Stiff spring with minimal drop - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Stiff spring with minimal drop

Currently have eibach prokits on an 89 crx. I like the height but would like a stiffer spring without more drop. Does this exist or will i be best off with ground controls?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Sound like gc would be yor best bet. Or any coilover for that matter
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

I just installed some ground controls with Tokico shocks on my integra and it is pretty low, but it still rode pretty smooth.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

I kind of expected these responses lol
just was hopeful that someone knew a spring i could use.
If I can find an effective way of meeting my goals for less I will take it as long as it is quality. I have been going back and forth between Progress CS2 with 350lb/in on each corner, or Koni Yellow with a matched spring.

I have really liked the Eibach pro kit, but it has always been a just a little bot soft for me, and recently i switched to a wider wheel (Konig Greenlight 15x6.5 to konig Dial in 15x7) and under some cornering situations with uneven roads i have light fender to tire contact).

Anyway control is most important, I am not into serious drops any more, I feel the CRX is already fairly low and add in that I often commute in houston LOL potholes can be bad here!

thanks for the input, I wont waste my time hunting for a spring that would probably be more difficult to get than a coilover setup that works well.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Contact a suspension place, there are some that make custom springs. You might be able to get some that are long enough to not lower the car but stiff enough to give you the ride you want. I think GC actually has an option like that on their website. All you need is springs with the proper OD and length and they should fit. Otherwise maybe contacting Eibach directly, they may have a spring that would meet your requirements.

Another recommendation, PSI in Sonoma, CA. I worked with them to get the coilovers for my legacy and they are incredibly professional and helpful. If they don't have the answer, I'm sure they'll be able to direct you somewhere that does.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Awesome! I am always looking for ideas, my buddy wants me to autocross, and we are talking a trip to the tail of the dragon this fall. If i had the money i would go for some PIC coilovers but right now i need that money for a compound turbo for my truck. Process CS2 may be the choice unless I can find a set of coils for koni yellows that run me 200ish.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

you say the ebaich pro kit is a bit soft, but once you have ALL the suspension bushings either solid or stiffer material, that kit is actually pretty awesome.

my del sol had the ES master kit with cheap quick struts all around, and it drove very smooth, manageable, and controlled. and that car had no sway bars

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I am glad you are happy with the setup.
I have replaced radius rod bushings, front lower control arms, front upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, inner tie rods, steering rack end bushing, strut mount bushings, sway bar bushings, sway bar endlink bushings, rear lower control arms with urethane bushings, new factory rear upper control arms, rear sway bar bushings, solid end links on the rear sway bar, urethane strut mount bushings in the rear, trailing arm bushings replaced, toe links replaced with solid adjustable links and almost all of this is within the past few years. Some parts are Energy suspension, some are factory and a few are aftermarket oem replacement. The springs and struts are the oldest parts on the suspension. Recently upgraded tires and wheels, and the control, especially when one side is loaded in a turn is not what I want, too soft...
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

neuspeed sofsports with Koni yellow, same rate as their sport springs, only 3/4 in. drop.
Works well if you dont feel like going full coilovers.
lexlothar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I have had phone calls with PIC and Progress and read a ton more about the Koni GC combo as well as AMR coilovers. I think I could be happy with any of them. The PIC and AMR look like the best of everything and massive overkill for me. Progress asked about current car mods, driving style, roads i drive on, car use and recommended 450/350 or 350/350 springs and at that price with their time in the market it seems the best bet for the minimal drop i want.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I ran some HR Sports "back in the day". To me the car didnt even look lowered. Was significantly stiffer than stock but softer than HR Race for sure.

