Talking New struts: 1987 Honda CRX HF - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Talking New struts: 1987 Honda CRX HF

HOLY SHIT! That was the smile on my face when I hit that first hard turn. My car has had its original struts. my 1987 crx hf has 174k miles and is 100% stock.

Quick thought ... this forum has been boss since 2006 when i bought my rex, and has helped me with everything like BHG and timing belt change.

Just installed new OEM-rated KYB gr2 excel struts all around. Difference is HUGE and noticeable immediately.

Going around turns is a world of difference...the way the car stays flat and stable is insane. way better improvement than I imagined. I actually have to steer less to make it turn the same amount, and i can DESTROY turns now. not to mention even driving on the highway feels new.

Annnd....it only takes 2-3 hours of work. WOW!!
Love this forum and my little old beastly rex 100%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bonus12; 12-21-2017 at 07:51 PM.
bonus12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default Talking New struts: 1987 Honda CRX HF

HOLY SHIT! That was the smile on my face when I hit that first hard turn. My car has had its original struts. my 1987 crx hf has 174k miles and is 100% stock.

Quick thought ... this forum has been boss since 2006 when i bought my rex, and has helped me with everything like BHG and timing belt change.

Just installed new OEM-rated KYB gr2 excel struts all around. Difference is HUGE and noticeable immediately.

Going around turns is a world of difference...the way the car stays flat and stable is insane. way better improvement than I imagined. I actually have to steer less to make it turn the same amount, and i can DESTROY turns now. not to mention even driving on the highway feels new.

Annnd....it only takes 2-3 hours of work. WOW!!
Love this forum and my little old beastly rex 100%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Just a friendly piece of advice; there’s no need to post the same thing twice in two separate sections

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Itís amazing what new parts can do for 30 year old car

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

Well then koni yellows with GC's would really blow your mind... set up properly.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty d View Post
Well then koni yellows with GC's would really blow your mind... set up properly.
Just the Koni yellows would.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Pretty sure GC wouldnt make fronts for a 1st gen.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!

No, but BC still does!

https://www.bcracing-na.com/products...22-1987-5096on
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

That is interesting! It has been years since I had a first gen so I havent kept up with them. I assume the coilover goes in the stock shock location. Do they usually remove the torsion bars or just unwind them a bit?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

I just finished the job the other day. Fyi, in stock form the front has no springs but does have a torsion bar. The rear has springs but no torsion bar.

What a fantastic vehicle, 1713 lb. curb weight turns on a dime. On a dime. lol.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Years ago I had an 86 si that I got for $150 bucks because it had a bad head rebuild. I put on a B2 head, mpfi dizzy, mpfi intake, a modified idler pulley, an obd0 pr4 running turbo edit, and a saab t3 turbo and intercooler.

Thing accelerated great, FAR better straight line traction than my 88 b16 that had WAY better tires. Me and my buddy used to call it the white elephant though because it handled about like an elephant on a serious bender. I learned how to drive on an 86 ford aerostar that had front end damage and was missing the front swaybar, I have driven multiple cube vans and large trucks, and that 86 si was, and still is, the worst handling vehicle I have ever driven by a wide, WIDE margin.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Why do you think that was? Even with the old struts in my rex, it could take turns quite fast and keep predictable traction. I gained experience on empty backroads, where it tipped so much in turns that it made passengers scared. Also, the bad struts were causing an understeer. But even at break point, the tires would always "sing" evenly, and if i lost a little grip, i could turn the wheel more to compensate. really fun actually!

Now with these new struts, I can take a turn at a higher speed, but even before them, this car was so nimble and maneuverable.

Last edited by bonus12; 12-23-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

No clue why it was so terrible, I have owned several second gens, and the worst of them, which was a terrible suspension hackjob that handled way worse then stock, handled 10x better than the stock suspension on the single 1st gen I have owned.

That thing was scary doing freeway turns at the speed limit. Once my buddy took it to a flat dirt lot and was screwing around at maybe 10mph while I was outside the car watching. He turned quickly, a turn that any stock 2nd gen would take without sneezing, and instead of sliding, he almost rolled the car. He got one of the rear tires 12-15" off the ground... At 10 MPH or less... On a super low friction surface. That suspension looked dead stock, but god was it terrifying.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
That is interesting! It has been years since I had a first gen so I havent kept up with them. I assume the coilover goes in the stock shock location. Do they usually remove the torsion bars or just unwind them a bit?
Don't know, but came across them when a friend recommended I check their page for "The Bucket".
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
No, but BC still does!
Good stuff, too. I have them on the Integra. The adjustment's easy and it doesn't take long to get the stance and ride height you want - along with the ride itself, of course.

I'd recommend them.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 04:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Im wondering if its worth putting on a strut because the precentage of the efficiency is not that high

Well see

Last edited by slo_eg8; 02-18-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Nodkatlany2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shocks struts 1st civic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in