Spring rate question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Spring rate question

So I just picked up a 92 teg and I'm redoing all the suspension parts. I'm going with a coilover setup so I can dial in the ride height. I found some Godspeed coilovers with dampening adjustable shocks. The front springs are 10 k and the backs are 8. I'm wondering if this might be too stiff as I personally would prefer something a little bit softer for daily use. Plus the 90-93 tegs don't have much in the way of choice for suspension. Let me know what you guys think. I'm also wondering if you can buy a softer spring to swap out.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

plenty of suspension choices, but why? you'll regret running race springs on the street.

10k front, 12k rear...or 14k, even 16k for racing.

Also any company that lists their spring rates in metric, has no clue WTF is going on and using it for marketing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Well everyone seems to only have a 2 inch drop on their springs and I want to have more control on the drop. The fronts on these after converting to pounds is 560 lbs in the front and 488 in the rear. The teins I saw were 285 lbs rate. So this would be ultra stiff. I'm still playing with the options but Im still doing my research to make sure I get what I want.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I had 12kf/10kr PIC select coilovers on my Civic (760lbf/670lbr) and my kidneys were not happy. I didn't mind so much after having them for a few years. But when I went to do suspension for my Subaru ... I went a little softer 550lbf/450lbr ... and I'm very happy I made the switch to the softer springs.

Also the adjustable dampening is "meh" for the street. It was great (and mildly useful) when I was at AutoCross events, but if you aren't racing ... its an extra expense that you can probably avoid.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

The rear spring rate is going to have more of an impact on perceived ride quality than the fronts. If you want the car to still have a "comfortable" ride, I'd recommend a 350-400# spring in the rear, max. 500-700# for the front, with good dampening, should be fine.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I am not an expert but I have had a bunch of different set ups and found that what was more important then spring rates was a well matched shock to the spring. My current setup is AMR Coilovers on my CRX. Originally I was going with Progress CS2, but I ended up sending AMR a full breakdown of my car and driving, and let him choose the spring rates. I believe it is around 500/400, which is WAY harder than the Eibach stuff I had before but it actually rides a lot better due to the valving in the shocks being a better match.

If you are looking at Godspeed range in budget definitely go look at Progress though they won't go as low, they will last a lot longer, ride a lot better and probably handle a lot better as well. A well matched system designed by smart people works REALL well.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I found these Tein springs and was thinking of some KYB struts. It's a 1.2 inch drop(we have really shitty roads here) and I'm not planning on racing the car. We also have really large speedbumps and I don't want to scrape everywhere I go. Just a fast DD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180227-160932.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	123985  

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Was really wanting coilovers for the height control but I really only wanted a 1-1.5 in drop anyways. So this seems like a better option.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
I am not an expert but I have had a bunch of different set ups and found that what was more important then spring rates was a well matched shock to the spring. My current setup is AMR Coilovers on my CRX. Originally I was going with Progress CS2, but I ended up sending AMR a full breakdown of my car and driving, and let him choose the spring rates. I believe it is around 500/400, which is WAY harder than the Eibach stuff I had before but it actually rides a lot better due to the valving in the shocks being a better match.

If you are looking at Godspeed range in budget definitely go look at Progress though they won't go as low, they will last a lot longer, ride a lot better and probably handle a lot better as well. A well matched system designed by smart people works REALL well.
This. My PICs handled great ... but were a bit harsh. My Ohlins on my Subaru are magic. Granted the spring rates are close to 100 lbs lighter per corner, but there's no harshness at all. They ride really close to stock (with a little more road feel), but handle way better.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

So I settled on this setup. Tein S tech springs. 1.5 in drop with TruHart Shocks. I'll post a review once I get them on the car. The shocks are an inch shorter to accommodate the shorter springs and are a sport shock so it should pair nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180316_205717_01.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	944.1 KB
ID:	124265  

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

So I started the rebuild on the suspension. It's a nightmare. One of the bolts on the front shock for snapped. Everyone refused to fix it for me so I bout a new set off eBay. Then one of the rear lower control arms had to be cut apart due to a bolt being fused in the shock mount. So I bought a new set of those and all of this comes in later this week. Also the trailing arm bushings will need to be pulled( I already bought a new set of those). It was causing excessive play in the rearend. Then I found that the tension rods up front are missing some bushings causing excessive caster on one side. Joys of a 25+ year old car.

92 teg ( new project)

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in