with something much stiffer in the rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm that is interesting. I wonder what other options I should go for.
TadasB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

I think I've mentioned before that I'm very happy with the BC Racing coilovers I have on the Integra. They're BR Series and easy to adjust. I don't know the actual spring rates, though.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

You may want to look for a drag racing coilover if you can find one.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I came across this website while having a browse which helps to calculate suitable spring rates:

https://www.qa1.net/technical-suppor...ring-rate-tech

I came to around 11.3kg FR and 6.7kg rears being suitable which looks too stiff in the front... Lots of guess work because i'm sitting at work and didn't take any measurements off the car, but here are my workings:

Car weight ~1050kg distributed 63/37 (661.5kg front 388.5 rear... rounded to 662/389). Divide those numbers by 2 to get the per axle weight (331kg each front wheel, 195kg (rounded up) each rear wheel.

Take a geez at that website and work out the angle correction factor (ACF) and add it to the weights. I don't remember there being much of an angle, i chose 10. This changes the FR/R axle weights to: 337/199.

More guess work, but i guessed the control arms to be 350mm, and the shock bolts approx 250mm from the body. 250/350=Force Ratio, FR = 0.71. Apply the force ratio to the axle weight (front = 475, rear 280). Then apply the ACF (Front ASF: 484 Rear ASF: 286)

Now use these to calculate spring rate. I guessed the free spring length to be 170mm with a 0.25 static compression. ASF/(FSLx0.25)

= 11.3KG front 6.7KG rear

I think my weight distribution might be a bit off, probably actually more rear biased. Would have to check the service manual for the actual distribution for the 4wd models. Plus, i've removed PS/AC and relocated the battery to the rear, so i reckon it would probably be closed to 57/43 which brings the spring rates to FR 10.3kg / R 7.7kg

Last edited by EFB055; 10-31-2018 at 05:42 PM.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
LTB
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 LTB is learning the way of the DLTB is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I have godspeed mono RS coilovers spring rates are 10k/8k f/r. That's pretty close to your specs!

FVSCC.COM

CWSCC.COM

BEYONDREDLINE.COM
---------------------------------------
LTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in