CRX/ED Civic I would go 350/300 for a car you expect to flog hard. Stiffer starts to get a bit crazy and needs some pretty serious dampening. Even my Bilsteins dont do a good enough job, its just such a light car. From my 15ish years driving one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Last edited by FarmerD; 03-14-2017 at 01:52 PM.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

SofSports on OEM style shocks, dampening is fine. With snow tires on the CRX it is at normal ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I called around, went back and forth. I ended up spending a little more than I aimed for, but I have a set of ARM coilovers coming. They shipped yesterday, they are massive overkill, but the warranty, service and "built" for my car aspect sold me. Springs are on the stiff end of the range i was looking at, but with the dampers being matched I am confident that it will be a good setup for me.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

What spring rates did you end up going for? I did a TON (weeks) of reading before I bought mine last year. The thing I found consistent in all the info was that you should always go with stiffer front springs and softer rears for a daily driver, otherwise it can make for a rather uncomfortable ride.

I ended up getting Koni yellows with the Ground Control coilover kit with 400F/350R for my Del Sol. It's a bit on the stiffer side, because I've been thinking of trying out autocross, but it's not too rough for daily driving and offers pretty neutral steering. If it's strictly a street car I would definitely take the advice of FarmerD and go with 350F/300R, but I know you already bought them.

Last edited by Animag771; 03-24-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Animag771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I had been looking at a range of 350-450, basically 350/350 or 450/350, allowing for aggressive street, or mild track use. I shared my current setup and what I hoped to achieve with the car, and AMR recommended a 500/400, he felt that the valving they offered would keep street driving bearable at that rate yet also allow for better track use if I chose that. Still slightly less stiff than what PIC suggested though.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Valving will make all the difference. Soft springs with shitty valving will feel worse that stiff springs with good valving.

Currently running 550/450 in my Legacy on some Ohlins. I'm thinking about bumping up another 100lbs on each corner ... but I'm at about the limit of what the OTS valving can handle. They ride like butter.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

400-600lbs of car makes a huge difference to how the spring rate will feel. My best example was taking my buddy club race specs off the EK, and putting them on the DC. In the Civic, they were basically insane. Very rough for a DD. But in the teg, they were PERFECT! I was pretty surprised.

In for some feed back once you get it on the road and shake it all down. I like how you keep the rear stiffer it should make the car more neutral. Hopefully there isnt a huge anti sway bar back there!

I should also mention I am getting old, so softer springs are probably a result. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I actually have an Integra ST sway bar on the rear, but when i talked to Andy at AMR we discussed everything i had done to the car, engine, trans and suspension, he wanted to know as much as possible before making a recommendation. I would say it was not until about the 5th or 6th email discussing the car, the roads, and driving I do that he finally recommended spring rates. In comparison the PIC setup I was considering is 672/560 rates!

They finished assembling the coilovers last Thursday and shipped that same day. Slated to arrive this Thursday, unfortunately I work Wednesday and Friday and will probably be way too tired to install until next week.

I have known for a while my suspension was getting tired, and as I age I have been more hesitant to just dive into stuff without asking a lot of questions, especially with comfort related things (this car has ac and will never NOT have it for example), so the much stiffer springs that come with most coilovers have had me really hesitant to jump. I already drive a shitty dually that is overloaded 48 hours a week, I am in my 40s, I have arthritis in my left knee, both shoulders and thoracic spine as well (t4-t7 have degenerative issues)...but this is not my main driver so when i do drive it I want to really have fun.

I am really hoping that since it is a well designed system it will give the control that i want without a lot of the harshness that the higher spring rates would suggest on a short wheel base car. Worst case scenario I can change springs out...
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
I am really hoping that since it is a well designed system it will give the control that i want without a lot of the harshness that the higher spring rates would suggest on a short wheel base car. Worst case scenario I can change springs out...
That's the really tough part. It's always a compromise between comfort and performance. I hope they work out for you. Keep us updated.
Animag771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Holy crap these things are amazing. Install took longer than I wanted, i could not use the compressor since i had too much on that circuit to power it up, 2 hours with hand tools...
anyway they are stiff but manageable, ride is pretty good, better than i expected.

But they are too low lol i am tucked all around and making some contact, probably an inch lower than I was, so tomorrow when i can use the comrpessor they come up an inch and then i schedule to get corner balanced!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in