I want a stiffer pedal - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default I want a stiffer pedal

Hello everyone, I have a 90 hatch and I want to make my brake pedal more stiff. I have driven multiple civics and none seem to have a stiff pedal like mine...but I want more. I already have SS brake lines and integra rear disc conversion. I'm going to be upgrading my brakes in the future because it's going to be a track car, but for now how would I make it stiffer? I wouldn't mind deleting the brake booster since the car is light, but I'd rather not for now. The engagement point is pretty high but I'd like it to be stiff immediately. I'd love to hear you guys thoughts.
WiiFace100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Stiffer pedal = You'll need to stand on the pedal to stop. The firewall flex comes into play and pedal modulation goes out the window.

Put OEM lines from NAPA back on it instead of the spongy SS lines that have to be replaced every 3-5 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Shortening the pedal will reduce the throw and consequently make the distance to the engagement point shorter.

Else, delete the booster, or play with the MC diameter. Bigger diameter = More force required but quicker to engagement point. Smaller diameter = Less force but takes longer to reach engagement point.

Or just put a rock under the brake pedal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Stiffer pedal = You'll need to stand on the pedal to stop. The firewall flex comes into play and pedal modulation goes out the window.

Put OEM lines from NAPA back on it instead of the spongy SS lines that have to be replaced every 3-5 years.
ive never used SS lines before.

i thought they where to remove sponginess? also why would you have to replace them so often?

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

The newer coated lines don't have all the problems like the old ones did of dust getting in between the braid and teflon. I've had one on the clutch of my Toyota pickup for about 8 years but it probably doesn't see the pressure of a brake system. But it has seen over 100k.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

If you want a "stiffer" brake pedal, either remove the booster or install a larger brake master cylinder.

Removing the booster will not affect the travel distance of the pedal, but it will significantly increase the force required to engage the braking system. But, that should make your foot more sensitive to feedback in the pedal.

The other method would be to increase the master cylinder diameter. I did have a 1" master and booster off a DC on my CRX, and I liked it at first, but now that I have had more seat time over the past 10 years, I no longer like how dead the pedal feels.

Another benefit of removing the booster, if you left foot brake under throttle (think AutoX), you will no longer have that loss of power assist when the engine isn't pulling vacuum.

My advice would be to go to a booster-less 13/16" master cylinder.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD

Last edited by LowFlyin'; 07-20-2018 at 08:42 AM.
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdxude View Post
ive never used SS lines before.

i thought they where to remove sponginess? also why would you have to replace them so often?
How does a thinner line prevent flexing? The SS is only there as protection, not to prevent flexing.

I've had two SS line failures, both sleeved and unsleeved, both were at about the 5 year mark.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
If you want a "stiffer" brake pedal, either remove the booster or install a larger brake master cylinder.

Removing the booster will not affect the travel distance of the pedal, but it will significantly increase the force required to engage the braking system. But, that should make your foot more sensitive to feedback in the pedal.

The other method would be to increase the master cylinder diameter. I did have a 1" master and booster off a DC on my CRX, and I liked it at first, but now that I have had more seat time over the past 10 years, I no longer like how dead the pedal feels.

Another benefit of removing the booster, if you left foot brake under throttle (think AutoX), you will no longer have that loss of power assist when the engine isn't pulling vacuum.

3/4" boosterless on a several time SCCA national champion DA Integra.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
The newer coated lines don't have all the problems like the old ones did of dust getting in between the braid and teflon. I've had one on the clutch of my Toyota pickup for about 8 years but it probably doesn't see the pressure of a brake system. But it has seen over 100k.
Also doesn't see the flexing from suspension travel or when turning.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Stiffer return spring?

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Henry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post

We run a 15/16" mc with a deleted booster. This is with a DA brake swap front and rear with EBC yellow pads all around. In removing the booster, we added an adjustable mc push rod and the means to adjust pedal height.

These mods gave us a brake pedal that is really firm, but consistent and easy to modulate. If you want to not do much modification, the best you can do is to increase the mc bore size. Past that, you are left with deleting the booster. This might not be your best choice for a daily driver as the increased pedal pressure will quickly get tiring in regular stop and go driving.
Henry44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

You could use one of those master cylinder stopper things that bolt to the strut tower. Originally thought they'd do nothing, but seeing how much the firewall flexes under heavy braking i reckon it'd probably help with pedal feel. Particularly if you choose not to run a booster.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I wonder if you changed the prop valve to match rear disc conv.???
kenny6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

I just did a rear disc conversion on my 98 civic. I havent got to drive it yet. Some parts of the rear wheels do not spin freely. I am still troubleshooting that. Also I havnt changed the prop valve. I read that since I have a 98 EX that shouldnt have to switch it. Is that true?
Declipsem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
3/4" boosterless on a several time SCCA national champion DA Integra.
Is that an aftermarket MC?
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

FIrewall flex is a big thing with these cars. Using a MC stop of some kind will help a lot. If you have rear drums, make sure they are adjusted as close as possible without dragging. Make sure all the pins are lubed correctly and that everything stays clean. A larger MC will help, but if the firewall is flexing, you are going to be chasing a changing engagement point without really realizing it.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in